Plastic Renewing Tip.... -PICS-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
I finally found an easy and affective way to bring old stained plastic back to life. I tried sanding and soda blasting but was never happy. I used the green Scotch-Brite pad with Lacquer thinner. I would dip the pad in the thinner and scrub. It will evaporate quickly, after about 10 seconds. I would repeat about 3 times then use a paper towel with thinner to clean the grime and pad dust off. Then I would repeat again, scrubbing with the pad and thinner, then finish off with a paper towel and thinner. Then I used a quality lacquer clear coat. It worked great!! The thinner does not eat the plastic, but is strong enough to lift the stains out. The Scotch-Brite wet sanding will not round the edges off either. The trick is to use only Lacquer thinner.... (not paint thinner....could be mineral spirits). I did this cover section in 5 minutes.
arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

davec

davec

ArboristSite Operative
It looks great but a caution to anyone trying this: lacquer thinner is one of the nastiest solvents that the common folk can get their hands on. The glycol ethers in it are vey bad to breathe. A well ventilated work space is very much required and a respirator with carbon cartridges (Organic Vapor or "OV") is a very good idea, and maybe critical depending on how long you are doing this or how good the ventilation is.

I've sprayed lacquer, and won't do it without a respirator on. Very nasty solvents. And of course, very flammable too.

But it looks great...just use some good safety sense with this stuff.

-Dave

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
It looks great but a caution to anyone trying this: lacquer thinner is one of the nastiest solvents that the common folk can get their hands on. The glycol ethers in it are vey bad to breathe. A well ventilated work space is very much required and a respirator with carbon cartridges (Organic Vapor or "OV") is a very good idea, and maybe critical depending on how long you are doing this or how good the ventilation is.

I've sprayed lacquer, and won't do it without a respirator on. Very nasty solvents. And of course, very flammable too.

-Dave

:agree2: Wear rubber gloves also.

8433jeff

8433jeff

Aftermarket connoisseur
Excellent tip. Exercise caution like they said, specially around the wood stoves heating the shop. I know most of us is smarter than that, I'm just saying. Why can't we rep Arrowhead?:censored:

Paul001

Paul001

Addicted to ArboristSite

-Dave

Just so everyone gets a second chance to read and understand this post. A side door open does not equal "well ventilated". Hell outside on a calm day I'm still putting a respirator on with this stuff.

Latest posts