pond help,advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordman99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After a few searches,I see that some of you have experience with ponds/ water gardens.I dug one about 2 wks. ago.Roughly 8x 10 and 4' at the deepest area.I took advantage of a spring on the property and dug the pond where it will have a constant flow of water,in and out.The water above and below the pond is clear,clean.However in the pond itself,the water remains cloudy and dirty.I thought by now the water would have cleared up.Any ideas?..THANKS!!

Pond

give it a bit more time it will clear up.... How much water flow do you have going in and out... the more outflow the faster the sediment is going to flow out too..... also... have you done alot of digging near where the water is coming in.... if so that is going to bring sediment in for a wheile untill that firms up too.

give it a bit more time it will clear up.... How much water flow do you have going in and out... the more outflow the faster the sediment is going to flow out too..... also... have you done alot of digging near where the water is coming in.... if so that is going to bring sediment in for a wheile untill that firms up too.

The pond filled in about 12 hrs.And has remained full since.

Some kinds of fish agitate the bottom constantly and if there is a soil bottom and these fish it will never clear up. I have seen catfish introduced into a clear pond and it turn muddy.

Possible

Who wants catfish... stock trout...... I plan to reclaim a beverpond on my land... clean it up nice and stock with trout.

Not many people would throw catfish or carp in but what most people don't realize is that Goldfish are a type of carp. So some body unwilling throws some good looking gold fish in, and muddies up the water. Very hard to get them out too.

no soil bottom.It's actually in slate ground,my property sets very low,close to the creek.The water table is quite high.I know slate ground doesn't usually hold water very well.As far as fish,only a few minnows I got from the creek (1/2 to 2").I was amazed how fast those little buggers cleaned up the mosquito larvae.

Not sure if my pond page will have too much that will help your needs.

The main thing that comes to mind, is don't kill the algea that clings to sides and bottom if you get some. It helps keep the water more clear of the pea soup water algae.

Did anything organic-like get into the water? Old wood debris, grass trimmings, etc.?

My budy Jon threw a bucket of freshwater muscles into his pond and it cleared right up. I guess they filter the water as they pump it through themselves looking for food. However i don't think Jon's bivalves lived through the winter.

good luck.

Latest posts

Back