Poulan 4200 5200 Fuel lines....another approach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just wanted to put this up here, as I saw some threads on how to do Poulan 4200 fuel lines that involved a bulkhead adapter, tapping the tank and I present this as an alternative method.

I get tygon line that fits tightly inside the fuel line hole in the tank. I think it is 1/4" od. It has a relatively thick wall. Get flexible tygon line. The oregon stuff is too stiff for this. It is snug in the tank hole and keeps gas from leaking, but you can still slide it back and forth. Shove it in the tank and keep pushing till it comes out gas cap hole. Stretch line with needle nose as shown (wd40 helps). The line is tough and have to work at it a bit. Filter is easier than carb due to better access. In cold weather, I have used a hair dryer to help as well. Be careful around gas.......hot water may be smarter but then u have to get water out of line.

tIMG_1917[1].JPG
Install filter
IMG_1918[1].JPG

Now back to the topside. Pull the line back through to get desired length in tank. Then route free end of line to carb nipple. Cut to appropriate length
IMG_1919[1].JPG Get back to work. This line is amazingly tough, and I've only had a couple split ever from doing this, Open the needle nose while they are inserted and keep doing it over and over until u can force it over the carb nipple. This does take some work and a little cussing.
IMG_1920[1].JPG
Force the line over the fitting with the needle nose. If you can't get it, return to previous step. Cuss if you need to.
IMG_1921[1].JPG

This saw would not suck gas when I pulled it over. On these old saws, that I haven't seen before, I spray wd40 in carb and cylinder to lube things up.......Spray little ether in carb and choke it. I had to use ether 3 times before gas appeared in the fuel line. After gas appeared in fuel line and made it to carb, engine started.

And now we have.....another runner!

Just another way to skin the cat. The stretching the line is a PIA, but it works, and the tygon lasts a long time. Also this line is flexible enough to let your fuel filter flop around in the tank..

On those old saws, if the choke wont draw the fuel in a dry system
I like to just put my thumb over the carb inlet and then give one or two pulls.
If all's well with the fuel system this should prime it and have your finger tip damp
With the saw ready to pop.
Back before corn-gas, we used to do it on one that had been sitting "since last year" and often get one going with a bit of splutter.

You can also use one of your old round files, heat it up a bit, then stretch the end of the fuel line that way. Most fuel lines you can only use the tang though because of size.

Thinking about it, the correct size nail locked into some vice grips and heated up would work, too.

On those old saws, if the choke wont draw the fuel in a dry system
I like to just put my thumb over the carb inlet and then give one or two pulls.
If all's well with the fuel system this should prime it and have your finger tip damp
With the saw ready to pop.
Back before corn-gas, we used to do it on one that had been sitting "since last year" and often get one going with a bit of splutter.
I have a big tank of 93 octane no ethanol at the house. My wife's car requires premium is why 93 octane. I use pri g stabilizer and thus far have had no issues with small engines sitting up to a year with gas in them. The corn gas is a different story

I have a big tank of 93 octane no ethanol at the house. My wife's car requires premium is why 93 octane. I use pri g stabilizer and thus far have had no issues with small engines sitting up to a year with gas in them. The corn gas is a different story

PriG is *good stuff*. I burned some that was still good at right at four years old!

Latest posts

Back