Poulan 3400 went to its new owner- Reminded that my "junk" isn't junk to others.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigv

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of a Christmas thing that is done for families by a few local people, a 14 year old boy asked for a tablet 2 years ago, and it ended up he only asked for the tablet to give to his younger sister. The mom and grandpa ended up letting us know that the 14 yo wanted a small saw to do small cutting clearing work with and use with his weedeater and mower to earn money with.

After an agreement that the 14 yo learn how to use the saw and only use with supervision from the grandparents or the mom(dad is not in the picture)- I gave the boy a Wild Thing I had gone through.

That was 2 years ago. He came by my shop right after Christmas and was wanting to pay me to show him how to rebuild his Wild Thing. His Wild Thing had had it- it was shot, it wasn't cracked up or anything but the crank was walking enough to be worrisome about it grenading at high speed.

I had a Poulan 3400 and he wanted to buy it. I offered him a deal where I would go through a piston ported 38cc-40cc John Deere(Remington/MM style) with him and in exchange for his labor help, he could earn the Poulan.

He was busy, I was busy, so he finally came by this morning and we cleaned up the cylinder on the Deere, put in the piston and rings I had for it, and when we got done, I explained I needed the Deere like I needed a hole in the head. I told him he could have it too with the 3400, same deal as the Wild Thing- adult supervision only.

Both of his grandpas have small acreage with trees and he goes out with any time he can during fall and winter to cut wood for firewood and if he gets clearing work in spring and summer, his grandpas switch out and drive him to the jobs and "supervise".

I had someone ask me if I was doing the right thing wasting money on giving away saws, and I had to laugh because the kid is saving his money to attend school for something he can use- he wants to be a forester or go into welding or try the CNC machining program. He pays the weight on a lot of his families expenses- power, heating during the winter, groceries.

I am not trying to make a political thread. I am not trying to tell anyone else what to do, I am not trying to tell anyone do anything I do, but if there is some place or someone who could use a saw or its parts, don't throw it away. The 3400 and the John Deere had both been trashed at a local salvage yard for aluminum. I gave $5 each for them.

I don't like Poulans myself anymore. I used to, but honestly these days both saws were junk to me.

Watching a kid like this struggle and there is no more I can do for him almost hurts sometimes. Sometimes it just makes me mad. Why ? I had a 20 year and a 21 year old who go to school at the college in Cullowhee want to work over Christmas and I had hired them to help skid trees out with my John Deere dozer. They lasted 3 days before coming to work blasted on weed and sneaking off to pop percocets.

I'm not bragging about doing this, I didn't do it to be thanked by the kid, I think people can help other people without a gun to their head or being forced to do it.

I would say great job. You paid it forward to help someone at an early age to pick something up and see the end result of work being done to an item as the saw and then the kid can in return see the value twice when he can make some money to help support himself and family. That kid will have learned that he can with some supervision pick up other things in life and make something from it.

I think it can make a person grow greatly from that into an adult.

It would seem if the rest of the general entitlement population could grasp this concept it would switch us back to the awesome country we once were.

That kid will have learned a lot from what you have done for him.

I like it a lot!

I'd say the job ain't finished until you teach him how to file a chain.

Just kidding, man. You've gone above what most would do. I'd like to think I would do what you did if presented with the same circumstances.

God Bless you

As a machinist who also welds, I'd advise him to look for a different career path. You can earn a living at either one, sometimes a pretty comfortable living, but there are a lot of crap jobs with crap pay in between. I can't say much on the welding side of things other than I generally hate welding. On the machining side, he won't be doing much other than pushing buttons and changing parts as a "cnc machinist" for a long while. The vast majority of those jobs are dead end with little to no room for advancement and very few opportunities to learn. There are some specialized niches, but specializing limits your job opportunities. If he's really interested in CNC, then he should pursue programming.

Good job for helping him out. :)

That young man has more initiative than most people I see nowadays. You did the right thing hooking him up with those saws. Most kids that age are only interested in playing their PS4's

I wish there were a few kids like that around here. My garage is full of "good" crap that needs to be loved. If he ever kills the 3400, post up here and we'll find him something like an 036 or 359.

On another note, being an O.P.E. tech is very rewarding if you are good and find a good dealer to work for. I would certainly mention that if I were to meet him.

I'd also give you props for helping a family out.

This kinda reminds me of when I used to take truck loads of wood over to a family that lived in the trailer park near my parents. The father also not in picture much and the mother is deaf and works at wally world. Their teenage son a bread winner for the family also. Anyhow, they heated the double wide with a wood stove and had no wood. I took a load of dry oak over for them and handed the boy a rebuilt 026; since his Homelite super2 was weak. The father showed up 2 weeks later since the pipes froze under the house and proceeded to use an open flame propane torch to thaw the pipes out. Yep you already know where this is going... The family that had very little to begin with lost their house to a fire caused by the father. Anyhow I don't know why that story poped in my head but it did... Guess the moral of the story is that helping kids out that help their families is always good.

I wish there were a few kids like that around here. My garage is full of "good" crap that needs to be loved. If he ever kills the 3400, post up here and we'll find him something like an 036 or 359.
On another note, being an O.P.E. tech is very rewarding if you are good and find a good dealer to work for. I would certainly mention that if I were to meet him.
Or maybe we just find him a bigger top end for the 3400? :)

I would encourage a good skilled trade as well. Welders around here in the production facilitys earn big money. I'm pretty sure the John Deere welders that have been there 10+ years are banking 6 digits! Metal fab is something I wish i had better skills in... Sigh...

I miss kids that want to learn for the sake of learning.I'v had my shop in this town since 96.The last kid who hung around the shop to learn went on to become a licensed mechanic.Since then there hasn't even been one that wanted a job in the shop.The kid that became a mechanic last was in my shop in 2000.
Thomas

Latest posts

Back