Poor advice becoming more common on AS...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But honestly, after you've been on chainsaw forums for a while, it seems like pretty much everything is a repeat. 028 won't start cold, 562 stumbling, best 50cc saw, best oil... I've only been here 18 months and don't expect to see much new in chainsaw questions. The same also goes for my other 2 sites. FF today is tuning, tach or ear, XT vs XP etc etc, and Randy killed SH. On all sites I hang out with my friends on some thread we all hang out on, then check new posts to see if anything looks good. One big problem is except for the 661, there is nothing new. We've rehashed the 550/261, 562/361, 441,461 etc. The 661 thread had pretty much everybody's attention until the divorce and custody battle.
I suspect as more folks have the 661, and the 572 and 590 are out we'll have more to talk about, wherever that talk is happening

OK. What about the all new T540xp that won't run, and has zero dealer support? Do the huky lovers just skip over that one? Where's moody and mweba with their sweet carb mod suggestions to fix the guys saw with a keyboard. My favorite part of this forum is the extreme brand bias, and bickering back and forth. I used to think the sledder forums were great, but this place is the tops! Very entertaining!

The only thing I can think of is that 24" bars aren't available in 3/8"LP so he must be modifying a bar tip to suit. I'm curious to know how he converted a 24" Oregon Power Match Plus to 3/8"LP because to the best of my knowledge LP tips aren't available in this fitting. Probably a standard 3/8" tip that will wreck the LP chain in half an hour :)
He has a lot of contradictions in his ad.

Oh, he has specified in ads past that the Picco/LP loops only run well when they are newer with his setup. I presume he files down the nose sprockets so they work. I have one of my 026 saws set up to run with a Picco B&C setup, and it is faster than either .325 or 3/8 std. That is good up to about 20 inches. But a 25 or the 250 with a 25? ...forget it. Never mind oiling a bar that size with a 260 or 250 oiler. I ran picco B&C on most of my 025s and 250s (before I replaced all of them with 026/260s) and they were good to 18 inches, but they were pretty slow when buried. I used them for limbing, thinning small trees, and topping.

He has also been trying to sell a 'museum quality' 090 with a 4 foot bar on FleaBay for about a year now. He started at $4k and is down to $3.35k for it now. He also lists 880s with big fat bars, and other weird saws. He claims that he was a big timber and arborist operation, but I drove by his address once and it is just a house in suburbia with no equipment, chippers, bucket trucks, logging gear, or anything else. He just buys saws on CL and flips them on Ebay for the most part. Most of his sales are for climbing gear, chain, and rope.

implied-facepalm-jpg.424589

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms261-c-m-3-8-chain.249354/page-3

I want the time I spent reading through that thread back......

MCW hit the nail on the head, some of the advice lately makes me cringe. I sell and work on saws every day and the family runs a firewood operation, but there is still alot I don't know after 35 years of using saws. I don't comment if I can't base it on personal expierence. I personally don't think there are many folks who cut more than 20 cords a year on the site, most are just avid enthusiast and there's nothing wrong with that.........what I hate are the folks who base opinions on saws that obviously never run the model they are commenting on, too many arm chair technical spec experts and the problem is that many take their BS as the gospel. That is one of the biggest issues on the site.
After awhile a saw is just another saw if you see them day in day out, some are better than others. Most people here seem to have the Tim Taylor complex bigger is better, I've cut and sold a helluv lot of firewood and you dang sure don't need a 90cc saw or ported 70cc to get it done as you read on here. I've prolly cut more with a puny 028 than most have ever seen, I just don't know how we ever did it with such puny saws. I'm getting older and have serious health issues, I've found I can cut more than most people will burn in two or three days with a 50cc saw with a SHARP chain. As soon as the 241 comes out here that's what I'll prolly go to, don't take me wrong I love ported saws I own them and will get more ported but it's not the answer for everyone, a stock saw is more than most will every need if they maintain it and run a sharp chain. If your not sure, don't give poor advice or if you haven't run a particular saw refrain from bashing it, as someone will think it is the correct and only answer.
Well said,couldn't agree with you more!

I didn't read the whole thread, only the first few pages but have to say I am happy that a very well respected member like MCW has mentioned a serious problem going on in this forum! This is also the reason why we are seeing a very high fluxtuation of well established members to other sites. And the answers to MCW first post are much worse than expected. Reducing his serious worries to a simple joke.

I am not against joking around but sometimes I believe it to be not opportune.

Well, all this talk about advice on AS... here is a 'hot saw long bar mod' on one of my ported 026s I had. A 32 inch 3/8 std. bar on it, set up for Aussie cutting. It works great, man. No such thing as too long a bar here in the wild west. Just use thinner 10wt oil and stop cutting when the bar gets too hot. It has skip chain so it compensates for the loss in torque. Cuts like a dream, even in 4 ft DBH white oak.

32 inch on 026 2.jpg
Before anyone gets too excited, it was staged for the photo and I never actually ran this setup...

The reason mm kinda moved on was because of a cconflict with ADM., not newbies with bad advice. Site sponsers and the brass at AS should love newbies since its a new market for them.

Here's some more bad advice. But just like Huey Lewis said, sometimes bad is good. He went down to see his cousin, (Who played guitar just like a chainsaw buzzin')

Now to the OP, you just need to come off with more finesse, and then you won't end up in an argument with anyone. It would be good to make at least one attempt with every one you meet to make friends. It seems like you are mad at this site and want to be angry. I am suprised anyone would dislike this software more than vBulletin. Let me be the first to say, I like the software Arboristsite is using currently.

Now post some pics of ten trees you cut down this week. And then I will post pictures of ten trees I cut down today.

What finesse are you talking about? The fact that you were arguing about .050" and .063" chain having a different kerf? I'm still certain that you got confused between standard 3/8" chain and low profile chain although you'd never admit it.
As far as me arguing you need to do a bit more homework on me which you probably haven't. I've been around a while and can count on one hand the number of times I've been in a disagreement with somebody on this site.
Also as far as 10 trees today, you also need to do a bit more homework and searching. Either on this site or on Youtube. When you've dropped over 520 trees in a day give me a yell. Older members here will know exactly what I'm talking about which is another point worth considering.
My total tree count in commercial falling is now above 20,000 and the current contract I have has about 25,000 remaining. I also have a number of falling qualifications. You haven't been around long enough to try and impress me with 10 trees in a day. My average across 20,000 trees has been 37.5 an hour (falling only). This isn't BS either but well documented and has been necessary for the company I'm falling for. Everything needs to be costed and budgeted for.
As far as the software on this site that isn't my concern at all unlike others. There have been issues with this site but once again only having been here a week or two you'd have no idea. We had massive levels of expertise here not that long ago and these guys have all gone missing in action.
It may also pay to check how many likes my first post in this thread has received and check out the credentials of the members who have liked it. I am far from the only one here with these views.

IMHO if you don't feel like responding to something you feel is mundane and can easily be found by searching, simply don't reply at all. It's the "use the search function" replies that cause the most friction.

I've been involved with several forums as user, moderator, and admin. The single biggest issue is existing members getting all twisted up by repetitive newbie questions. It's the nature of the internet: lot's of useful and valuable information but not always easy to find. Many times, newbies want instant gratification and immediate answers. There are 2 choices for existing members: 1) reply even if it's the millionth time you've done so, or 2) ignore the post/thread and move on.

This is especially true of people who don't really know anything about the subject an are venturing in for the first time. Many times it's easier to ask yet another question and wait for a reply than it is to sift through hundreds of threads containing thousands of posts. How is one supposed to disseminate information on a subject they know nothing or little about?

The UTSF replies are jut as bothersome and mundane as the original posts are.

Again, this is just my opinion and the way I look at forum participation. Your mileage may vary.

You may think I am dead against newbie questions which is not the case at all. Incorrect newbie answers to newbie questions however is a different kettle of fish.

520 but you had a dang old road to them haha. 10 trees a day, they better some big pickles...

.050 & .063 should have nothing to to with kerf provided they are the same other than driver width..... now if your running some banged out rails then your kerf might widen a hair.

The reason mm kinda moved on was because of a cconflict with ADM., not newbies with bad advice. Site sponsers and the brass at AS should love newbies since its a new market for them.

Site sponsors seem to be leaving/unhappy and they're the ones paying the bills to the brass :)

520 but you had a dang old road to them haha. 10 trees a day, they better some big pickles...

And all I had to do was fall them and not buck them. That is the number though old son, regardless of how easy they were to get to :)
I have actually bested that number and dropped about 850 in a day the other week but none were over 16" and 35' tall...

MCW: I presume that you are talking about falling plantation Radiata* there, and not big eucs and gums? I have felled more Monterey and Bishop pines in CA than any other tree species (arbor biz), though they are not pruned or thinned here like they are down under.

*Know here as Monterey Pine, a trash tree here in the west US, but its the most common commercially harvested wood species in the world

I believe you only because you wouldn't give a hoot if I didn't haha. No I remember you posting way back. What kind of wood where those on the road? They looked like nice fast cutting type trees.

They are actually an Australian hardwood known as Casuarina. In low rainfall areas they are extremely hard with a specific gravity over 1 meaning that even dry they won't float in water. The vast majority of trees I have been falling though have been irrigated as they were originally windbreak trees for corporate farms. They became so large that their roots started robbing the orchards so the managers wanted them all dropped which due to the limited space between orchards meant that basically every single tree was directional felled. Now they have me doing take downs around their farm manager's houses. They are relatively easy cutting but extremely variable. Some are like pine and some are like concrete. Pretty well all the falling was done with ported 7900's and 390XP's with either 24" or 32" bars.

MCW: I presume that you are talking about falling plantation Radiata* there, and not big eucs and gums? I have felled more Monterey and Bishop pines in CA than any other tree species (arbor biz), though they are not pruned or thinned here like they are down under.

*Know here as Monterey Pine, a trash tree here in the west US, but its the most common commercially harvested wood species in the world

As mentioned above these are windbreak trees and are planted at 2-4 meter spacings. Drop one, spin around, drop another etc etc. In the end I got that sick of wedging that I was taking down 20+ in one hit like Dominos. It was also safer as the vast majority had interlocked canopies. I had a thread going on AS that was started maybe 5 years ago and was ongoing for years. I haven't posted in it for a while now despite continuing cutting for them. I'm not even sure if it's still here but it had heaps of videos and photos and information. It was basically non stop cutting and on ported Dolmar 7900's and ported Husky 390XP's I was using over 6 US gallons of fuel a day on occasion. The first property I did was 7,800 trees with trunks up to around 44" and trees up to 120' tall - I averaged 37.5 trees an hour. As far as hardness goes these particular trees varied depending on water availability but the were probably between pine and eucalypt. Put it this way on the larger trees I couldn't run an 8 pin rim on a 24" 3/8" bar on the 390XP. It was working it too hard and a 7 pin was faster.
The thread was called "Today's Job" but not even sure if it still comes up under a search. It was actually a pretty unique scenario which is why a lot of people found the thread interesting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back