Please recommend a small chipper- Boxer x7 vs Vermeer bc700xl or....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a smaller chipper. It seems the bc600 is too small and no longer made. I will be looking for used ones, but I think I am leaning to bc700xl and recently discovered the Boxer X7. Any recommendations? Looking for maneuverable, easier to tow and fix and reliable. Thanks.

What about the 9 inch chipper that Osko makes? I never heard of this brand. It does come with a 30hp Kubota diesel.

What about the 9 inch chipper that Osko makes? I never heard of this brand. It does come with a 30hp Kubota diesel.

Are you referring to Dosko?

Never heard of them until my neighbor rented one. Apparently a model popular with rental companies.

I was impressed with how well it chipped ash and poplar tree debris, for a 9" machine.

Don't recall the engine it used but a well maintained Kubota diesel should be an excellent choice imo.

Opps, yes Dosko. I really like the idea of the Kubota. I am just not sure why you don't see these as much. That concerns me and was wondering if anybody has heard of them. Thanks.

Thanks, but I am looking for something larger than the DR. I am surprised there is such little feedback about the Dosko units.

Thanks, but I am looking for something larger than the DR. I am surprised there is such little feedback about the Dosko units.
Try to be more specific about it's intended use.

If for limited private use the Dosko should be an okay choice.
But for daily commercial use the construction looks to be lightweight for that.

If you want to upgrade at a later date the resale market will be limited.

I plan to use this for myself, neighbors, family and some favors. It is not going to see full commercial use. However, I don't want homeowner grade. The Dosko units seem to be used by rental places, as in the case as well. A rental place is selling this one. One attractive part is that it has a 4 cyl kubota diesel and handles 9 inch brush. It sounds great. But, then I find out that these things really are not made anymore. I was concerned about parts. But, the seller said that parts are still available and sure enough, Dosko is still in business. Not sure why these are not more attractive to people. What part of it looks light weight to you? It is 2700 ish pounds. I need to compare that to the vermeer. The asking price is $7k.

The Vermeer 700xl and Boxer X7 use small Kohler gas, whereas the Dosko uses the Kubota. I am surprised these things are not more popular. There must be a reason.

I plan to use this for myself, neighbors, family and some favors. It is not going to see full commercial use. However, I don't want homeowner grade. The Dosko units seem to be used by rental places, as in the case as well. A rental place is selling this one. One attractive part is that it has a 4 cyl kubota diesel and handles 9 inch brush. It sounds great. But, then I find out that these things really are not made anymore. I was concerned about parts. But, the seller said that parts are still available and sure enough, Dosko is still in business. Not sure why these are not more attractive to people. What part of it looks light weight to you? It is 2700 ish pounds. I need to compare that to the vermeer. The asking price is $7k.
Watched my neighbor operate the Dosko rental machine, didn't notice any issue with it. It bogged down and stalled a few times, but it may have been a gas engine model.

The round discharge chute didn't discharge very far, but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

My only concern would be parts availability. Maybe contact Dosko and see what support is available for the model you are considering.

I noticed the listing for the Dosko but didn't see the number of hours on that, do you know?

I am looking at the 510SD-9-30KD. I called Great Northern and they mentioned that getting parts could end up being an issue in the future. They said knives are fine, but other parts could be a problem. What parts typically need replacement?

I am looking at the 510SD-9-30KD. I called Great Northern and they mentioned that getting parts could end up being an issue in the future. They said knives are fine, but other parts could be a problem. What parts typically need replacement?
Bearings, but it depends on the number of machine hours and lubrication schedule. There are many sources for bearings so this shouldn't be an issue.

If the engine has more than 3K hours I would look elsewhere.

They claim the machine has ABOUT 600 hours on it. The hour meter was just replaced. It is owned by a rental company. When I looked at a parts diagram, I saw some shafts that made me nervous. Bearings should be able to be sourced, but I worry if a shaft gets damaged or something like that, I may be stuck. I found one place that sells parts for them and will call later. The attractive part is the Kubota engine and that it can take 9 inch branches, way better than a 27hp gas Kohler that can do only 7 inch. But..........why the hell didn't they continue such a great concept? Gotta be a reason.

They claim the machine has ABOUT 600 hours on it. The hour meter was just replaced. It is owned by a rental company. When I looked at a parts diagram, I saw some shafts that made me nervous. Bearings should be able to be sourced, but I worry if a shaft gets damaged or something like that, I may be stuck. I found one place that sells parts for them and will call later. The attractive part is the Kubota engine and that it can take 9 inch branches, way better than a 27hp gas Kohler that can do only 7 inch. But..........why the hell didn't they continue such a great concept? Gotta be a reason.
A supplier in nearby MD lists Dosko parts.

Its a lightweight machine, compared to the major brand 12" and up chippers, but this wouldn't be my concern.
I have rented the Vermeer 6" and 7" gas chippers, both a waste of time for my application.

Hard to say why the local rental companies switched to Vermeer. For $50 an hour I can rent a BC1000XL 12" machine.
Maybe Vermeer gave the rental companies a deal that Dosko could not match.

I own a RTV and BX tractor, both with Kubota diesel engines. Each with 1000+ hours they have proven to be reliable and powerful.

Well, I may pass on this machine. But, if I could get parts for it, it sounds perfect. I don't need a big machine. I wont do the 6 inch vermeer. The 7 inch machines seem like they could work for me. If I were to go a little larger, do you have any reliable suggestions?

Well, I may pass on this machine. But, if I could get parts for it, it sounds perfect. I don't need a big machine. I wont do the 6 inch vermeer. The 7 inch machines seem like they could work for me. If I were to go a little larger, do you have any reliable suggestions?
Your budget for this?

I liked this machine because of the Kubota and 9 inch class. I see some machines have old Ford straight 6 engines. That could be good also. I need simple, safe, reliable and cheap to maintain. I have a good deal of commercial lawn equipment and they are all reliable and parts available.

Back