polishing 044 intake and exhaust ports on cylinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

325ed

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what do i need for tools i just want to do a mild polish

No intake polish, 150 grit sand paper finish. No transfer polish, again 150 grit intake finish. Polish the exhaust, go up to 600 grit wet sand. What is most important is smoothing flow.

i really want to cut the ridge off on bottom of intake and exhaust what dremel bit do i you

Dremel 9903,

r19777v15.jpg

That burr cuts well but slowly, wich may be what you need to start. Double cut or alloy cut from buckeye carbide does the trick. I am with Brad on the bottom of ex port. Take a look to how far the piston comes down, it generally never opens the full exhaust window stock.

thanks i have never done this could u give me some tips thanks

Dynotech tested this theory over a decade ago and found that while polishing the intake track increased airflow, it decreased HP due to decreased fuel/air mixing.

From the "shade tree mechanic" days of my youth, I kind of remember intake manifolds that would purposefully have ripples and ridges inside the manifold. Usually this would be directly below the carb. When the 4-barrel opened up dropping a thick mix the intent was to introduce minor turbulence along the bottom to churn the air/fuel blend them more efficiently. Some experimented with dimples and grooves along the bottom of the flow path. With a tool like a chainsaw the "bottom" is always changing direction. Delicate balance between max flow, HP and engine efficiency.

to polish, I wrap some sandpaper round a piece of rod, chuck it into the drill and go to town. You can actually remove a lot of material with it so go slow.

Latest posts

Back