Poulan 71 A electronic ignition conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I figured I would post my findings on this. I decided to take the electronic ignition off an old Poulan 2000 and see if I could successfully mount it onto the laminates of the 71A's ignition system. After mounting and placing on the saw I found unlike the McCulloch SP125 that the position of the electronic ignition module on the old sand cast Poulan is out of timing, and Poulan must have used the keyed cam placement on the crankshaft to compensate when using the points. I will however try to make a new mounting plate for the electronic ignition and see if I can make it work. I will post pics when I start on it.

Very good. I would suspect that most all electronic ignitions are a little more advanced to compensate for the module to do its black magic and make spark.;)

The points system is good, but I really like this ignition after converting my sp105 to it. I have been pondering and think I may have a solution without having to make anything. I will take some lapping compound and lap the flywheel to the crank for a better fit and then do away with the key and move the flywheel where I need it. I will experiment with it some more tonight.

how much will the flywheel have to be moved ? i've heard of filing offset keys to alter timings. FWIW neat project.+1 for innovation.

Wish i could get rid of some of these 71-A parts i have

need to pay some bills and not got the funds to pay them

Calven, what 71A parts you talking about?

I went to your site and did a search for 71A and 71-A.

One Poulan 71-A air filter showed up. One part, not "parts"!

I told you before you need to list something other then part #'s on your site so people know what you had.

How many dollars did I just spend with you when you finally told us you had 245 muffler parts? That's right I bought just about all of them didn't I?

Why? because I finally found that you had 245 muffler parts, but then I still had to look up the part #'s to the IPL's myself to see what they were.

Most others cannot or wont do that. You cannot sell what folks dont know you have.

Now quite whinning and go update your site and let people know what you have..

Alright, I did not having a timing problem. It face palmed after seeing my mistake. I left the retaining washer off the stater plate when assembling which gave me a wrong air coil gap. Should not work so late on this stuff. Installed the spacer and it blubbered back to life. I will try it out tomorrow and see how it does.

Don't feel so bad, I was putting that Ridgid/306A back together the other night and was just finishing tightening up the carb screws when I looked on the bench and seen the reed valve cage and reeds laying there! :ices_rofl::bang:

Back