Potatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
First year using a digger. 1926 McCormick Deering . Sure beats the pitchfork.
image.png

Nice implement. I'd like to see a short video of it in action.

How did your taters do?

We had drought conditions most of July-August and tops keeled over a early. I need to check some hills to see what they produced. I leave them in the ground until cool weather and I can cure them and put into the root cellar. Just have to check that mice/voles don't start in on the rows.....

The 'taters did good @Mad Professor . We were in an "extreme" drought from what seems like early June.
Wire worms were a bit of an issue but the worse ones will be cut up, blanched and froze. Yield seemed average to me, sorry I can't be more specific on that. Surprisingly no mice or voles, but the wire worms forced an earlier than planned harvest.
I tried linking a video but file was too large. My son will put it on via youtube shortly.

Nice implement. I'd like to see a short video of it in action.

How did your taters do?

We had drought conditions most of July-August and tops keeled over a early. I need to check some hills to see what they produced. I leave them in the ground until cool weather and I can cure them and put into the root cellar. Just have to check that mice/voles don't start in on the rows.....
Mine did the same thing. My Yukon's still did good, Norkotah russet's were okay, Burbank russet's sucked.

I'm old fashioned and it's more fun than shoveling manure or snow.

Try to find an old True Temper like this one, new POS from Chi-Coms won't last a year........

View attachment 1017980
I have one of those & an a Mattock that works great in all kinds of soil. We use a mule & turn plow when I was young, 1960's.

Back