Pole saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad has the Stihl chainsaw on a stick. Nice tool. The Echo PP and the Stihl are comparable, but as other replies have said, the tilting (articulating) head would be a clear advantage (if it holds up to the wear and tear).

manfred said:
Question is, approx. 25 ft up and limb is 7 inch or so diameter. Can a pole saw do that?
Thanks in advance

Oh, back to the question, no, not from the ground. I have pruned hundreds of limbs from atop roofs, but only if it looks to be quicker than climbing the tree. The pitch of the roof has to be fairly shallow. I do not recommend cutting from the roof, however, but neither do I recommend cutting from a ladder.

At 25 feet up, 7" diameter and close to the house, I would be tying that limb off with a rope. Something that big, if it seperates from the tree and comes down crown-first (without rope), it could spring back and boing through a window or into your gas meter or do something that would obliterate the 'savings' you're anticipating. Also, with the rope, a second person can control the rope from the ground, allowing you to focus on cutting and maintaining your own personal safety during those few brief seconds of mahem, chaos and iminent destruction. Seems like a ladder job, but ladder work is frickin dangerous in and of itself, even without a saw in hand.

You will also want to then tie the rope higher up so you are able to pull the tree away from the house or at least tension it so there's no way the tree can fall backwards.

At 25 feet up, that big a limb, working from a ladder or the roof there's a lot that could go wrong. Really think about what you're doing. We don't want you getting hurt.

There are several good answers here to my question, I don't have the extra $800 or so right now and am shakey on my legs when I get off the ground. I guess I'm gonna try and not think of it for awhile, maybe I'll stumble across the money . I've got the tree in question tied off pretty high with a 1/2 inch cable.

I've got the tree in question tied off pretty high with a 1/2 inch cable.
Zoiks! Musta been fun getting that length of steel up there. You could put a steel pulley on the cable, attach the pulley to your limb and then cut it.....zzzzippp!

It's taken me an hour to reply. Any one of us could probably have knocked that limb out in 10 or 15 minutes, put the tree on the ground in another 5.

Can you offer us a picture of the tree? Our advice is sort of an educated guess in the dark without being able to see it.

Human-powered, much lighter than gas. kind of fun to use.

"I left all these trees around the house when I built but they have grown and are worrying me and I cut the ones that I can handle."

One view of tree risk assessment:

I love my silky but wouldn't use it on big limbs too high up. I have a power pruner but it's max rated at 10" and that's pushing it in my opinion.

I kinda misspoke (or mistyped) the cable is probably 3/8 inch, but it is strong. I have no way to post a picture. I agree, if it wasn't by my house I could easily cut it also. Probably going to hire it done.

"Pole pruner- Bypass pruner head attached to a pole. Uses a length of rope (or better, webbing) to set the cutting head into motion."

TM, to pick a nit, it can be an anvil pruner too, like my Florian ratchet head. It makes good cuts, and does not crush enough tissue to be an issue imho.

Ahhh. I stand corrected.

The Florian ratcheting stuff is pretty amazing. If they made something that would go bigger than the Corona bull loppers, I'd buy for sure.

Latest posts

Back