Power Max engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure who makes them.

i was under the impression they were made in Ching Chong land.

More than likely they are like Northern Tools tractors. They claim that they are made in the USA, but are in fact made in China. They get away with the "made in America" claim by ASSEMBLINGthem here with Chinese parts.
According to Dept of Commerce, as long as 20 percent of an item is assembled here, then they can claim it as MADE here. That 20 percent will probably be sticking the stickers on it and bolting on the fuel tank.
There sure has been a lot of Chinese knockoffs hitting the market lately, and people wonder why our economy is in the toilet.

They are made in China!!! Bought one of these generators little over a year ago, went camping plugged it in to the camper and within the hour it fried my TV, stereo and whatever lights i had on. Called the place in cali where i bought from and they sent me another. Sold it before i even opened the box! Generac is the way to go for generators IMO

Sure look like a Knock off!

GX160.jpeg

XP65HP_front.jpeg

You only have to look at the engine. If it looks like a Honda and it doesn't say Honda on it, you know they didn't build it here.

I see the Titan generators on Craiglist all the time. New. Still in box. Made in USA. Yeah, right!

chinese cr%p try gettin parts for that stuff just hauled off one of those chinese dirt bikes (like an old honda trail 50 ) kids maybe put 40 miles on it fuel petcock broke off in hand when turning gas on plus other little stuff tried to order parts from manual what a joke. stick to name brand stuff. you are truly better off i have 2 coleman 5500 gensets beat the crap out of em fire all the time.

Verrrry interesting! That explains how a person could buy an 8.5KW gen for $750 (Generators Direct). Wally (Sam's Choice) has a Honeywell 7.5KW with Briggs engine for a little less than $1K. Online research yeided nothing on Power Max at all.

A local yokel sells the Ching Pao variety of gens...laughable!

yea i will bash the china crap least the jap products i have run across namely honda build one heck of a product tons of money spent on r&d easy dealer network for parts never had a problem with honda im sure there are plenty that have i have never met anyone that said boy im sure glad i bought that china made peice they just dont have the dealer support . and you think as long as they have been importing that junk they would. i honestly dont think they care as long they make a buck.

on a side note i heard an article that its gettin to expensive to do business in china and a lot of them are moving factories to veitnam. i for one will not buy anything from veitnam i dont care how cheap it is.
was in kohls shopping today trying to find a winter jacket almost all there mens jackets were made in veitnam including columbia sportswere.

It's funny hearing you guys bash the China made stuff and praise the Honda. I can remember when the same things were said about anything Made In Japan.
Dok

Honda's have always been good. The first Honda I remember was a 55cc motorcycle from the 1960's. It never quit.

The first dirt bike I had as a kid was a Honda SL 70, and I shudder to think the abuse I handed out to that poor thing. Seems that no matter what I did to it, it ran. Didnt have a dad around as a kid, so i didnt know a thing about maintenence.I dont remember ever changing the oil.
The thing ran for years until one day I hit a stump with the gear shift. Broke so much stuff in the tranny that the local repair guy told my mother it would cost more to fix it than it was worth.
It was replaced with a XR 75, it too ran for years until I was hit by a car.Even after the crash the engine ran fine, the rest of the bike was trashed.

This is just my uninformed country boy opinion.....but this is the way I have it figured out. The Japanese have research departments and engineers and are actually doing testing and figuring things out on their own. They try to manufacture things as efficiently as possible and they are very good about quality control. Once they had a source of materials their products became very good. At this point I believe China is just copying stuff.....they really have no idea why things work well and may substitute a cast piece for a forged piece.....it all works for them! (I know that this is a bit of an exagerated believe - but I do believe there is some merit to it). Every year China is moving millions of farmers into the Cities and giving them factory jobs and they are keeping them busy manufacturing poorly copied products.

I had both CB175/CB350 Honda's back in the 70's.....I think! Not bad bikes. Made in 'Nam....I don't think so!...Let Jane Fonda wear it!

This is just my uninformed country boy opinion.....but this is the way I have it figured out. The Japanese have research departments and engineers and are actually doing testing and figuring things out on their own. They try to manufacture things as efficiently as possible and they are very good about quality control. Once they had a source of materials their products became very good. At this point I believe China is just copying stuff.....they really have no idea why things work well and may substitute a cast piece for a forged piece.....it all works for them! (I know that this is a bit of an exagerated believe - but I do believe there is some merit to it). Every year China is moving millions of farmers into the Cities and giving them factory jobs and they are keeping them busy manufacturing poorly copied products.

I agree with a lot of this,my brother is in manufacturing,and China copies everything,and immediately. Millions of dollars in R&D is spent by legit american,german,and japanese companys,only to have china buy one of the first ones,disassemble it,measure,and invenrtory every part on programs,so they can basically copy the entire thing.With patent laws,there is usually a way around them by making a few small changes to get around it.

I changed a bearing in one of those Northstar generators for a guy, it had 1 hour on it. Must have had soy-sauce instead of grease in that one. :dizzy:

It must have had a defective bearing or it was damaged during install. I wasnt aware that northstar gen heads were china made. My larger gen is a 10k northstar,so far no problems in about 5 yrs of occasional use.Im pretty sure the head in mine is made in USA. My briggs vanguard engine on the northstar is made in japan,what a nice running little twin cylinder it is too.

Latest posts

Back