Polaris Ranger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know some of you guy's have UTV's, so I am seeking opinions here.
I've been thinking about a side by side for tooling around the job site. I've been using my pickup (3500 Dodge), and walking where I don't want to take it.
I was in town yesterday, and stopped by the local Stihl/Polaris dealer. They had a couple of used ones that they took in on trade. They have gone through both of them and both are in good shape. One has a straight rear axle, the other has IRS. The dealer recomended the IRS. I'm pretty sure he said it was an 2001 model, and it has about 1200 hours on the meter. Tires are all about 80% (judging from looking at the new machines). He's asking $4200, but I think I could get it for $4000, maybe a little less.
Is that a good deal, or way too much money for a machine like that?
I don't know much about them, so you guy's that know educate me.

Andy

Here is what my side by side looks like I use it on the farm and drive it to work every day cost $300.00 had to make some mechanical repairs to get her going

attachment.php

I would keep looking for a newer machine, that seems like a lot of money for a 10+ year old machine. Polaris Rangers are great machines, look at a new 500.
I personaly bought the Kawasaki Teryx because I don't like the bench seat , I am more into sport riding than working it.
I ride with a bunch of friends and they all have New Polaris', we ride some prety gnarly trails and they go good, dependable and you can carry three people.
I think I'll be in the market for the new Can-Am Commander in the spring!

I'd keep looking.
12,000 hrs...if an average day's ride was 5 hours then there was 2,400 trips or 240 trips a yr.
That's a lot of wear n tear...although it may seem tight you've got 4 wheel parts failing by now,breaks and cables,rotors and motor issues to think about.

Keep looking!

I just redid a transfer case on one, don't want to do another.
Have fun with parts, dealers aren't connected so you have to order and wait.
How about 8 weeks for a thrust washer, all internal bearings are Chinese.
Parts are not cheap $800 for parts to do the rebuild.
I found the dealer support lame, but am in Canada,,,,
Won't see one in my yard.
This is just my opinion and experience.
Did have a tracker wish I never sold it.
Bob

I just bought a used 07 Polaris utv 500 fi with 280 hrs on meter for $5800. It has soft top and windshield. Owner put new tires on it last fall. I've only had it since mid-Jan. but I think it's going to be ok. I hauled firewood with it and the 3' x 5' od bed will hold a surprisingly big load when mounded up. I think cap. is 1000 lbs, plus it has 2" rec hitch that can be used to pull small trailer.

I paid a little over 3500 for my gator 6x4 and it seems like everytime it comes out of the garage, i find another use for it. Keep looking as I think you should be able to find a little better deal.

Thanks guys,
I guess I'll keep looking.
Used UTV's are hard to find here, and when you do they are usually overpriced.
I'd rather buy a new one, but I just bought a new ASV and I can't dump another $13 or $14K right now.

Andy

Here is what my side by side looks like I use it on the farm and drive it to work every day cost $300.00 had to make some mechanical repairs to get her going

attachment.php

we have been looking at one for use as a skidder (with slight modifications) should make a nice small skidder utv type deal...i have been looking at one beat all to heck
so cutting on it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Thanks guys,
I guess I'll keep looking.
Used UTV's are hard to find here, and when you do they are usually overpriced.
I'd rather buy a new one, but I just bought a new ASV and I can't dump another $13 or $14K right now.

Andy

What size ASV did you get? If you can find a Millonzi Rootrake/grapple (they are out of business) get it. I paid less than 700 shipped from Yankeeland to Down South.

I have the RC-30 and bought the Millonzi 48" with a single top clamp and It stays on Pedro almost all the time. The grapple was the smallest they made, and it still feels heavy, but no worries. My experience tells me you don't need a grapple as big as your track width, it isn't important when grappling brush, and you can use the lift capacity freed up when you go after three big log sections.

What size ASV did you get? If you can find a Millonzi Rootrake/grapple (they are out of business) get it. I paid less than 700 shipped from Yankeeland to Down South.

I have the RC-30 and bought the Millonzi 48" with a single top clamp and It stays on Pedro almost all the time. The grapple was the smallest they made, and it still feels heavy, but no worries. My experience tells me you don't need a grapple as big as your track width, it isn't important when grappling brush, and you can use the lift capacity freed up when you go after three big log sections.

I haven't got it yet, supposed to ship Monday. It's a PT-100G Forestry. It will be used primarily for mastication (mulching). I've got a couple of grapples, both 72". One is a Thomas demolition grapple with a smoothe bucket, the other is a root grapple, I don't remember the make. One of these machines without a grapple is like a dog with 3 legs. They can go places and do their work, but they're kinda handicapped.

Andy

mini trucks

them mini trucks look pretty slick. just wondering if you can get parts for them? and if you can wonder how long you'll be able to get parts for them:confused:

them mini trucks look pretty slick. just wondering if you can get parts for them? and if you can wonder how long you'll be able to get parts for them:confused:

If I personally was getting one I would look at name brand models, and also inquire at the nearest car dealership of the same company to see if parts are available.
http://www.minitruck.ca/

After doing a little more reading it seems that a mini truck will even fit in the back of a regular pickup with an 8' box. Cool! I am half tempted to sell my quad and get on of these mini trucks myself.

Have you looked at mini trucks? they are about 1/2 the price of a new utv. Come with a cab with heat and some have nice dump beds. This is a quick example I googled.
http://www.minitruck.ca/sales_new_details.cfm?prod=68&city=

Have you tried one? What kind of grade will they climb?
The reason I was looking at Polaris is the land owner I'm working for has a ranger. The last time the State Forestry came for an inspection we took it, about 560 pounds of butt in the seat. It climbed skid trails with ease that had made my butt pucker on the skidder (and my butt don't pucker that easy). It really impressed me.

Andy

I dont know if they would climb hills like a utv? And I personally have not tried one yet. But from what I have read and watched about them, they seem to be more bang for your buck if using it for a work vehicle. But like I said I personally dont own one so I am just making observations.
[video=youtube;Gq2jHeYzbgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gq2jHeYzbgk[/video]

I dont know if they would climb hills like a utv? And I personally have not tried one yet. But from what I have read and watched about them, they seem to be more bang for your buck if using it for a work vehicle. But like I said I personally dont own one so I am just making observations.
[video=youtube;Gq2jHeYzbgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gq2jHeYzbgk[/video]

Wow! That's way more impressive than I thought. Thanks for the video.
I went to their site, I'm going to look into them a little deeper.

Andy

I have a mini truck. They are pretty good off road vehicles when lifted with big tires. I highly recommend the late model Suzuki's, as they are the easiest to lift and they have the best balance, because the front tires are in front of the cab. The newer EFI engines are really smooth - better than a UTV. Parts are easy to get over the internet. There are millions and millions of these trucks in Japan, so there will always be parts somewhere, they just take longer to get.

003-9.jpg

Latest posts

Back