Pole Barns - not totally Off Topic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wondered if you guys had any good reference materials (books, websites, etc.) that you would recommend to me about building a pole barn. I am looking to build a pole barn style shop and a pole barn style wood shed/OPE storage shed combo - 12x24 total, with 12x12 for wood storage and 12x12 for the OPE storage. Looking for good reading material, how-to's and step-by-step type books or websites. Want to get a plan together and material list before spring.

A jack of many trades I am, but not a carpenter (yet). Help and guidance is appreciated.

Josh

I don't know about any books on that subject, but I have a few friends that put up pole barns with elec.& telephone poles that they got for free from the elec/ph. companies. You might want to check on them, they're already treated and surfaced, watch out for metal fasteners/staples etc. Good luck!

Hi, I don't have any ready-recommendations, but I have seen some good materials. For search purposes, it may help you to know that that style of construction is often referred to as "post and beam" construction. You might also look into "timber frame" construction, its certainly related.

Tractorbynet Forums

Go to tractorbynet.com forum under Projects and do search on Pole Barns. A lot of great info there.

The Forestry Forum and Timber Framers Guild have great members and helpful forums for post and beam building.

Both are geared toward traditional post and beam but there is a lot of overlap with that and "pole barns" as the latter evolved from the former.

I built my pole barn with a set of plans from 84 lumber. They put together the lumber package and the steel package. They did great on the lumber and not so great on the steel siding. No one in the store new much about steel and I had to sit down with the plans and make my own material list after studying the pamphlet from the steel siding company to figure out what the pieces do. It took most of the summer to build the entire 28'x38' barn by myself - I even figured out how to put the 24' long trusses up by myself.

My suggestion is to get help for the trusses and the siding/roofing.

I built my pole barn with a set of plans from 84 lumber. They put together the lumber package and the steel package. They did great on the lumber and not so great on the steel siding. No one in the store new much about steel and I had to sit down with the plans and make my own material list after studying the pamphlet from the steel siding company to figure out what the pieces do. It took most of the summer to build the entire 28'x38' barn by myself - I even figured out how to put the 24' long trusses up by myself.

My suggestion is to get help for the trusses and the siding/roofing.

+1 on the plans from 84 lumber. My dad and I built our 24x36 garage this way. A lot better than trying to do yourself. They hand you a sheet of what you need and tell you how to build it. If I remember right it was free if you bought the lumber there.

If you're like me and can't ever seem to get anything level/square, you may want to see if you can hire someone to set the posts. If they are set square and plumb then everything else is easy.

look at amazon.com search for stable construction or horsebox construction and you will find different ones.

None of the ones i bought were bad, some were a bit more detailed.

Still have to unpack them so no references at this moment.

Latest posts

Back