porting bits & burrs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wanted to get a thread started from people who do porting to hear what various bits and attachments you're using, where you buy them, and feedback on how/where you use them for port work...

I've picked up two different carbide burr grinder bits from BuckEye Carbide on ebay. They are both non ferrous bits, meaning they don't load up on aluminum chips. They have 1/8" shanks. I've heard good things about using these, especially in a right angle hand piece (recently acquired) for upper transfers, but they can also be used to hog out intake/exhaust ports because they remove material quickly.
SE-51NF (egg shape)
SF-51NF (flame shape/round nose tree)

I also picked up a generic set of carbide double cut bits. I might use (read waste) one of these cheapies when it comes to widening the intake/exhaust port where it meets the inner cylinder so if the hard nikasil layer chips a burr, it isn't chipping the expensive ones.

Also, having a good diamond ball bit is useful for when you are chamfering the port edges so you don't snag a ring.

I use sanding cones for smoothing the exhaust port. I also have a wide assortment of various diamond-impregnated rubber and silicon-carbide-in-rubber shapes from Ace's Abrasives, mostly in coarse and medium, but also some fine. They work well in transfer tunnels.

I've seen others use a 2 inch piece of 1/4" rod that they turned down to 1/8" on one side, and split on a bandsaw on the other. You can then insert a strip of Scotch Brite scouring pad to polish the aluminum like a poor-mans flap wheel.

I have a double cut burr that I got in a Dremel kit that works well, although it turns out its for ceramic tile! I've used it to open lower transfers, and opening the muffler to match the exhaust.

Interested to hear what other's are using.

I'll definitely be watching this thread. Been thinking on getting into this game for a while now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back