Portable Winch Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know there was such a thing as a portable capstan winch. They're kinda pricey, but I'd sure like to have one. I get the permit from the national forest service to take dead and downed trees. But you know they're always 50 or 60 yards from the road. So after I cut and buck one, I have to manually lift each piece and carry it back to my truck over very uneven terrain. With this puppy, I could pull the whole tree to the road for processing. Bailey's even sells this thing. Sure, I could buy a lot of cords of hardwood logs and have them delivered for what this thing costs. Or I could buy one heck of a lot of firewood, already split, delivered and stacked. But then I wouldn't have the fun and pleasure of making my own firewood and being out in the woods. At 65, I'm not quite ready to pack it in yet. I heat entirely with wood. Burn 5 full cords (15 face cords) a winter. I have 20 full cords (60 face cords) split and stacked right now. I don't sell firewood. I just keep making it. Me and my trusty little Stihl 170 chain saw, and my trusty little Ryobi electric log splitter have spent many a fine day together. Just one of life's simple pleasures. (Now if I could just figure a way to make some money with this thing to justify its cost.)

Enjoy the vids.

Don <><

Manufacturer of the best Portable Winch with rope · with capstan and a powerful Honda engine. Ideal for logging, rescue, construction, hunting, ATV, farming or boating

Bailey's - Portable Winch Co. PCW-5000 Portable Capstan Winch

Manufacturer of the best Portable Winch with rope · with capstan and a powerful Honda engine. Ideal for logging, rescue, construction, hunting, ATV, farming or boating · Pulling Docks Portable Winch ATV Winch

Last edited:
I clicked on that link for Bailey's and had to laugh at the sale price. Now on Sale!!!!regular 1394.99, now on sale for $1394.00...........

I sure hope someone at Bailey's put the decimal point in the wrong place on that one......:msp_rolleyes:

why not use a regular electric winch that runs off your battery?

You want tos skid them to your truck right?

Your vehicle has the power source and the weight to pull items to it.

Last edited:
Tool envy! This tool has been on my wish list for about two years, and would be the tool of choice in many situations. Hung up leaners, and stuff on slopes, that I'm passing up now wouldn't be problem. The portable capstan seems to have several advantages over traditional truck mounted winches. Justifying the cost is another matter... putting it down the wish list a ways.

I clicked on that link for Bailey's and had to laugh at the sale price. Now on Sale!!!!regular 1394.99, now on sale for $1394.00...........

I sure hope someone at Bailey's put the decimal point in the wrong place on that one......:msp_rolleyes:

:hmm3grin2orange: You save... 0%! LMAO

Hey ! Now I found another really neat hand winch !

I'm the OP. I kinda got on this winching thing and found a really neat rope puller. It's different than a regular winch in that it doesn't have a spool. Instead, it pulls "any length" of rope "through it" and it has a 10:1 mechanical advantage. It has a 1500 pound capacity, and it's a lot cheaper than a gas powered capstan winch. For $89.00, which includes 100' of rope, I'll order one and give it a try.

Maasdam Pow R-Rope Puller

Here's a video on how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWdHX77Ba0

I found another self-powered capstan winch for $919.00
http://www.capstanropewinch.com/

Last edited:
Rope Puller

I like this one too. The price is just $58.95 for the puller. $89.00 is the price on the rope.

I like the idea of the unlimited amount of rope which can be used with it. Something they did not mention is using a snatch block which could increase the power by two times.

Nosmo

cool thread

I like that hand puller you found, seems a good deal. I like tools with engines and so forth, but something to be said for using your muscles at times as well. Sort of why I like using the fiskars over a powered splitter. That hand puller looks spiffy and fills the gap between a 20 foot traditional comealong and then any of the expensive powered winches. And it is *cheap* and made in USA, what's not to like? Looking forward to your review!

Oh! Just a thought. We had threads before here on using a log arch, or a drag cone, or a truck hood as a sort pf sled, etc. Might be good with that thing as well, to reduce digging in of the log when pulling it.

Somewhere between the MAASDAM and the capstan, lies the Griphoist, my personal portable favorite. You can pick one up used on ebay with a spool of wire rope for about 350.00. The wire feeds through it like the rope in a power puller, but it pulls significantly more tension and the wire doesn't stretch. Here's my comparison from an earlier post.

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/150714.htm

Latest posts

Back