Post a helpful hint to help teach others

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mingo marker is wicked way to keep all your wood same size!! 16 inch wheel keeps all my wood the same size!! Makes it nice for stacking when its all the same size!!:cheers:

Baileys is indespensible, there is a member of AS who is employed at Baileys, I can't think of his name, but BSnelling in chainsaw forum could tell you who he is if anyone has questions.

Kyle

Make your own wedges out of Oak on the bandsaw. Saw chain friendly and will last surprisingly long. Make them in a variety of sizes. The big ones work well to open up big rounds after starting with a metal one. When cutting firewood length wood from a large log they work real well to hold open the cut and if they drop on the bar no harm done. I have most of my original ones from years ago still holding up as good or better than the store bought plastic. Osage my be better yet if you have it.

RTFM!

Really, I mean it. Even if you've used one before (chainsaw, stove, splitter, whatever), you might be surprised what new tips and features you'll learn. It's also a good refresher on all the safety features and tips that can make the difference between getting the job done and disaster.

COLD ASHES as fly retardant

I found if you dump the COLD ashes into the garbage bag for the doggy poop prior to collecting dog poop and after you collect the poop land mines in your yard. You then dump another coffee can of ashes into the garbage bag and close the lid quick, and it cuts down on the stench and fly activity around the garbage bags. It is especially helpful when the barbecue grill is downwind of the cans.:laugh:

We have 2 dogs and they eat alot and create many land mines. This info is for for those fools who clean up after their dogs and actually throw out the stuff in the trash instead of on other people's lawns or porches in smoking bags.

If you have big wood halve them or quarter them so they'll be easier to handle.

edit: quarter with chain saw

Last edited:
If your barber is in a bad mood, make up an excuse to come back another day.

Clean your chimney regularly, check SD and COD batteries and keep a fire extinguisher close (but not too close) to the stove at all times.

Always check the clothes dryer for cats before closing the door and starting the cycle.

Keep everything from a tree down to about 3/4" dia. It makes great kindling and takes no time to dry, especially if on a dying or dead tree.

If your saw doesn't feel like it's trying to pull you over, it needs sharpening. Or you're using a Wild Thing.

If your cat is excessively lazy like mine, make sure you watch it when it sleeps near the stove. Occasionally they should be flipped, preferably before they start to smoke.

Be careful of the baffle on an EPA stoves with burn tubes when you're loading the stove up for the night.

If you have a soapstone stove, and you're not planning on relighting in the morning, it's not always necessary to get the longest burn time possible. The stove is good at storing heat, and you get more net heat by burning a little bit faster and a little bit cleaner.

Ash leaves a lot of ash.

If your cat is a good hunter like mine, always check your boots for dead mice and chipmunks before putting them on your feet.

If your cat is excessively lazy like mine, make sure you watch it when it sleeps near the stove. Occasionally they should be flipped, preferably before they start to smoke.

Good grief I thought it was only my old cat LOL. When we had a free standing stove in the shop he would sleep so close he was too hot to pet!

My tip?

Dont let rank farts while wearing Carharts unless outside and there is a stiff breeze.

I think one of the best things is to hang around on this site there is alot to learn, be intertained with, cuss about and laugh at.MHO:popcorn:

Dont let rank farts while wearing Carharts unless outside and there is a stiff breeze.

:laugh: Oh man, I laughed out loud at that one. If I hadn't been in between sips of coffee, it would have come out my nose for sure!

And a big +1 on the pulp hook. I describe them as "a handle for firewood" which, as we know, doesn't come with a handle. I use one to lift/move/roll all lengths of firewood from log lengths until it's split.

I think everyone that has worked with me and seen one in action has gone out and bought one of their own. Better lifting technique keeps the strain off my lower back as well.

Latest posts

Back