Please don't laugh!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at wood carving. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thx yes it is an easter island moai head. kind of an interesting story behind the inhabitants that lived on that island.

Nc

looks good to me. i have a friend who is extremely artistic, works in everything but steel and yours is on par with his earlier works. the main difference between his earlier and later is detail. i believe he eventually started doing his detail work with a large dremel tool since he didn't have a small enough saw.

Very nice!:clap: I have always thought about carving some thing like that but never got around to it. Excellent job for your first attempt at carving. You will do very well. Your proportions seem to be right on. Is it all by sight and feel or did you do some sketching on the log before you carved it?

Tiki

As posted before, it looks good for a tiki/maori head. I would suggest to angle the top of the head so that water runs off,verses saturates on a flat surface.If you get a chance, check out www.tikiroom.com There is a lot of good ideas out there.-ken

Last edited:
the main difference between his earlier and later is detail. .

That's the ticket. Detail is what separates the great from the mediocre.

I'm not sure what it is that separates the mediocre from the rest of us, but I do know that's a lot better than I can do! :laugh:

:cheers:

Very nice!:clap: I have always thought about carving some thing like that but never got around to it. Excellent job for your first attempt at carving. You will do very well. Your proportions seem to be right on. Is it all by sight and feel or did you do some sketching on the log before you carved it?

I had a pic to look at and I made a few lines with crayon to mark where the nose, mouth and head started other than that it was all by eye.

I was thinking of going back over it witha dremel to clean it up a bit. What kind of bits do you recomend using?

That's a great looking chess piece you got there! Now you just need to make 31 more. :cheers:

Kidding, it looks great. Makes me want to give it a try.

That's a great looking chess piece you got there! Now you just need to make 31 more. :cheers:

Kidding, it looks great. Makes me want to give it a try.

HAHA! yeah that would be some game of chess wouldn't it. So I guess then I just made a pawn piece.:cheers:

A Dremel seems small, how about a 4" angle grinder to start?

Actually I do have a 4" grinder and I used it a little. It's hard to get into those tight spaces like where the eyes meet the nose.

HAHA! yeah that would be some game of chess wouldn't it. So I guess then I just made a pawn piece.:cheers:

I was actually thinking it would make a good bishop.

Last edited:
Considering the possibilities...

Can't help but see it as a mailbox post, the base for a bird-feeder, or hollowed to hold unbrellas/canes. I actually like the angles and think it is pretty nice, as-is. Not saying the detailing you spoke of wouldn't make it that much better...some things just look better rough, though. If that is your first work, then we look forward to seeing what's next.

Latest posts

Back