poplars removing pollutants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great. They have been working on do that with bacteria for a long time but they would metabolize other stuff in the environment other than the toxins. Got to love plant scientists, saving the world one plant at a time.

I thought all trees have been doing that,
for thousands of years already.

That's what trees are for...

WTH ???

Wild plants do take up harmful pollutants, and usually die. Genetically modified plants would thrive in the polluted environment.

Trees have been around more than a few thousands of years.

I guess you don't know me.

I was just goofin with ya ...

Did you notice the :hmm3grin2orange:

That's supposed to mean funny.

Sorry, I can't tell anymore today. I didn't mean any harm. It has been a long day of dealing with college freshman who have rich parents and no respect, so I am a little numb to humor tonight. Take care, and I will know in the future how your humor works.:)

These characteristics have advantages over the green, wild-type plants when Phragmites is used in wastewater treatment facilities. First, with their distinctive coloration they are easily identified should they show up in the wild as the result of rhizomes being lost from the plant site during clean outs.

http://www.ocean.udel.edu/cms/dseliskar/ZebraPhrag.htm

Another great idea, but Phragmites is a highly invasive plant. Even though it is easily identifiable from the "wild" type, it could spread very quickly through the rhizomes. There are very few natural populations of wild type Phragmites left in America. Most natural populations have been replaced with the invasive European variety.

I thought all trees have been doing that,
for thousands of years already.

That's what trees are for...

WTH ???

true, but according to the article, the gm trees do it at a much faster rate in their lab tests.

the gm trees removed 91% of the toxin while the control only removed 3%.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back