Pound for Pound

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if consensus can be reached regarding to a consistent and common set-up, I'd be most happy to weigh mine. I'd support a fluids full, powerhead only arrangment.

Wet-weight removes the obvious state-of-fill variables and reflects work-ready; while powerhead-only keeps bar-length preferences out of the mix.

I could go with full or empty and calculate this mass in or out, but having a hodgepodge of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 7/16 or whatever estimates really detracts from the validity of a dataset.

+1 How about full or empty, full would be better. Steve

Now I gotta go weigh my saws? Hmmmm :monkey:

Just so long as we don't get neurotic and start feeding them diet gas and low fat oil....................:greenchainsaw:

I don't have access to anything like an accurate digital scale, so I will measure and weigh my saws in cubits and stone.....I think the 084 with the long bar, combat ready, weighs about 2.562348 stone. So there.

HEBREW DESERT WEIGHT (HEAVY).

1 Talent……..786600.0 grains equals
60 Mina……..13110.0 grains, or
3000 Shekel…262.2 grains.

This is how I will measure my saws' displacement........:monkey:

ROMAN LIQUID VOLUMES.

1 Amphora…1493.00 cubic inches equals:
2 Urna…746.50 cubic inches, or
8 Congius…186.62 cubic inches, or
48 Sextarius…31.10 cubic inches.

So the 026 Pro has how many "Sextarius?":hmm3grin2orange:

http://www.celticnz.co.nz/Weights_Measures_Volumes/Weights_Measures.htm

Someone should create a wiki site for folks to enter the weights in. It should be weights without gas/oil though, because it looks like we have some dealers on here that would be willing to contribute weights, but can't fill with gas/oil.

I'd like to see a 361 with a 20", and a 6400 with a 20". :)

Can't help you on the 361, but here's the weight on the 6400 that I posted a while ago in a different thread:

PS-6400, no bar/chain, clutch cover installed: 14.44lbs (14lbs 7.0oz), advertised PHO weight: 13.6 lbs;

PS-6400, 20" bar, 72LP chain: 17.88lbs (17lbs 14.0oz)

you can weigh em as you please, but for real world arguments, I would prefer to see them full of oil and fuel.

Full Powerhead weight and then complete saws with b/c setups.

example.....MS440 power head full of fuel and oil equals X

MS440 with 20" or 24" bar and chain. equals X + Y

I think full powerhead only weights would be better, then we could weigh each bar/chain setups.

I know a 24" Stihl ES bar weighs more than an Oregon Powermatch 24"...

So if we had the PH weights we could add the bar combos to arrive at our final weights for comparison sakes.

you can weigh em as you please, but for real world arguments, I would prefer to see them full of oil and fuel.

Full Powerhead weight and then complete saws with b/c setups.

example.....MS440 power head full of fuel and oil equals X

MS440 with 20" or 24" bar and chain. equals X + Y

I think full powerhead only weights would be better, then we could weigh each bar/chain setups.

I know a 24" Stihl ES bar weighs more than an Oregon Powermatch 24"...

So if we had the PH weights we could add the bar combos to arrive at our final weights for comparison sakes.

I agree. The most relevant weights would be full of fluids (who runs an empty saw???), but without B/C. As long as we compare like bar types (laminate, lightweight, solid core, hardnose, etc) then there's no real dif in weight between saw (not bar) manufacturers. This is the way to keep it simple and relevant.

Ok I’m out of rep to dish out for today guys but its coming, I do agree with E&E about dry weights. Some saws may have large tanks compared to others that have small tanks in the same class.

Ok I’m out of rep to dish out for today guys but its coming, I do agree with E&E about dry weights. Some saws may have large tanks compared to others that have small tanks in the same class.

so if a 7900 with half a tank of fuel equals a full 372...the point is......

Empty, half full weights are all irrelavent to me. Full wieght baby, that is what gets carried around. Who cares if the saw weighs 2 lbs less without fuel and oil. I guess that might make a difference at the end of the day when you are carring the empty saw out of the woods........

I'd stick by this

MS361 with double dogs/roller chain catcher:
Powerhead only: 6546.8 gm = 14.4 # (with full tanks)

It is what it is... my scale has varied only a couple tenths of a gram on a 10,000g check in the past year.

so if a 7900 with half a tank of fuel equals a full 372...the point is......

Empty, half full weights are all irrelavent to me. Full wieght baby, that is what gets carried around. Who cares if the saw weighs 2 lbs less without fuel and oil. I guess that might make a difference at the end of the day when you are carring the empty saw out of the woods........

Your right about the full verses half full weight Freakingstang, my reasoning is that if someone was comparing saws that they might choose the lighter of the two not knowing the heavy saw was holding an extra pound of gas/oil.
My 7900 goes through fuel pretty quick so I kind of like having large tanks, the less I have to fill the more I’m cutting.

Back