PM800 or 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Freak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok fellas here is my dilemma. A couple weeks ago I bought a Stihl 056 basket case, no bar or chain and it needs a ignition. Now I have the opportunity to buy a PM800 that is said to be in good running condition and comes with an 16" b&c as well as a 28" bar and 2 chains for $100. If the 800 is as described should I buy it and part out the 056 or would I be so much happier with the 056 that I should just concentrate on getting that going? FWIW, it would be the 6th saw that I've acquired since March. I think I just figured out what CAD is an acronym for.

-Joseph

FOA, 6th saw since March is NBD. Why are you slackin'?

IIWM, I'd jump all over the PM800 and part out the 056 ... I'd be $$ ahead. The 056 have been known to have problematic ignition systems and other parts aren't easy to get. Parts for a PM800 are still plentiful, if you know where to look.

Good luck!

FOA, 6th saw since March is NBD. Why are you slackin'?

Good luck!

My paychecks are only so big. Lol! Plus, I'm trying to not be just another Stihl fanboy. Which is hard because there are 2 dealers within 5miles if my house, 1 of those being 3 blocks away. I also like to show up with something that looks worn out and leave with some respect. Secretly, I love my Mac 3200 more than my 029S when being used for their intended purposes. However, $75 for a lightly used 029S is hard to pass up. I'll see how I feel after doing MM on the 029S.

056 ha
My paychecks are only so big. Lol! Plus, I'm trying to not be just another Stihl fanboy. Which is hard because there are 2 dealers within 5miles if my house, 1 of those being 3 blocks away. I also like to show up with something that looks worn out and leave with some respect. Secretly, I love my Mac 3200 more than my 029S when being used for their intended purposes. However, $75 for a lightly used 029S is hard to pass up. I'll see how I feel after doing MM on the 029S.
A 056 can be a pain. Ignition problems,heavy and vibrate alot. I believe the magnum model is like 96 cc one of those running good is a wood hog, but so is alot of more modern saws.the pm800 is a great old saw way more reliable imo.

Mark, you must be the person that Ted was referring to when he stated, "Parts for a PM800 are still plentiful, if you know where to look."

So I put a round in the chamber. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow night. I set the expectation that if it checks out and is as described, I'd give him the full $100. He's driving 40 miles to meet me 5 mins from my house. So if anyone feels I am overpaying at that price, just figure that however much overpaying is really for gas and delivery. This comes at a good time too. I've got a 32" box elder trunk that needs to go!

Sidenote: I just found a Mac EB 3.4 for $40. I want it but haven't figured why yet. #GotCAD

20150618_220625.jpg

Had to do it! The PO was a good guy and wanted to impart his knowledge on me. We stood around for 30-45 minutes just chatting about "ol' girl" and done of their adventures. Turns out he had a heart attack a few years back while up in a tree and the wife put an end to his tree cuttin' days. All the same, you could see sadness in his eyes. It was his last one to go. Said he figured no one would want something so old and heavy... Just a good guy.

I haven't put her in wood yet but feels right. Also feels heavy. :) It started quicker than I figured it would, maybe 6 tugs. Oh yeah, it's loud too. Me likey!

I just snapped a quick photo before I tear it down and clean it. What a pain in the @$$ it is with the full wrap bar to get at the bar bolts.

Use a 1/4" drive socket and extension to remove the cover. Then you have to do the slight of hand twist to get it off without nicking the top with the spike. Looks like you have one of the early ones without the DSP - keep all of your starter cover screws in place and tight. BTW I love the PM800. Ron

IMG_2633.JPG

I think love is an understatement. What do you do with all of them and what is that thing in the middle? DSP?

Any advice or anything I should be aware of about this saw? I bought it with the intention of only using it on large tree trunks and not have to tax my 028s and 029s too much. It will likely see very little use.

View attachment 431389

Had to do it! The PO was a good guy and wanted to impart his knowledge on me. We stood around for 30-45 minutes just chatting about "ol' girl" and done of their adventures. Turns out he had a heart attack a few years back while up in a tree and the wife put an end to his tree cuttin' days. All the same, you could see sadness in his eyes. It was his last one to go. Said he figured no one would want something so old and heavy... Just a good guy.
If only that saw could talk!

You only said ouch? I feel like my foul mouth would have gotten the better of me in that situation.

So Mark, I've read many conflicting opinions about the mix ratio for this saw. 8:1 to 50:1 and everything in between. I know this saw is likely from the early to mid 80's and once upon a time i had some poulans that i believe were from around then that took 32:1 iirc. Would that be the correct mix? Whatever the PO has mixed in there has plenty of oil in it. #smokin

Joseph

Joseph,

I cut firewood for a Christian ministry serving folks who can't afford to buy firewood. Been on a year long break due to a shoulder injury so right now my saws are idle.

That is a three year old picture. The middle saw is a PM700 with a brush clearing bow. The saw on the far right is a PM 8200 which is now in Mark's collection after an overhaul by him. I have a few more 82cc MACs - a couple more 800s, a DE80, a PM850 and a PM805 (rebuilt by Joey).

A DSP is MAC's name for a compression release.

The 800 and newer 82 cc MAC have more reinforcements in the starter cover and the chain tightening end of the clutch covers but ironically the muffler guard portion of the clutch cover is extremely weak - it breaks easily. The DE 80 eliminates the intake boot with a direct mount carb - a nice set up but requires a different tank and handle; otherwise it is the same as the others. The 8200 uses the older style intake but has a unique cylinder and case bolt pattern, a three piece crank and a different rod and piston.

Common problems of all 82cc MACs include leaking oiler gasket resulting in bar oil in the case (makes a great mosquito fogger) and poor oiling, torn intake boots and torn AV mounts.

Almost all parts are ready available on EBay and other online suppliers. The almost non-existent parts are the DSP valve for the later models (coarse thread), outer muffler parts for the older 850s and the Super Pros - 80 & 81, and NOS cylinders for the new models. Pistons come in three sizes (A, B & C). Bs are plentiful. Cs less so. As even more less so. Rings are the same for all three. 8200 pistons may be rare too - Mark will know.

The owners manual calls for 32/1.

Hope you enjoy your saw.

Ron

That 800 will do anything a ms460 will do, albeit slower. While heavier, the 800 will be smoother to run and have noticably more torque.

Back