Poulan 245 help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrone

Reaction score
I have an old Poulan 245a chainsaw that runs great until it gets a heavy load on it. It then bogs down like it is out of fuel. The carb has been repaired and fuel lines have been replaced. What should I check next?

tyrone said:
I have an old Poulan 245a chainsaw that runs great until it gets a heavy load on it. It then bogs down like it is out of fuel. The carb has been repaired and fuel lines have been replaced. What should I check next?

First clean plug or maybe replace. Then go into muffler to be sure its not blocked with carbon. Then you might also make an adjustment to the hi adjusting screw on the carb. Make a note of how many turns from seated position (dont overtighten) it is now. Then back it out 1 turn. Start it, warm it up, then test cut. Make adjustment as needed.

It sounds like it may just need to be leaned out a little on the high side.

At least that's what i would try.

Check for a crack in the intake boot.
My thinking is when you put pressure on the saw handle it stretches the intake boot and opens up a crack in the rubber, thereby allowing extra air to get sucked in the fuel mixture and causing the fuel mixture entering the motor to be too lean.
Cracks in intake boots can be hard to spot without flexing the rubber around a bit.

Latest posts

Back