Poulan Pro 455

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatch Block

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a Poulan Pro 455 off Ebay that I will pick up on Friday (as if I need another saw). I recall this saw was (according to Chain saw Age magazine) purported to have the best power-to-weight ratio in its day (late 1980s-early 1990s). Any of you guys ever run one of these? Was it really a good saw? Does it have any mechanical weaknesses? I've owned other reed breathers in the Poulan Pro line up such as the 405 and the 525 but never the 455. Thanks. John

What did you pay for it? I'd like to find one of these Pioneer based Poulans, (and one of the Partner ones), for the collection. I know that they were made up until the early 90's.

Hi Spike. I will pay $81.00. As for the very late model big Pioneers (P62, P65), big Pioneer/Partners (P42 through P65) and Pioneer-based Poulans (405,525, and 655) that I've owned and seen, they were good saws that had a tourquey yet fairly wide power band. I loved those saws. And that's what led me to buying the 455 -- which is one I've never even seen -- only heard about many years ago. John

The 455 should be a decent saw. After Poulan bought out Pioneer, they carried on the P series of saws for a few years. The 455 is 72cc and falls in between the 405 and the 525 so it should have decent power and torque. They made various upgrades to these saws to improve dependibility like increasing the crankshaft strength, bearing size and piston strength. These saws ran at a higher rpm than the Pioneer p series and I have heard that they didn't last as well as the old designs. No personal experience. The old saws lasted for years. I recently aquired a 405 and a P62. Have both saws running and am interested in cutting to see how they stack up against my older p41's and p51's. If I can find a 455 I will add it to my collection. There have been a couple of 655's listed on ebay lately as well.

I just bought a Poulan Pro 455 off Ebay that I will pick up on Friday (as if I need another saw). I recall this saw was (according to Chain saw Age magazine) purported to have the best power-to-weight ratio in its day (late 1980s-early 1990s). Any of you guys ever run one of these? Was it really a good saw? Does it have any mechanical weaknesses? I've owned other reed breathers in the Poulan Pro line up such as the 405 and the 525 but never the 455. Thanks. John

Super saw, I used one for about 4 years as a firewood cutter/seller, it would not die. Sold it & wish I had not. Will handle a 26" bar with ease. Good luck

The really good PP was the 505, which was the same as the original 82.4cc Jonsered 2083.......:greenchainsaw:

Back