Poor ole Stihl 390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ole-bucky-boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Man you guys are brutal when talking about the MS 390? I haven't read any meaningful reasons why the "pro" series is that much better than the "homeowner" models. It seems the cases are stronger and on some models the engine may be secured in differently. But if the motor is a 4.4 hp Stihl and most of the other guts are stihl quality then for a guy like me who cuts maybe a cord of oak per year for homeowner firewood - what's so awful about the 390? On ebay I can pick up a new 2005 one for under $400.

I have a 260 with a 20" bar and love the weight and power. Am throwing away a Poulan 380 Super Pro and plan to put it's 24" Oregon bar on the Stihl 390. I'll double check the pitch and guage first (just have a lot of new 24" chains that I don't want to waste). Interestingly, on the Stihl website they recommend the max length bar as 63mm in the US and 50mm in the UK? From your forums, I've read a 24" bar isn't ideal in getting rpm, but bending over isn't as much fun as it used to be and I am uncomfortable of the kick back hazard when using a bar that doesn't reach all the way past the wood it's cutting.

Okay.... now, talk me out of it.

Thanks,
Larry

Pro saws are pro saws because of their features-decomp valves, less weight per hp, full wrap handles availabe, often better filtration, case construction, torque, and so on. Use them day in and day out, all day long, and you'll quickly see how valuable these things are, and why they're worth the extra price. And by comparing 4.4 hp of the 390 to the 4.4 of the 361, use both, and you'd see a difference. Difference in powerband, accleration, and weight. The 361 weighs a pound less. That said, for a guy that wants to cut a cord a year, well, the 260 will work for that. The 390 would be a fine saw, and I don't know Oregon bars, but will the bar off that Poulan fit the Stihl?

Jeff

According to their website, the bar mount pattern is different. Whether it can be modified to work I don't know. The reason the guys on here are so brutal on the Stihl MS 290/310/390 series, is that their construction and performance is designed for homeowners, who don't know the difference between a pro saw and a consumer model. It is designed to be a lower cost saw for firewood cutters and infrequent users. As Jeff says, the pro saws are better in every way besides price. They have better features and performance, and cost more to produce as a result. For the daily professional users or hardcore saw nuts that know the difference, the pro saws the only way to go. For less demanding use and for users who are more interested in the price of the saw, the 290/310/390 are good saws and excellent value, although they don't perform with the professional series models. It all depends upon your needs and wants. Is a pro series saw better? Yes. Does your use and tastes require a pro model saw? Only you can answer that.

I would be interested in the Poulan 380 powerhead for parts. I sent you a Pm.

I got a 039 I've worked wet and put away hard a lot of times, been run over and tree dropped on too. I just used it today to cut a few dead hemlocks, and I didn't smash anybody's trailer or nothing.

We have a STIHL 390 at work. It doesn't have as much power as I would like but it will get the job done. Not too bad for a $500 saw (Canadian). Sure there are better out there but you will pay for it.

-Matt

ole-bucky-boy said:
On ebay I can pick up a new 2005 one for under $400. .... now, talk me out of it.

I think I know which auction/seller you're talking about. The same guy sells 460s too. There was recently discussion on here about warrantee issues with a sale like this. Stihl doesn't allow internet or mail order sales, and yet, this guy's doing it. Is he a dealer? Will the warrantee be honored? Will he submit the paperwork for you? If he's not a dealer, where's he getting all these saws from? Yeah, it's a good price, but if you take this bargain saw into your dealer for warrantee work, he may give you a funny look. There's also alot of discussion on here about the value of working with a good local dealer. Invaluable. In most cases, it's worth the extra $$ you'll spend on the saw to have him take care of you down the road, when Mr. Ebay is nowhere to be found. Just a thought. You asked us to talk you out of it!

Jeff

Thanks for all the replies

I have decided to cancel the 390 purchase and look for either a 440 or 460 on ebay. All I want to be sure of is there is enough power to drive a 24" bar into oak. The 361 looks like it has about the same hp as the 390 and I like the lighter weight of the two. Just think the safe thing is a 440 or better. Will use ole Steady Eddie the 026 when ever I can, but when it's time to run with the big dogs wanna make sure the next size saw that I grab for will eat up some wood.... actually with the 460, I'm hoping to have the power to remove the roof off a hardtop car.

Not very concerned about the "warranty" issues for the following reasons:

1. I expect a Sthil saw has was built with quality and tested before it left the plant.

2. It is only speculation that Stihl wouldn't warranty or fix one of their products when registered with them as new?

3. I would think any dealer would love warranty work as they get to bill the manufacture for their labor and parts. Any dealer who wants to make it difficult for a customer to have warranty work performed just because the customer didn't buy the saw from them - is no friend of mine, nor a vendor I care to do business with. The savings achieved is a certainly appreciable compared to my local vendor.

4 If Stihl has issues with folks selling new saws with warranties on ebay, then I'm sure they have the in-house legal horse power to deal with them very quickly.

Cheers,
Larry

If you're going the ebay route, I'd lean towards the 460. You'll see 440's going for almost as much as 460's, and the 460 is more saw. Both saws will handle 24" in oak. Yes, Stihl's leave the plant as fine saws, but it's the use between then and now that makes a used saw what it is. Ask the seller questions, and you'll quickly get an idea as to what you're dealing with. As far as warrantee work, that can be a crap shoot. Some dealers will treat you as one of their own. Others will treat you like crap no matter who you are. And I don't know about Stihl dealers, but if Stihl reimburses them the same way car manufacturers reimburse car dealers, warrantee work is the last thing they want to do. They may charge $40 an hour for work, but Stihl may only reimburse them $35. I don't know. I'm not a dealer, and I've never even had a saw in a shop for work. But I've gotten the run-around from car dealerships for that very reason. Just a thought. Also, I'd check pawn shops for saws. I've bought three saws off of ebay, and not a single one of them has looked as good when it got here as it did in the pictures. You go to a pawn shop, and you can handle the saw and get a feel for it before you buy it. I'll really only look for used saws in pawn shops now, compared to on ebay. Around here, with all the pro users, pro saws show up quite often, I don't know how it is down your way, but again, just a thought.

Jeff

I really believe saws such as MS 290 & 390's have needlessly received bad wraps here. Thy are far better saws than portrayed by many here.

Agree, and I always pipe up and say how mine has done me well. Course I inherited it. I wouldn't buy one. Prolly a 361.

pile

Yes, please come and see my junk pile, which I prefer to call used parts inventory. You will find no more than 2 029's, no 039.
029 was ran over, other had straight gas.
In this area, the 029, 310, 039 series is one of the most reliable models.

Some people can wreck any saw in a short time. I still have some tree surgeons using them as a throw away saw. They haven't thrown any away yet.
Sure, if I had the choice, I would buy myself a pro saw, if only for the weight factor. But the 029 series has held up well here.

Has anyone tried modding a 390? I opened up the muffler on the one at work. Made a sizeable difference with the 24" bar.

Jeff

Ok Stihl tech, fess up now. How many huskies are there in that pile? What ratio of
Stihl to husky? I am guessing. 6 huskies to every stihl.
Be honest now.
I am into ratios lately.

1. Even the best products may need warranty work. Nobody is perfect
2. We are a Stihl dealer and they will not honour warranty if the product is not registered at the time of purchase.
3. Warranty work is not a money maker for the dealer but yes, if he is smart he should honour it even if he did not sell the saw. It is called customer service.
4. If the e-bay seller is a Stihl dealer, he won't be for very long. If not, he is considered the end user and the warranty is not transferrable. Buyer beware.
Seems like a lot of hassle to save a few bucks but then only you know what your time is worth.

Back