Portable work bench for CS Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In between cuts I like to keep my mill away from the ground and possible dirt rocks etc, I also like to have the mill up at a decent level to fuel, oil, sharpen and perform any other maintenance. Up until now what I have been using is a pair of old saw horses I made 30 years ago from bits of scrap pine. These saw horses have served me well, they were the legs for my shed workbench for about 20 years and then I used then with a door as a table top for BBQs etc.
attachment.php

Needless to say, balancing the BIL mill on these horses was problematic and the couple of times I started the mill while it was balanced on the horses it vibrated its way off, one time recently deeply cutting a cross bar on one of the horses.

I've had a portable work bench as a work in progress for some time. A basic requirement was that I could safely start the mill while it was resting on the bench but I also wanted to be able to put down tools in a relatively clean place.

Anyway, today was too hot to mill so I finally finished the portable work bench.
attachment.php

The timber for the frame is mainly 2x2" Western Australian Karri - it is very strong. The top is 3/4" construction play, top edging is Jarrah and the finish is BLO although eventually it will BCO (Bar and Chain Oil).
The legs are hinged to the top cross piece, as the weight of the bench top and load press down the legs grip a piece of 3 x 2" hardwood screwed across the bottom of the bench top. To add more pressure to the grip extra tension can be added via cross braces at the bottom of the legs. It's not mean to be well finished as it will be battered and oil and mix stained in no time flat.

Here you can see the recesses (5 gallon oil container lids) screwed to the top of the table that stop the mill from moving around on the bench while its running.
attachment.php

Here is the mill (with 42" bar and 64" rails) on the table. I will have to add another outboard recess for the 60" mill.
attachment.php

Folded away for transport and storage.
attachment.php

I also have a pair of small very strong saw horses I can place a 1500 lb log onto if I need to.

Last edited:
Great job Bob!!!!

Thanks for the pics...Thats a nice setup!!! Wish you could send some of that warm weather here...18F here this morning..Just too cold to mill for me today... Have a Happy New Year !!!!!

Great idea on the oil caps for the legs of your mill, I do something similar on my little table to keep my Ripsaw from vibrating off of it, but I just screwed appropriate small blocks of wood on the table. Curious how heavy is that table with those foldable legs? It does look pretty sturdy, and seems like it will take a beating and hold up.

Cheers Guys. Yep its pretty heavy but also very strong. Most of the time the bench will live at the milling yard but I'll be putting it out of the weather at the end of a milling day. The legs and top are kept separate so it can be toted around easily - I'll probably use a sack trolley.

Today we're heading off for a couple of weeks camping and a dew days milling. I packed the van with all my milling gear last night, now I need to put in some of the camping gear. I say "camping", but SWMBO is taking another vehicle - a hired camper van complete with shower and toilet - I don't call that real camping but I've done enough time in tents and sleeping on the ground so am glad she is prepared to drive another vehicle.

Latest posts

Back