Plastic Renewing Tip.... -PICS-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I finally found an easy and affective way to bring old stained plastic back to life. I tried sanding and soda blasting but was never happy. I used the green Scotch-Brite pad with Lacquer thinner. I would dip the pad in the thinner and scrub. It will evaporate quickly, after about 10 seconds. I would repeat about 3 times then use a paper towel with thinner to clean the grime and pad dust off. Then I would repeat again, scrubbing with the pad and thinner, then finish off with a paper towel and thinner. Then I used a quality lacquer clear coat. It worked great!! The thinner does not eat the plastic, but is strong enough to lift the stains out. The Scotch-Brite wet sanding will not round the edges off either. The trick is to use only Lacquer thinner.... (not paint thinner....could be mineral spirits). I did this cover section in 5 minutes.
arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

wow that looks really really good. My 660 has some black scrapes on it where something black and plastic rubbed on the orange. I might just try that out.

I'll give it a try...looks pretty good. :clap:

Ed

That's some awesome tip you have shared with us! What great thing to do! I tried reping you but they said I have to spread some around first
Lawrence

awesome! Now, if someone had a way of turning the Stihl rear handle plastic back to cream from the orangish yellow it's turned into, we'd ba a happy bunch. My kingdom for that secret......

Fantastic tip. Tried to rep ya but this thing wont let me.....

It looks great but a caution to anyone trying this: lacquer thinner is one of the nastiest solvents that the common folk can get their hands on. The glycol ethers in it are vey bad to breathe. A well ventilated work space is very much required and a respirator with carbon cartridges (Organic Vapor or "OV") is a very good idea, and maybe critical depending on how long you are doing this or how good the ventilation is.

I've sprayed lacquer, and won't do it without a respirator on. Very nasty solvents. And of course, very flammable too.

But it looks great...just use some good safety sense with this stuff.

-Dave

Ed- looks great. I'm on my way to get some Scotch Brite pads right now.

Those Mister Clean "Magic Erase" things work good on newer plastic that is scuffed or has back marks in it from a starter handle.

It looks great but a caution to anyone trying this: lacquer thinner is one of the nastiest solvents that the common folk can get their hands on. The glycol ethers in it are vey bad to breathe. A well ventilated work space is very much required and a respirator with carbon cartridges (Organic Vapor or "OV") is a very good idea, and maybe critical depending on how long you are doing this or how good the ventilation is.

I've sprayed lacquer, and won't do it without a respirator on. Very nasty solvents. And of course, very flammable too.

-Dave

:agree2: Wear rubber gloves also.

Excellent job its gonna come in handy.Rep comin your way for sure.
Brian

Excellent tip. Exercise caution like they said, specially around the wood stoves heating the shop. I know most of us is smarter than that, I'm just saying. Why can't we rep Arrowhead?:censored:

-Dave

Just so everyone gets a second chance to read and understand this post. A side door open does not equal "well ventilated". Hell outside on a calm day I'm still putting a respirator on with this stuff.

Latest posts

Back