Pointers for a "Big Bore" kit ala DCS-6401 Upgrade to 84cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were some duds with the BB's, as with some OEM's and the Dolmar/Makita BB's have proven to be one of the nice one's.

I purchased a 372BB kit from Bailey's that a few issues but was replaced by Gregg Grande (Bailey's) when I didn't even ask for it and I live in Australia!

Go over the kit, make sure all is in order, use OEM pin clips. See if your squish will allow you to run without the base gasket and you will have a nice runner.

I think the person making the claim should be responsible for backing up his claim. :confused:

I never made a claim That I know of!! I stated to get the oem kit and save yourself the trouble of engine failure later. I still say the same thing, get oem forget the chicom junk!!! As for backing it up I just did, Thats MHO if you dont agree buy the cheap chicom junk, I could give a $4$$% less!

I never made a claim That I know of!! I stated to get the oem kit and save yourself the trouble of engine failure later. I still say the same thing, get oem forget the chicom junk!!! As for backing it up I just did, Thats MHO if you dont agree buy the cheap chicom junk, I could give a $4$$% less!

Easy now MO,,as a proud member of the Dolly Gang promoting good fellowship amongst fellow members is considered good ,good,,good something whatever it's called ,you know,getting along nice with each other ??
I aint done the heavy searching to find a blown up BB dolmar kit,then again i aint ever heard of one either and when i did mine i DID search pretty hard for info on the conversion and never found any blown up..
course that dont mean it aint happened ,just i aint heard bout it..
course that dont mean that when MO speaks i dont listen either..i do..and he's worth listening to..
however,i went with as many other have with the BB kit and love it !!
so i guess it's personal choice after listening to all opinions..

Trust me ! Its alot more fun to put the oem kit on and watch how badass your saw is, than it is to run the aftermarket bb and tear it back down again to try dig all the little pieces of piston out of the crank case!

If this is not a claim that the Bailey's BB kit will grenade but the OEM won't, then what is it? Why would I be picking pieces of an "aftermarket bb" out of the crankcase if it didn't blow up? How would you know that it's "more fun" with the OEM than with Bailey's? Have you run both or are you just making things up?

You told another member to search. How about you do some searching to back up your claims?

Easy now MO,,as a proud member of the Dolly Gang promoting good fellowship amongst fellow members is considered good ,good,,good something whatever it's called ,you know,getting along nice with each other ??
I aint done the heavy searching to find a blown up BB dolmar kit,then again i aint ever heard of one either and when i did mine i DID search pretty hard for info on the conversion and never found any blown up..
course that dont mean it aint happened ,just i aint heard bout it..
course that dont mean that when MO speaks i dont listen either..i do..and he's worth listening to..
however,i went with as many other have with the BB kit and love it !!
so i guess it's personal choice after listening to all opinions..

Good luck with the BB kit, I support you 100% , you made your decision and thats what its all about, mine was go oem and that is my recommendation to him, but your opinion is viable also!

If this is not a claim that the Bailey's BB kit will grenade but the OEM won't, then what is it? Why would I be picking pieces of an "aftermarket bb" out of the crankcase if it didn't blow up? How would you know that it's "more fun" with the OEM than with Bailey's? Have you run both or are you just making things up?

You told another member to search. How about you do some searching to back up your claims?

My opinion is the oem is way better quality, from my research and personal dolmar exp, now if you dont like that fine, I dont really give a crap ! I would recommend go oem! Is that plain enough for you??????

Woooaah ... I was looking for skill and knowledge ... not opinion and tirades.

What I decipher from the tirades is that Chinese Communists crap is just that ... crap. While I likely agree ... and agree that German manufactured OEM is typically a better product ... Baileys has done a good job of providing a quality product and worked through quality control issues.

I will be diligent to clean ports and rough edges ... but I suggest that opinions have very little weight over experience and skill. I mean to say that some hothead BS that is not backed by legitimate data is for the most part crap and a waste of cyberspace.

Oppinion....my BB out runs similar stock 7900
Fact...My BB out runs similar stock 7900.

My BB has given me "0" issues or problems. I would not hesitate to suggest or recommend another BB kit to a fellow member. Not saying it is perfect but for what I wanted its what I got. and if mine grenades anytime soon I'll go back to stock 6400 till Bailey's ships out another BB.

Fact...it's a simple "plug and play" swap...so simple even a caveman can do it !!!!

This is what I thought and am glad another person with legit experience has spoken up ... thank-you.

However the opinion, each side has it's merit.
Almost sounds like the way political platforms used to be.

Need to bottle some brew ...

Oppinion....my BB out runs similar stock 7900
Fact...My BB out runs similar stock 7900.

My BB has given me "0" issues or problems. I would not hesitate to suggest or recommend another BB kit to a fellow member. Not saying it is perfect but for what I wanted its what I got. and if mine grenades anytime soon I'll go back to stock 6400 till Bailey's ships out another BB.

Fact...it's a simple "plug and play" swap...so simple even a caveman can do it !!!!

dolmar upgrade

I have a Dolmar 7300 [great saw!]and was thinking of upgrading when I bought it[used]. Just wondering: is the 'plating' in the OEM cylinder Nikasil or chrome? Nikasil is great when they get it right, I know from Italian motorcycles, never wears out. I contacted a vendor on ebay about a BB kit and they told me their's is chrome bore. I imagine Bailey's is too. If OEM is Nikasil, I'll go with that. In my experience[35+yrs in machining], Taiwanese stuff is MUCH better than Chinese, comparable in quality with what the Japanese used to make. Everyone is outsourcing to cut costs. It may say made here or there on the outside, but _inside_ where it counts, lots of things/parts are now made in China. I was there[China] and they dont have it together yet.

I have a Dolmar 7300 [great saw!]and was thinking of upgrading when I bought it[used]. Just wondering: is the 'plating' in the OEM cylinder Nikasil or chrome? Nikasil is great when they get it right, I know from Italian motorcycles, never wears out. I contacted a vendor on ebay about a BB kit and they told me their's is chrome bore. I imagine Bailey's is too. If OEM is Nikasil, I'll go with that. In my experience[35+yrs in machining], Taiwanese stuff is MUCH better than Chinese, comparable in quality with what the Japanese used to make. Everyone is outsourcing to cut costs. It may say made here or there on the outside, but _inside_ where it counts, lots of things/parts are now made in China. I was there[China] and they dont have it together yet.

OEM is genuine Nikasil, the barrels are made by Mahle. ;)

Back