poulan chainsaw model P3516PR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunh2s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hiya guys

well here is the latest headache i'm dealing with...i have a poulan chainsaw model#P3516PR the chainsaw brake engaged while the operator was on the other side of a hugh mountain of debris to be cleared and cut, and wound up melting the chain brake housing to the assy-clutch drum..

ordered and recieved re-placement parts for saw...and started to assemble again...but its not going to plan so far....i will put the ipl link in case some kind hearted soul would like to take a look at this with me...lol

http://72.3.225.179/manuals/165458.pdf

it looked to me like the only way to get the ref #11 part#530057905 of parts list assy-clutch drum into the ref#35 part#530071893 kit-chainbrake...was to un-do the brake band from kit chainbrake and put the drum inside and re-attach the band....because the drum would not slide into this piece...very tight to the point i was thinking they sent me the wrong part, because the drum was a little bigger in diameter than the brake band...but the part numbers matched so i guess its right.....when i put it together in this fashion...you can't move the drum inside the band still very tight....so i don't see how the engine will turn this drum...this tight.....and i put the band back together the way it came from the factory.....so thats confusion headache #1

#2 headache is even after i got the drum inside the chainbrake kit......i tried to get it on the saw and line up the ref#32.part#530057897 handguard to assemble....it seams that no matter where i position this hand guard back,middle forward it won't actuate the chain brake band....and there is a type of spring ref#33 part#530016416...this spring is still in the saw housing...and no idea how it works together with the hand guard..

so does anyone have a link to how to properly install a chainbrake on a chainsaw or would like to comment on this nightmare....lol

i'm also looking for a service manual for this saw...and the closest thing i'm finding on the net is a clymer repair manual...chainsaw service manual 10th edition it has 25 popular chainsaw's and 800 models covered...it does cover some poulan chainsaw's so worst case senario and i have to order it....it should cover chainbrake installs in it i hope.....any comments welcome

thanks guys
cajun

Sounds like the chain brake is engaged still, if it is, the band will in fact be smaller than the drum.

Might be best to take it to a shop at this point.

thanks for the replies guys

i contacted poulan @ 1-800-554-6723 and a fellow told me that poulan doesn't even have a service manuel and haven't printed one in years.... i thought great way for folks to keep buying your product poulan with no help on repairs...

so i'll keep fighting this saw the best i can.......whats giving me loads of grieve is when you put the new chain break on, and try and actuate the hand guard the spring pops out the back....maybe i should be making sure all screws are tight and not just snug before i try the hand guard to see if it moves the band open...i thought that they were on good enough...but spring popping out is maybe a signal it wasn't......it takes me a while to get the spring back in...cause i have no tools to tension this spring to pop back in place....just a screw driver and pushing in by hand...wow....this spring has enough tension to shoot my screw driver across my work bench when it slips....lol..

the plastic teeth on the inside of the hand guard is taking a beating from all the attempts to go back together with this piece...and i'm wondering if i should order another....but before i do....i would really like to have some type of walk through on this chain brake so i don't mess up the next one....or maybe the one i have will work...if i know i'm going back together with it correctly..

for a few times i tried to install it all together....took the brake band off and put the drum inside brake band to go together all at once.....it seems this isn't the way to go....

so now i'm trying to leave the drum out....get it together then open brake band by actuating the hand guard to slip drum in......but exploding spring has kept me from moving forward.......

any advice you guys can pass me is much much appreciated.....thanks again for responding so far guys

cajun
i

It really makes me sick how Electrolux ruined Poulan's name. Poulan use to make some of the best most dependable saws around, but I guess time does change some companies.

It really makes me sick how Electrolux ruined Poulan's name. Poulan use to make some of the best most dependable saws around, but I guess time does change some companies.

Yeah. And the same with Partner, which is what the Poulans are sold as here, nothing left of what was once a innovative manufacturer of good quality saws.

But otoh. you don't buy your competitor to maintain the competition...

well....today was the day....i finally got the chain brake back together and working.
what i have learned on this repair is.....the hand guard should be all the way forward on saw while installing chain brake....this was an area i was confused about...after i figured that out...it lined up like a champ......then i installed all screws and tightened down......then you pull the hand guard back....and you will hear a loud pop....this is the tension of the spring actuating the band open.......then slide drum into place install keeper and retaining ring....and its a done deal....

thank you jesus....i'm so glad is on correct now......

cajun

Latest posts

Back