Poulan 2300 oiler operations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeRoze

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a brief overview of the 2300 oiler. There are no moving parts in this oiler... no pump. The principle of operation involves allowing positive pressure from the crank to enter the top of the oil reservoir (by using a check-valve). As pressure builds, the oil is forced through another check valve located at the bottom of the reservoir. This check valve simply leads to a line that exits above the bar.

If the oiler continues to oil after the saw is off leaving puddles around the vehicle and shop, crack the oil reservoir cap to relieve the pressure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i got one...

and finally, a summary cheat-sheet.
attachment.php

so i have one i bought recently and the previous owner some how mashed the vent pin???? with like a punch LOL... it did not oil till i replaced the check valve behind the clutch...and the oil line... of course since it has a vent pin thats closed more or less it oils like a son of a gun to say the least now ....anyone know if i can get to the vent pin if i pop the carb and everything else off and go through the top??? thats what i was think of doing but maybe there is a simple way???? to free the pin up? there is no way to get hold of the pin the guy had to have smaked it with a punch thinking this would make it oil.... when really it was just the check valve up top... i was going to sell it but yanked it when i relized it had this problem...

so i have one i bought recently and the previous owner some how mashed the vent pin???? with like a punch LOL... it did not oil till i replaced the check valve behind the clutch...and the oil line... of course since it has a vent pin thats closed more or less it oils like a son of a gun to say the least now ....anyone know if i can get to the vent pin if i pop the carb and everything else off and go through the top??? thats what i was think of doing but maybe there is a simple way???? to free the pin up? there is no way to get hold of the pin the guy had to have smaked it with a punch thinking this would make it oil.... when really it was just the check valve up top... i was going to sell it but yanked it when i relized it had this problem...

hey - a pic would help. but, you would have to split the case to get to the backside of the pin.

same as yours...

eh... didn't label the vent pin
attachment.php

its the same as yours.... except where some one indented the lil pin .. i was thinkin through the top or maybein throught the cylinder... hmmm might be better to take the piston and cylinder and just put them on a case of a 2300 i have that has a scored P/C..... i will see if i can get a pic of the damage the guy did to it in a day or so .... i tried like hell to get that lil pin out LMAO!:hmm3grin2orange:

Repped for great post!
Here is a pic from inside the crankcase half. I have put a nail in the gallery from the check valve (that feeds positive pressure to the oil reservoir) and the other pin to the left is the inside of the vent pin.

P7130850.jpg

And this pic (sorry about the quality) shows how the oil line loops up from the metering body to the outlet.

P7130848-1.jpg

Al

very nice nardo !!! i have not hada case aprt yet ..

Last edited:
I like the statement "oil exits to bar and workbench" in the flow diagram. It also goes to the shelf, the floor, your pickup bed, your car trunk, etc.........:hmm3grin2orange:

Burp the tank to release pressure in the "air space" (as stated in the instructions) when you're done running the saw helps mitigate this. A saw that is filled with oil and has gotten cold over night will start to spoo oil once the sun warms it up however.

it stopped raining here is a pic....he mashed it in to the magesium....View attachment 234934

hmmm. I almost wonder if you could gently drive it through to the tank with a blunted small diameter nail. you could try it at your own risk, but I personally would give it a go, easing it through bit by bit... maybe even trying a softer material than a nail after it got started. But that's me and YMMV.

i have a few ideas ..

hmmm. I almost wonder if you could gently drive it through to the tank with a blunted small diameter nail. you could try it at your own risk, but I personally would give it a go, easing it through bit by bit... maybe even trying a softer material than a nail after it got started. But that's me and YMMV.

i may try through the oil hole and see if i can drive it the other way.. i got nothing to lose....

Nice job on the thread, should help explain some common questions around here.

I only have one complaint. That is the tittle of the thread. 2300's are probably the least found that are based on the Micro saws so maybe the thread tittle should have included a reference to the Micro XXV?

This oiler set up covered lots of models, the Micro XXV, 1800, 2000, 2300, Poulan Pro 180,190,205,235, Husky 23, along with Skil's, Daytons, Wrights etc.

If you guys would like, I have the pages from the Poulan Service manual covering the oiler system that I could post along in this thread.

Last edited:
Nice job on the thread, should help explain some common questions around here.

I only have one complaint. That is the tittle of the thread. 2300's are probably the least found that are based on the Micro saws so maybe the thread tittle should have included a reference to the Micro XXV?

This oiler set up covered lots of models, the Micro XXV, 1800, 2000, 2300, Poulan Pro 180,190,205, Husky 23, along with Skil's, Daytons, Wrights etc.

If you guys would like, I have the pages from the Poulan Service manual covering the oiler system that I could post along in this thread.

Right you are as usual Mark. Please post that info. It'll be of great help to the legions of fellows with all the various red, green, yellow, orange, white, and grey Micro series saws that have been built over the decades.

The title could have been more generic. I was only willing to post what I knew, so the run down of all the models wouldn't come from me. Mark - your mention of some of the other models in your post may help folks find it if they do a search. Also, the service manual would be a great addition.

Hot dog hot dog hot diggty dog!!!

Update so i had no jobs to do to day decided to go and try to fix the lil 2300 and thanks to knowing what the whole layout was inside thanks Nardo!!!!! i was able to get a long extention in the and pop it a few times and the vent pin popped up enuff for me to grab it... worked it in and out a bunch and she now works pretty good so good i think my addiction makes me want to keep her.....seems like the saws i put the most into i have a hard time parting with LMAO!!!! Dude im stoked thanks for heroze for makin the thread ,and thanks again nardo for posting the pics!!!!! it let me know where everything was and what it looked like!!!!new oil line new fuel line filters new oil check valve switched cases from a doner saw... then the vent pin thing uggg im glad i stayed with it !!!!!:msp_w00t:

Back