Port-a-Wrap, Bollards, Etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this Stein device? And how does it compare to the Port-a-Wrap (bottom photo)or some other type of lowering system? It looks interesting since you can attach the top as well as the bottom to the trunk and not have the device swinging around when there is slack in the rigging line. But at $210 it is pricey. Any opinions?

24_rc1000_350.gif

rc2000_image_550.gif

601N_111810_72.jpg

I like it...if I didn't have two different size homemade port-a-wraps already I might part with 210. I haven't seen one of these yet. Where can I get one?

Has anyone tried this Stein device? And how does it compare to the Port-a-Wrap (bottom photo)or some other type of lowering system? It looks interesting since you can attach the top as well as the bottom to the trunk and not have the device swinging around when there is slack in the rigging line. But at $210 it is pricey. Any opinions?

24_rc1000_350.gif

rc2000_image_550.gif

601N_111810_72.jpg

It's just a different version of the porty. They have a cpl diff sizes that handle up to, and more than the PWIII does.
Also, with the PW, you can cinch the line through to tighten the lowering line. I wouldn't pay the extra money for the top strap eye, I would however pay it for the added weight working limit if I deemed it necessary.

I'm guessing that they're manufactured in England but they have a US distributor. I was looking at a new Stainless steel Porty from Sherrill when I came across this. After checking out the video I was thinking that it might be worth the extra bucks.

Here's their US distributor:

Stein USA

I'm guessing that they're manufactured in England but they have a US distributor. I was looking at a new Stainless steel Porty from Sherrill when I came across this. After checking out the video I was thinking that it might be worth the extra bucks.

Here's their US distributor:

Stein USA

My gear shop has them, the ballard, and the double ballard. If you guys want contact info, lemme know.

Mayer Power Products
Essex MA
Ask for Anthony
Tell him Ryan from Alpha Arbor sent you

If you're ordering it from over seas, you're gonna pay more than ordering it from a US distributor. I don't know where his distribution center is located, but if it's in England, you're better off ordering it from a stateside distbr.

We use the RC 2000, which also is sold for the price quoted of $210. This is the one you will want if you want to surpass what the Porty is capable of. The picture initially showed is the RC 1000. And though it is better than the large Porty, it is still in the same category with a 2.5" barrel and a 2205 lb working load.

The RC 2000 doesn't sound that much bigger with a 3" barrel but it is really stout. It has a working load limit of 4410 lbs. That is right up there with the big boys.

These are cool devices that really do bridge the gap between the Port-a-Wrap and a strap on bollard. I like them a lot. They are stable enough to make taking the rope on and off very easy, yet the fact that they still pivot gives you more options in work positioning. I can't even imagine breaking one of these things.

If there is a down side to the RC 2000, it is only that along with its capacity for handling far larger wood than a Porty is the fact that is where it shines. Meaning for small, light pieces, you are going to need to go with a lighter weight line to get it to run smoothly.

This is not saying that it doesn't handle light wood well, you just will not really notice its advantages until you start getting up to the bigger stuff. And for a unit of this size, it is really quite amazing.

Dave

I checked out the main site, that "dual unit" was impressive. I watched a couple of vids on it. Anybody have any experience with it?

After having just watched the youtube video it has got me thinking has anybody tied off the top of a porty as well?

We have done that. It works but I didnt think it was worth the extra effort.

Have looked at these.. they have some neat looking devices and not too bad pricing.

But already having a porty, hobbs and grcs.. I never jumped at this.. not sure how much better than porty.. although looks bigger than porty. Does not have lifting ability the hobbs or grcs has though.

We have done that. It works but I didnt think it was worth the extra effort.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I have never had a problem with the little play there is when not pretensioned even then I strip out as much slack as possible.

Back