Please help me ID this Stihl!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask and ye shall receive:

attachment.php

attachment.php

looks like a metal tank 038.

(looks like metal to me)

As far as I know the 038's never had a metal tank. We had one of the first versions of the 038 and it had a plastic tank. It also had a serial number much lower than the one posted here. As good as the 038's are they can't hold up a D6:) Later models had a see through portion. The early 028's had a metal tank as did the 048's.

but doesn't have a chain brake
I think you will find it does have a chain brake but the handle is broken off.

Regards

Phil

Not great photos but looks like one of the 038 family and I bet it has a metal tank. The early 038AV's did come with a metal tank. Lots of people say thay are weaker than the plastic but I have never had a problem with them breaking. In Oz those early 038's had a chain brake handle but no internal mechanism. I have converted one to having an operational brake by adding the parts - easy.
I also used a metal tank 042 (cousin of the 038's) for many years without a single problem.
Good saws.

Thanks for the help guys. I really wasn't sure what was underneath all that junk. I do believe this is an 038 with a metal tank, but it appeared slightly bigger than the last 038 I came across. Here are the pictures of it cleaned up. It is a runner, but has been used HARD. Tank has been fixed in a couple places and it is missing the chain brake handle. This was simply a mystery saw that I was cleaning up for a new "customer".

Thanks again,
Marty

attachment.php

attachment.php

This took a tremendous amount of elbow grease to get it to this point!

:agree2:
Surely, it is not an 042.

No. The 042 had both the fuel and the oil caps on the rear handle.

I agree now that it is definitely an 038 with a metal tank. I have never seen one before and never new they existed (the metal tank that is). That's what I like about this site you learn something new every day:)

Regards

Phil

Back