porting my 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be completly honest i have not checked squish.

dont shoot me

ill measuer and if its still way up theyre ill have it milled or decked or maybe chuck in a lathe and do it myself.

i dont have one, but i have freind that does maybe well figure out how to get it chuked up .

im lookin for timberwolfs pics now but im about to give up with the search engine, im tired and the search in is kinda the last straw

i dont have one, but i have freind that does maybe well figure out how to get it chuked up .

im lookin for timberwolfs pics now but im about to give up with the search engine, im tired and the search in is kinda the last straw

Ya, to do a cylinder on a lathe. You will need to lathe up a mandrel that fits inside the cylinder perfectly, out of aluminum. Then drill and tap a hole that lines up with the exhaust port, and run a bolt and washer in there to hold the cylinder to the mandrel. At least that how I think its done. That's how I'd do it anyway.

It's a good way to do it.

This is where having at least a 10-12 inch swing on the lathe and some slower gears is needed. Pretty much need to work over the crossfeed and some jugs are quite unbalanced so best to turn them fairly slow.

Last edited:
timberwolf

thanks for the pics, thats what i was lookin for

compression jumped about 15 psi after letn her scream wot for alittle bit last night.

i just took a reading a few minutes ago. this is cold havent ran the saw today. maybe it wont be as bad as i thought and the new ring does need some time to seat it self.
attachment.php

this looks much much better.

mesn around with posting pics straight from photbucket
372xp.jpg

372xp1.jpg

can you see these last two pics?

Last edited:
Ya, to do a cylinder on a lathe. You will need to lathe up a mandrel that fits inside the cylinder perfectly, out of aluminum. Then drill and tap a hole that lines up with the exhaust port, and run a bolt and washer in there to hold the cylinder to the mandrel. At least that how I think its done. That's how I'd do it anyway.

Nik just uses 100 PSI on a live tail stock. I think I named that part right:)

when it was blowing 135 thats a shade low.

ill live with 150. its hot now ill check compression in hour or so and she what it says i wouldnt bet against the needle pushn past 150 this time.

I assume he means usinging the live center in the tailstock and putting some extra pressure on the top of the cylinder against the mandril to lock it against the mandril by friction. Must have some fancy lathe with a load set and readout on the tail stock?

I have turned a couple jugs like this, but would not say it's a good idea, too easy for something to move and then you spin the mandril in the bore which can cause damage to the bore, squishband or cause the cutter to catch and mess up the finished surface on the base. Time well spent to secure the jug to the mandril IMHO.

bucked on tree with the 372 today. 20" tree. ity took a tank and half of fuel. i had screwdriver in my pocket and kept going richer. as she kept getn stronger.

i have never seen a saw like this. when i started bucking it was only running so so. after buckn a few rds im like whow so i pull it out of the wood and she not burbln at all so i get burble and work down the tree a ways saw just screamin.

pull it out of the wood again and a slight barely noticable hint of a burble so i give her alittle more. as im getn cautios now knowing its needn more fuel as were workn our way up this tree.

when I finaly got to the big end of the tree i was laying into the dogs hard and it was chugn right along. and would burble when i lifted to get another bite on the dogs. my eyese were twinkling bright as i finished. didnt want to stop cutn cause it was running so good and getn to end of the tree means its time to load the truck.

i havent checked compression yet but i wouldnt be suprised to see 160 now

though i know its running good and strong im not sure if its cutn any faster then my 044 thats not ported. but i just rememberd i havent modded the muffler yet so theres still hope that itl out run the 044. the 044 is running very well with a muffler mod

anyways thats it for now. i was scoutn a new area and didnt find but a few trees i only cut the one just to run the 372 no pics or vid. i figure everyones getn tired of them.

i may do a 044/372 timed cuts at the wood pile one of these evenings just so i know for myself.

ahhhhh k now im done

Evan

Andy

thanks

yeah i know the muffler needs opend up but i havent had time to do it . i havent even decided what kinda modd im going to do. its going to be single 1" round exit port. i gota figure out how to do it

Back