Port or leave stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Classic saw, Port or leave stock?

• Total voters

daryng

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Everyone seems to have a saw that they regard highly. A saw that their old man ran when they were a kid, or a saw that they pretty much gave away in their youth. A few examples I've read: 076, 090, Johnny 670 champ, husky 2100, Poulan 505, etc... Mine is an 038 mag II. Through patience I was able to find a nice rebuilder with a factory full wrap and I'm patiently awaiting parts to bring her back to its former glory. But I do have a dilemma.... Should I restore it and leave it stock, or should I go the route of a resto-mod and make it a monster.
My old man and I used to go to a lot of car shows and classic car auctions. He used to always look at the high end cars, look at the build costs, and say "If i spent that much money on something I'd be afraid to drive it. When I finish my cars, I want to be able to use it and enjoy it. Not just look at it".

I'm kind of in the same thinking of the old man. If I'm rebuilding this thing I want to be able to throw it in the rotation. A ported 038 is a tough 70cc saw.....

what is the forums opinion?

While I do believe everyone should own at least one ported saw, I think some should be left stock. I may be in the minority but I think an 038 mag II would be awesome rebuilt with OEM parts and kept as stock as possible. As originally manufactured, these saws have functioned very well for 30 years. Think of an OEM 038 mag II still kicking a** 20-30 years from now. Awesome? I think yes.

i think a non ported saw is worth more from a collectors aspect (if it was ever to be sold) i always liked the 034 super-036 pro saws (dad still has a 034 super from when i was younger cutting and splitting 10+ cords a year with him) and just rebuilt a 036 pro for myself in the last 4 weeks . i am on the fence as to if i want to port it as it wont be sold anytime soon . i may look for a good used cylinder and have it worked and put the stock jug on the shelf

i think a non ported saw is worth more from a collectors aspect (if it was ever to be sold) i always liked the 034 super-036 pro saws (dad still has a 034 super from when i was younger cutting and splitting 10+ cords a year with him) and just rebuilt a 036 pro for myself in the last 4 weeks . i am on the fence as to if i want to port it as it wont be sold anytime soon . i may look for a good used cylinder and have it worked and put the stock jug on the shelf
I'm kind of thinking the same. OEM Mag jugs are getting hard to come by. so I considered buying a quality AM kit, porting it and running it. Shelve the OEM jug for the time being. But I would always feel like I'd running a fake, not the genuine article. I know I could get tortured for say this... But its just a piece of power equipment. Run it, maintain it, when it dies.... repair it.

I know I could get tortured for say this... But its just a piece of power equipment.
on second thought. I retract that statement. they consume so much of my time and interest, that they have become more than just power equipment....

Leave it stock....its a sentimental saw and if you want it to really take you back to whenever...well it should run like it did whenever. As Brad says if you want to make good strawberry jam you need nice ripe strawberries. So if you want a runner and something your gonna tip money into...a 390xp is a good place to start.

I have no Idea about what saw you are talking about, but I do know about old saws that your Father used.
I have a Stihl 050AV, that he used forever, and we even milled with it some.
It is now mine, and it is a shelf Queen, I do not use it, never will and will always keep it.

The reason that I do not use it now? I have other saws that work just fine, and just do not want to.
It is sad to me to use it.

Latest posts

Back