Plastic Renewing Tip.... -PICS-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the brand name, my friend worked at a chemical plant and got them for me about 3 years ago. He said they were chemical/solvent resistant and go to the elbows. They are a heavy rubber type. They are getting super stiff now, but still don't leak. Unfortunately, the plant shut down. :cry: I could use a new pair.

...Not many:
http://ansellpro.com/main/technicalCenter_faq2.asp?fid=16
http://www.ishn.com/Articles/Cover_Story/75cbd0b04efb7010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

Looks like it chews through just about anything (not surprisingly). Double gloving with neoprene and heavy nitrile might work for a while (don't go for long without checking/changing gloves), or if you plan to use this trick often, go for the laminate gloves.

I've always used nitrile, but only for incidental splash or quick clean up, as I have never been soaking in it like this trick will have you doing.

-Dave

hey ed,
out of curiosity, what does the plastic look like after cleaning but before the fresh coat of lacquer?

i have a 038 i plan to use hard. i wanna clean it up like you did but i don't want to fiddle with the painting.:chainsaw:

also, is lacquer what you sprayed on the 015? how's it hold up against fuel?

thanks for the tips!
:cheers:

hey ed,
out of curiosity, what does the plastic look like after cleaning but before the fresh coat of lacquer?

i have a 038 i plan to use hard. i wanna clean it up like you did but i don't want to fiddle with the painting.:chainsaw:

also, is lacquer what you sprayed on the 015? how's it hold up against fuel?

thanks for the tips!
:cheers:

After you buff it with the pad and thinner, it will look milky and dull. The clear gives it the shine and color back. Yes, I did the 015 in lacquer and baked it. Its so-so as far as the fuel goes. Two part Urethane is the best to use. Its fuel resistant. I did a quicky on the 015. The rest of my restores will be the urethane.

What kind of gloves are going to hold up to lacquer thinner?

Good question Brad. Most of us use Nitril gloves for everything and think we are OK. Grabbing a box off the Snapon truck, Home Depot, Walmart...may be fine when repacking bearings, but working with solvents...not so much.

Grab a set of the dish washing gloves (the old style rubber that come up to your elbows). I have a set I use that came with a rotisserie oven the wife bought, very heavy rubber and have worked well for a few years.

Even with mineral spirits Nitril gloves will break down in a couple minutes.

I'll post up a few links as to what and where to find them later on.

What kind of gloves are going to hold up to lacquer thinner?

black rubber gloves work the longest. usually found with the parts cleaner liquids or in the paint isle of a box-store. I get a year out of a set and i clean paintguns every day with our laquer-thinner bay. they are labeled "Solvent Glove" and will even hold up to MEK and xylol so the thinner is childs play to the glove. not expensive maybe $15 and the will outlast a dish glove ten times over.

Last edited:
When I handled thinner daily I used to use ones that look just like the yellow dishwashing gloves, only they are green (i think nitrile), and they last better than anything. I have used the same style glove, but the orange ones, and they didnt last quite as long as the green ones. As far as the thin little shop nitrile gloves, I'd be lucky to get 10 minutes out of a pair of those. So if you go with the green or orange (they usually have them with the cleaning/janitorial supplies at lowes and home depot) you will be good to go. They are a bit of a pain to work with until you get used to them because they are so thick, but one you get used to them its good to go. Just for reference, like I said I would literally get maybe 10 minutes out of the regular blue nitrile gloves, while I normally got 2 weeks out of a pair of the green or orange ones that I'm talking about.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_40504-1261-2028-55L_4294934297_?productId=3137935&Ntt=gloves&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Building%2BSupplies_4294934297__s?rpp=60$Ntt=gloves

thought it worth adding to this thread even though its an old one because it's linked to and still frequently read.

You cannot overestimate the dangers associated with solvents. Breathing them is bad enough, but getting them on your skin is worse. They do penetrate gloves, they do penetrate skin, get into your blood stream, your liver, kidney and other internal organs. This isn't a scare tactic, it's a known fact. Google around before you go ahead.

Some research has been done on the dangers of exposure to solvents, but less has been done on the effects of the things they carry. Anything a solvent absorbs will also be carried into your body - paints, plastics, chemicals etc. Modern car painters who are washing the paint off their hands at the end of the day with solvent wont be living a long life. The same is true of people handling fibreglass. Most can only handle it for a couple years before they start developing weird symptoms and reactions. This will be the next 'asbestos'.

If bright clear plastics are that important to you, save up and buy them. Don't pay for them with your health.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back