please help.. stihl 038 av magnum list of parts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odlasniwre

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
is there anyway that i can get a service manual or part list for chain saw 038 av magnum.. ? please help.. thank you

thank you.. one more thing.. do you know what kind of chain saw bar size for occasional use only? can you give me the minimum length and the maximum? last is what size of saw chain do i need for the 038 av.?

many thanks..

Huh??

thank you.. one more thing.. do you know what kind of chain saw bar size for occasional use only? can you give me the minimum length and the maximum? last is what size of saw chain do i need for the 038 av.?

many thanks..

The Stihl 038 is a midsize professional logger grade chainsaw. You could run a bar and chain as small as 16" but there are several more sensible saws (lighter in weight with less engine displacement) in the Stihl product line for use with bars that short. I believe Stihl specified a bar as long as 28" for the 038. The typical bar for this saw would be 20-24". The usual chain pitch used with this size saw is 3/8". The drive link count for a 24" bar with 3/8" pitch chain would be 84, with 72 drive links for a 20".

Jimbo

bought a 16" bar..

i bought a 16" bar.. this is what written in the box..

stihl 3/8" P ME

40 cm / 16"

1.3 mm / 0.050

can i used this? for 38 magnum chain saw..

thanks..

i bought a 16" bar.. this is what written in the box..

stihl 3/8" P ME

40 cm / 16"

1.3 mm / 0.050

can i used this? for 38 magnum chain saw..

thanks..

You certainly could use a 16" bar with an 038 magnum as it has ample power. The drive link count would be 55. If you never intend to use a bar any longer than 16", I would heartily recommend that you get a smaller saw as the 038 Magnum would tend to be heavier and more powerful than necessary to drive a 16" bar and chain. The greater weight will mean you will become fatigued more quickly and do less cutting than if you were using a lighter saw. The smaller saw will not cut any slower with a 16" bar than the 038 would with a similar bar. If you want to stay with professional grade saws, the Stihl 026/MS260 or its later descendants, the MS261 ans MS262 would be great choices. For 'Occasional User' grade chainsaws the Stihl MS211 or MS250 are great little machines, light nimble, powerful and very reliable.

Jimbo

The bar and chain your looking at is the 3/8 P. It is a 3/8 extended pitch chain and should not be used on the 038. On the 038, you will need the 33rsc or the 33rmc3 type chain or the regular 3/8 type chain. 16" will take 60 links. That little chain will snap and break with all the power the 038 has.

038 magnum

it's better to use 18".. thank you..

what type of saw chain do i need to buy?

more thanks..

super noob rebuilding 038

After searching for 45 minutes I finally hit on the right word combination to find the 038 parts list here.
Thanks VERY much Stihl-Pioneer!

I am rebuilding our churches 25 yr old 038.
It's the 1st engine I have ever rebuilt.
Broke the vent hose and had no idea what it was so I began my search.
If I hadn't broken the hose I'd have it back together already
Got a cylinder/piston kit.
It had the piston and rings replaced by a dealer about 10 yrs ago.

THREE QUESTIONS:
#1 - Does anyone know where I might find the service/repair manual pdf?
#2 - Is there any way to tell if the crank bearings need replacement w/o opening the lower half of the saw.
#3 - Are there any other parts a smart mechanic would replace while he was at it?

Thanks

I don't suppose you could supply a link could you?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back