Popular Mechanics Chainsaw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a surprise, They tested a bunch of consumer saws (homeowner grade if you prefer), so it tells you what market they are testing for.

It's not like they were running a 372 vs a 460 etc. etc. etc.

They picked what is a very good consumer grade homeowner saw, for the reasons that their subscribers would like. I would be excited to see a real CR type comparison of real saws, done by real cutters, ahh but then who would they pick of us here at AS that doesn't already have their favorite.

I will allow them to make their choice, and my brother in law would likely buy the CR choice, I will continue get my research hands n and at AS and buy a better saw

So uh... which Jred did they really test? It says 2159 but the specs matches 2156... and I can't make it out from the picture. Well done. :confused:

I don't even care to look that one up - I have seen enough stupid consumer-directed "tests" before....:givebeer:

:agree2: These tests mean absolutely nothing IMO. Consumer Reports has also tested the best antiperspirants in the past. Yup. They cover a LOT of ground.

In the real world away from all the fantasy and B.S. and running the proper 18" length bar that suits --

Number 1 - Jonny 2159 by a country mile and a half.

Number 2 - Solo 656

Number 3 - MS 290

Number 4 - Husky Rancher

Distant last - The POS Echo

Well, I run Stihls, and the 290 would not have even been entered into the contest. I've heard plenty enough to know that the huskys are good to, but the rancher would not have made it into the match unless it had a 346 to run against. These saws all weighed over 17 pounds and were only 56cc saws. My 064 only weighs 15 pounds and it's an 85cc. I would have loved to see them throw a 660 in there with a 20" bar so that they would have a good bench mark to gauge things by :)

In the real world away from all the fantasy and B.S. and running the proper 18" length bar that suits --

Number 1 - Jonny 2159 by a country mile and a half.

Number 2 - Solo 656

Number 3 - MS 290

Number 4 - Husky Rancher

Distant last - The POS Echo

Id agree with that ranking. I am a popular mechanics subscriber. I do like the magazine and when I saw a saw comparison i was very interested. After reading the results I was surprised. My cousin has a 290 and my buddy has a 460 rancher. Ive used both and Im not a fan of either. Both use lots of plastic, are heavy and not cheap. My "new" saw is a 2005 Dolmar PS 540 which cost less than these 2 saws, that is also a pro saw.
Id pick the Jred as no.1 from this group hands down.

Latest posts

Back