portable sawmill services

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoak

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a little advice on starting up a portable sawmill service. I've worked on several bandsaw milling projects, and have been using my CSM with success for about a year now. Been doing amature forestry work for 20 years. Once I get the post and beam barn I am working on up, I'd like to move over to the house. For that project I am considering purchasing a bandsaw mill and then hanging a shingle up for saw milling services when I'm done with the house.

I know... pretty far fetched at this point. But some of you have done this (nice website Backwoods!) and probably can point out some of the bigger pitfalls.

I've got a good job right now, so I can start real slow. I've already got a couple chainsaws, nice woodshop, tractor with bucket and forks, truck, trailer, 50 acre wood lot, etc.

What do you guys think?? Get the experience building a house out of my own timber, then start milling as a business on the side? Maybe a chipper too and I can do a little tree work? Sell some firewood ($350/cord seasoned in NH right now!)? Any suggestions on mills to consider looking at?

Okay... you guys need to keep my feet on planet Earth!

Thanks... as usual you've all been extremely helpful.

-redoak

With oil slipping below 70.00/bbl today, I don't know how long you'll see 350.00 cordwood. With that out of the way, as long as they're aren't a bunch of portable sawmills running near you, go for it. Keep the good job though, as getting started can take some time and $$$$$$$.

Don't know enough to really answer your questions other than to tell you that you REALLY gotta love it to do it for a living or even a side income. I can tell you from experience starting a small woodworking business out of my woodshop that going from hobby to business is a big step. Doing things for fun or enjoyment like woodworking can get old and get stressful real quick if you all of a sudden have to do it to put food on the table. One thing I found was that you have to be incredibly organized or things will get tangled pretty quick. Keep track of EVERY expense, keep track of inventory and tools, keep track of customers and potential customers... always keep thinking of ways to beat the guy down the street doing the same thing. Lot of work, but there is usually potential if you're willing to take the time. That said... do as I did and start SLOW... and grow SLOW and if you love working with wood and running a bandmill like that, go for it.

Thanks Woodshop, sage advice. I think going real slow is the answer to a lot of things. Anyone have suggestions on bandsaw mills? Is there much of a used market on them? I've used both hydraulic loaded and manual, got to say the hydraulics really seem like the way to go.

-redoak

The list of do’s and don’ts is long.
Start by developing a business plan.
Who is your market? Are you going to be portable or stationary?
Are you going to sell lumber or just a service?
Be honest with yourself on what it will cost.

Which mill to get? Do you have a dartboard?
No mater which mill you get there will always be a bigger better model come out next year so get the mill that you can afford to purchase and run. They all have there pros and cons.
I picked my mill because it was fully Hydraulic with a chain turner rather then a claw and it had the most sophisticated setworks available, and it can be set up and taken down with minimal effort, it uses the longer bands and since it has a diesel motor, the auto clutch was necessary. (You will wear your arm out by the end of the day with out it) Those are the things that were important to me. As a bonus I got the remote control panel so I don’t have to walk 7 miles a day, and I got a good lube system and a few other extras.

Office work will take up more time then you ever plan on. Keep good records. Quick books is your friend, and so is a good book keeper come tax time. Pay as you go, do not take on any debt. Some month are better then others. My whole operation is 100% paid for and I have plenty of working capital. I do not pay myself a large wage just enough to get by.

Just remember that when you load that 5,000 lb log onto the mill and there is still a couple more large logs in the deck to be milled up.
What the hydraulics loads onto the mill you have to pack off the mill and stack by hand, and if the wood is yours, you will have to handle it a few more times before it sells.

Now is the time to think about it and make plans, just make sure that it is what you want to do, and if you have a little woman, she needs to give here OK as well. That don’t mean plan on her packing all the tailings and stacking the wood for you so you can cut more wood. Rather if she takes an interest in it, teach her to run the mill so you can pack the tailings and stack more lumber.

Back