Power outage and owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you post a pic of your pumps motor plate?

It's very possible it could be rewired (switching connections) to run 120v.

I would be happy to post the photo, except this is a submersible well pump so it's not easily accessible. I need to do some research to figure out how deep my well is.

Since it's submerged, it's possible they didn't use a multiple lead motor. Typically you'll have 4 poles and can configure them in series or parallel for high/low voltage options. With it being dunked, they might have wound it without that capability to reduce the number of possible water entry points.

Lapeer - the ice last week was brtual. We only ended up being out for 12 hours. (middle livingston county) The ice was breaking up sunday morning.
My parents in shiawassee not so good 7 days to get power back.

You could look at getting one of these.
It can fill your pressure tank back up so you can use water in your house like normal, the down side they are pricey.
A 12 volt pump dropped down the well casing would work too.

http://flojak.com/flojak-plus-100-foot-stainless-steel-pump-kit/

Fortunately with water to air forced air furnace it still take sa "big" generator to heat my house, it is a half horse blower motor, so I just cycle my 5550 watt gen. Heat the house up cool the fridge pump water watch tv or what not for a while then shut it down for a bit.

I am going to start the process to convert it over to propane and build a little shed for it here soon. At least I won't have to go hunt for gas at that point.

A 120v to 240v transformer could be used to power your well pump if your 2KW generator is big enough to supply the surge current needed to start the well pump. Look into some of the new soft start pumps. The transformer would need to large enough as well. Like http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACME-T-3-53...RI-TO-120V-R20386-/380606829267#ht_2028wt_642
You may be better off getting a cheaper (not inverter type) generator of say 5KW or so that has 240VAC and use it to top up the well tank as needed. Your 2KW Honda will easily run your OWB and a few other things on less fuel.
A panel interlock could also be used to feed a 240VAC generator back into your home panel. Gen may have to have a floating neutral. Check codes and an electrician.http://www.interlockkit.com/
All of these are workable if you are there to activate them. A large true sinewave UPS 2KW to 3 KW with a large battery bank gives you security in knowing things are OK for many hours all automatic.
Then you could just get a 20 KW. whole house back up generator with an automatic transfer switch on a 500 gallon propane tank and be done $$$$$.00.
At least you have heat for your home, all you need is a bit of power to run it.
Better planning than most people.

I see a 5kw non inverter Honda generator in my future.

I couldn't tolerate the idea of running a loud gas guzzling generator 24/7, but would be happy to use it to top off my well tank. I did find a data plate that indicates 3/4 hp, 6.4 amps 230 volts. Obviously I need significantly more amps to start the pump.

I also like the idea of an automatic inverter backup for the boiler. I work 24 hour shifts as a firefighter, so I'm gone for 26 hours at a time. It would be nice to know that my owb lines will continue to circulate water.

The Honda eu2000 is fantastically amazing when it comes to fuel economy. I burned less fuel in the almost 5 days it ran non-stop than most generators use in a day.

Last edited:
Back