POS champion spark plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as they still have those big horses they should be able to keep making that "beer".....

The relationship I have with 'Nuttified Mark' and 'barneyrb' is what I would describe as a "4 Clydesdale Situation"

That's how many Clydesdale's it would take to pull me off their asses...!!!! - - :hmm3grin2orange: - :ices_rofl:
J2F

Last edited:
Modern economics and industry have made us become a wasteful society. It seems many of us have lost our ability to apply a bit of common sense, logic and reason.

I agree completely.

When I worked in the automotive industry you repaired most everything. We rebuilt starters, generators, alternators, carburetors,water pumps, engines, transmissions both manual and automatic, brake master, wheel cylinders and calipers. They made starter solenoid repair kits. Ask a parts store today for a caliper kit or a piston or a solenoid repair kit. I can remember relining brake shoes and clutch discs. Try asking for clutch facing today.

There are a lot of part changers in the world today but a good mechanic that can repair things is becoming a dyeing breed.

Later
Dan

Bro' you said it better than I ever could.

The only thing I can expound upon;

Common sense seems to be very uncommon these days.

The thing is, that it costs nearly as much to repair some things as it does to replace.

I bought a rebuild kit or (letter won't work) the 500, and come to learn, the whole carb wasn't much more than the kit.

But will agree, we are a waste ul society. Its a shame what people throw away, and the trash that we create.

Anyway, I've run Champion plugs in mowers a long time without problems, and have had all di erent brands give up the ghost. Never had one break though.

That said, I usually run NGK in the saws, when i can ind them, doesn't seem like many places around here carry them.

Production went to mexico.... I think it was about 10 years ago, maybe more maybe less.

Thats funnie as the porslin plant is still here in southeastern Ohio. Up and running full tilt, seven days a week.
About 10 to 12 years ago Federal Mogel bought Champion Spark plug corp. The metal making part of the plant was in Iowa
and all the insultors were shiped their and the final plugs made their, maybe that pat of the plant went to mexico dont know but the insulators are made here.

Modern economics and industry have made us become a wasteful society. It seems many of us have lost our ability to apply a bit of common sense, logic and reason.

I agree completely.

When I worked in the automotive industry you repaired most everything. We rebuilt starters, generators, alternators, carburetors,water pumps, engines, transmissions both manual and automatic, brake master, wheel cylinders and calipers. They made starter solenoid repair kits. Ask a parts store today for a caliper kit or a piston or a solenoid repair kit. I can remember relining brake shoes and clutch discs. Try asking for clutch facing today.

There are a lot of part changers in the world today but a good mechanic that can repair things is becoming a dyeing breed.

Later
Dan

A number of years ago I was on a popular 4WD vehicle board. In on of the sub-forums there was discussion of what spares we carried in our rigs. I was laughed/browbeat out of the discussion for stating that I carry a rebuild kit for the Delco 12SI alternators that I run. All kinds of stupid "do you carry engine and transmission rebuild kits too?" crap came my way. Some fools had ALREADY stated that they carried a whole alternator, and that it was 'quicker' to just swap 'em out. They obviously had NO CLUE what's involved in an alternator rebuild (mostly replacing the brushes, diodes, and regulator) and didn't care to know. These are guys that carry spare axle shafts, drive slugs, hubs, and other heavy/bulky stuff..................yet declared that it was 'stupid' to carry a little blister pack of small parts for an alternator...

Nevermind that I can do a 'quick and dirty' rebuild of one of these alts in 20 minutes or less (including R/R of the unit)........and that an alternator rebuild kit is just a tiny, lightweight package to carry in the glove box. I haven't needed to rebuild an alt on a run yet, but I have rebuilt them at home. When I'm out in the sticks, it's comforting to know that I won't have to leave my rig and bum a ride (or hoof it) into some tiny town that may or may not have a parts store that's open with an alt for my vehicle in stock (for big money).......and I'm not having to haul a heavy/bulky complete spare unit with me for that comfort (which would be just silly). Buncha chest-thumpin' dumbasses.....:bang:

A number of years ago I was on a popular 4WD vehicle board. In on of the sub-forums there was discussion of what spares we carried in our rigs. I was laughed/browbeat out of the discussion for stating that I carry a rebuild kit for the Delco 12SI alternators that I run. All kinds of stupid "do you carry engine and transmission rebuild kits too?" crap came my way. Some fools had ALREADY stated that they carried a whole alternator, and that it was 'quicker' to just swap 'em out. They obviously had NO CLUE what's involved in an alternator rebuild (mostly replacing the brushes, diodes, and regulator) and didn't care to know. These are guys that carry spare axle shafts, drive slugs, hubs, and other heavy/bulky stuff..................yet declared that it was 'stupid' to carry a little blister pack of small parts for an alternator...

Nevermind that I can do a 'quick and dirty' rebuild of one of these alts in 20 minutes or less (including R/R of the unit)........and that an alternator rebuild kit is just a tiny, lightweight package to carry in the glove box. I haven't needed to rebuild an alt on a run yet, but I have rebuilt them at home. When I'm out in the sticks, it's comforting to know that I won't have to leave my rig and bum a ride (or hoof it) into some tiny town that may or may not have a parts store that's open with an alt for my vehicle in stock (for big money).......and I'm not having to haul a heavy/bulky complete spare unit with me for that comfort (which would be just silly). Buncha chest-thumpin' dumbasses.....:bang:

I own/operate a couple modern ATVs. I had previously owned two Suzuki ATVs. One a 2WD 1984 the other a 4WD 1987. Both bought new. I put thousands of miles on those things without any issues other than the odd flat tire. I rode those things fifty to sixty miles deep in the woods on decommisioned logging roads and trails. All I ever brought with me was extra fuel, a tire repair kit, bicycle pump, spark plug and other associated survival gear. Such as food/water, and particularly a 12 ga. shotgun. In the 28 years I've been operating ATVs in the bush, I've yet to have to walk home.

Today's modern ATVs with EFI are not my preference. Despite the fact that EFI is very reliable, it will not operate without a healthy battery. An ATV with a carb will get you home even with a dead battery. Too much sophistication in a demanding, occasionally hostile environment, is not a good mix. Keep things simple and your chances of avoiding mechanical problems will be better.

By the way, why would you focus on an alternator rebuild kit? Did you own a machine that ate alternators?

I own/operate a couple modern ATVs. I had previously owned two Suzuki ATVs. One a 2WD 1984 the other a 4WD 1987. Both bought new. I put thousands of miles on those things without any issues other than the odd flat tire. I rode those things fifty to sixty miles deep in the woods on decommisioned logging roads and trails. All I ever brought with me was extra fuel, a tire repair kit, bicycle pump, spark plug and other associated survival gear. Such as food/water, and particularly a 12 ga. shotgun. In the 28 years I've been operating ATVs in the bush, I've yet to have to walk home.

Today's modern ATVs with EFI are not my preference. Despite the fact that EFI is very reliable, it will not operate without a healthy battery. An ATV with a carb will get you home even with a dead battery. Too much sophistication in a demanding, occasionally hostile environment, is not a good mix. Keep things simple and your chances of avoiding mechanical problems will be better.

By the way, why would you focus on an alternator rebuild kit? Did you own a machine that ate alternators?

It was just one item I mentioned in that "what spares do you bring" discussion (but was the item they focused on) along with belts, a fuel filter, lengths of heater, vacuum, and fuel hoses, and such.

I swap Delco 12SI alternators (that I pull from '80s GM vehicles at the local self-serve junkyards) into my '60s and '70s IHC vehicles. These 12SI alternators are more reliable, and have higher output than the Delco 10SI and earlier externally regulated Delco alts that these rigs came from the factory with, yet share the same outer mounting dimentions. I also install small diameter pulleys from certain GM's onto these 12SI units to 'overdrive' them a bit for good output at low RPM's. My Binder engines 'redline' at 4K or so, and spend most of their life running at 500-2K.

I try to grab alts that look new (often times there will be junked vehicles with new hoses, electronics, and such under the hood), but they still are used parts (that can be had on 1/2 price days for around $15 OTD). When I bring the alts home from the yard, I take them apart and go through them. I inspect the rotor, brushes, and such and put a little grease in the bearings. Preventive maintenance goes a long way. I've seen alternator regulators fail before, and feel that the small/cheap insurance in that little alternator rebuild kit package is good to bring along. Haven't needed it yet, but...

I didn't read through all the posts but it seems that Champion has to be liable for damages caused by a faulty product. I'm sure if you hit them up w/ a certified letter (from an attorney would be better) stating you're seeking monetary reimbursement for damages maybe, just maybe, you'll get something back.

It reminds me of people having issues w/ cheap ammo detonating their rifles - if I recall correctly - the U.S. distributor of this ammo were taking claims seriously. It might be worth a shot. It's a roll of the dice but if they're at fault then they should pony up and take responsibility.

The sale of Budweiser (AB) was NOT a true hostile take-over..!!

A true hostile take-over is when a person or company buys a majority of a company's stock (own 51% or more)
and thus controls the company...they buy the shares at the price they are trading at on the stock market.

That's NOT what happened a Bud (AB)..the stock (symbol: BUD) was trading in the low to mid 50's..
InBev offered the Busch family (who owned the 'controlling shares) $65 a share and the Busch family turned it down..!!
Sooo...NO DEAL..!!

Then InBev upped the offer to $70 a share and the Busch family AGREED to the price..soo they could have just said NO again..!!
But they didn't..and decided to just take the offer because not there was some REAL in-family fighting going on BIG-TIME..!!

Once InBev took control..they could do whatever they wanted...and the last of what you wrote is true.
It's a damn shame what happened...BUT again the Busch family could have turned down the $70 per share offer..!!
Maybe InBev would have upped the bid to $75 or $80 or ???...no one knows...or maybe they just back away.....???

InBev wasn't twisting their arm...Sooo...it was the Busch family decision to sell - NOT that InBev bought the controlling
shares on the NYSE at going prices..because they couldn't because the Busch owned the controlling shares........

AND THEY WERE NOT FOR SALE.....!!!!!! - - InBev just made them an offer that they ACCEPTED...!!!!
:cheers:
J2F[/

The arguments you make are valid. However, you are not seeing the whole picture. While the family did own the majority of shares in the company, there were many other stock holders as well. If I am a stock holder in AB and InBev makes an offer to buy the company that makes me 10% overnight, I'm going to be pretty happy. If the Busch family turns it down, it affects me as well and I'm not very happy. If InBev comes back and the 10% becomes 20%, I really want them to sell. If they don't, I start to have doubts about the leadership of the company and their commitment to make me money. The reason we invest in the stock market is plain and simple, to make money. When We lose our confidence in a company's ability to make us money, we start looking elsewhere. When that happens, We sell our shares and the stock price drops.
The family did not want to sell the company but had to think of the reaction of the other stock holders. In the end, it was strictly a business decision and the family made the correct one for the stock holders.
No matter what they did, someone was going to be unhappy. If they keep the company, the stock holders are not happy. If they sell, they get criticized for being greedy. It was a no win situation. Ultimately, they took care of the stock holders, which is what a good business does.
Unfortunately, the generosity of the company and it's commitment to it's employees and is what did it in.
If the family was strictly concerned with profit, the ability to generate more was there. All they had to do was eliminate jobs and cut out the philanthropic contributions. They chose not to. This was the first thing InBev did.

srb08...Very good reply and explanation..!!

One of the main contributing factors was the in-fighting within the family...some wanted to sell while others didn't..

August Adolphus Busch IV (simply called "the fourth') as CEO said "the company wouldn't change hands on his shift".

But it just got to be too much in-fighting and he finally went along with the sale though he didn't want to.

I hate that the sale took place at all and I know you feel the same...the communities suffered because as you said...
there was a mass lay-off and InBev cut contributions. So I view it as greed on BOTH InBev and also the Busch family..!!

It didn't need to be done....It was that there came a time when there were just too many shareholders in the Busch family.

The Busch family weren't concerned that much about other shareholders...they were looking after themselves first.

They couldn't reach a peace within the family...so they just sold off and each went on their way.
And not everybody in the family sold off - but enough that InBev got the number of shares needed for control of the company.

Also the 'family' would never have pulled that crap off if August Adolphus Busch III was in charge..!!!!..IMHO
J2F

Last edited:
It is sad that another item that was once Made in America has lost its quality since leaving for foreign soil so the profits can increase and the fat cats can have deeper pockets.

another example of, ".....foreign cars. Filled with fuel that isn't ours and wearin cotton we didn't grow..."

Last edited:
It is sad that another item that was once Made in America has lost its quality since leaving for foreign soil so the profits can increase and the fat cats can have deeper pockets.

another example of, ".....foreign cars. Filled with fuel that isn't ours and wearin cotton we didn't grow..."

Personally, I feel the North American Free Trade Agreement was nothing more than bowing to special interest groups to export work (read expensive labour) to foreign countries, to fatten the bottom line of multi-national manufacturers and large manufacturing companies in both the USA and Canada.

With the implementation of NAFTA, a very large portion of well paying manufacturing jobs went south to Mexico. Which, in my view, is better than sending them to China or India or elsewhere overseas. The reason I say that is that at least we've given Mexicans work. Could you possibly imagine the illegal immigration problems the USA would be facing if the work had gone overseas rather than south?

I don't necessarily believe that moving production of goods orgininally built in North America to foreign countries equals inferior products. After all, when an entire plant/process is relocated, say to Mexico, all that's really being changed is the person running/working on the line or controlling the robots. It's not like each Mexican is given a box of parts and sent home to assemble them.

I doubt that Champion spark plugs are any worse than they ever were. They're still the same mediocre product they always were. The only difference is where the plant is located.

The relationship I have with 'Nuttified Mark' and 'barneyrb' is what I would describe as a "4 Clydesdale Situation"

That's how many Clydesdale's it would take to pull me off their asses...!!!! - - :hmm3grin2orange: - :ices_rofl:
J2F
Kinda sounds like a threat to two members to me. lets not threaten each other over spark plugs. That's the good thing about this country we live in that we have an assortment of products we can choose from. We can disagree but not threaten others.

Thanks for your input..advice..I'm sure it was well intended..!!

We've had some differences of opinion..and the 'opinion' part was the start of the 'back-and forth'..

To me..now..it's just messin' with each other a bit...and hopefully just trying to find respect for each other..!!
I have PM'd both and tried to make peace...I think we're getting there..hopefully.. - but I won't take their crap..!!

We three..Mark..barney...and me...make our livings in very different ways..and we three should recognize that.

That post about the Clydesdale's was a joke to Mark and barney.....No Threat meant what-so-ever...!!

Thanks for your concern...take care..!!
J2F

Last edited:
Thanks for your input..advice..I'm sure it was well intended..!!

We've had some differences of opinion..and the 'opinion' part was the start of the 'back-and forth'..

To me..now..it's just messin' with each other a bit...and hopefully just trying to find respect for each other..!!
I have PM'd both and tried to make peace...I think we're getting there..hopefully.. - but I won't take their crap..!!

We three..Mark..barney...and me...make our livings in very different ways..and we three should recognize that.

That post about the Clydesdale's was a joke to Mark and barney.....No Threat meant what-so-ever...!!

Thanks for your concern...take care..!!
J2F
It's part of the forum rules you agreed to when you signed on.

Latest posts

Back