Power outage for 6 1/2 hours

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paso One

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well some idiot shot out some insulators on a 72,000 volt power line and it caused 20,000 customers to be without power for 6.5 hours.

Since my 2 circulation pumps were not drawing water from the OWB. My water tempeture soured from 180 to over 215 degrees and the water was boiling in the OWB for at least a couple of hours.

My damper is controlled by the 24 volt transformer so it shut when the power was off. that should have snuffed the fire out if it wasn't for the fact it was just filled and was at the high end of the burn cycle.

I wasn't worried at the beginning because we are never without power for long but 6 hours in -40 degree weather would be a differant story, luckly it was only 20 dergrees.

Next time I will have my generator ready for service to power my pumps.

Yes I have only water in my system and on the 6th hour my water was at 30 degrees cold enough to freeze but not cold enough to break anything.

Thought I would pass this along so you guys can think of the "What if it happens to me" Am I prepared.??

It can only make you hope they find him cold when they do find him.

I hope I don't end up in the same boat this Winter. I went to get mine out to make sure it was going to be ready. It was gone, no trace except the wheel tracks on the garage floor.

It can only make you hope they find him cold when they do find him.

I hope I don't end up in the same boat this Winter. I went to get mine out to make sure it was going to be ready. It was gone, no trace except the wheel tracks on the garage floor.

man that sux. someone stole my .026 while getting a hair cut earlier this year. I was stupid for leaving it in the bed

Wow that stove really climbed in temp fast !!!! 180 to 215 !!! never thought about it , with the damper shut I didn't think it would climb that hi , but it makes sense , right now my circulators are running non-stop but I think my dealer is going to change that when he comes back to finish the wiring and stats . I have my generator ready !!!

If any of you are looking for a cheap, legal way to hook a generator into your house wire, check http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

It is simple, easy to install, and a big rip off for what you get except for the UL approved label. Once your generator is connected in, you can run any circuit in the house. With my 6250 watt Coleman, I can run everything I need except the kitchen range and A/C.

That is similar to the reason I added an automatic standby generator at the house. I have found that it is worth the expense.

My Central Boiler owners manual says in case of a power outage you can use a 12v battery and a power inverter to keep things running....I thought it was a good cheap idea that could easily be carried out and set next to the furnace for a couple hours of circulation to keep stuff like this from happening.
In my case I'll just back my Ford Escape Hybrid out to the boiler and plug the pumps into it's 110v plug and turn the truck on...will cycle the engine on and off as it needs to keep the voltage up,battery charged and pumps circulating :)

If any of you are looking for a cheap, legal way to hook a generator into your house wire, check http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

I had planned to back feed one circuit with a smaller generator just for the stove fans and some lighting. I was going to have it wired up when the stove got installed this spring. A buddy told me that in a fix, you can throw the breaker of the circuit you want to run to disconnect it from the mains and just plug the generator into an outlet to back feed it. Mind you, I realize you can't pull any real current that way but it should work fine for a couple lamps and to keep the fan running on the wood stove for heat.

Ian

Easy enough done, but the power company requires an idiot proof way to prevent back feeding to the incoming lines.

The first winter after i got my house, the power was out for 5 1/2 days. At first it was kinda fun "camping" and boiling water for showers etc, until I remembered the septic is pump-up, so no telling when it would fill up....ended up being a pain. Now have stand-by permanent generator.

Careful with this...

One of the best ways to hook up something that needs to be run from a generator is to wire it up with a plug. You simply unplug it from the wall and plug it into the genny.

If you switch off your MAIN breaker then you could use a double ended cord to power a outlet and get power the house. This is kind of risky, but possible. I like the idea of the transfer panel that transfers certain circuits to the generator.

-Pat

back feed

I know a guy with a with 110/220v gen and he made an extension cord with clothes dryer plug on one end and other fits generator. He has written up method of procedure for connecting his gen to house power when ac goes out. He disconnects main breakers and all panel breakers. Then plugs cord into dryer outlet and gen. Then he turns on dryer breaker and then other breakers for refrig,freezer,wood furnace blower and also 220v well pump. This is with 5000 watt gen. He has panel marked in red and green for breakers to be off/on when operating with emergency power.

As a licensed sparky, I must add to this.

Only backfeed with a homemade setup when absolutely necessary! And only if you understand what you are doing, how electricity works, and what could happen if something goes wrong.

If your power company catches you with the double ended cord and no positive lock out, there will be big trouble. Better either go with the plugs and extension cords or a UL approved system. I like the interlock because it is cheaper than the transfer panels, easier to install, and gives me any circuit I decide I need.

Only backfeed with a homemade setup when absolutely necessary!

As a sparky...you should know better....NEVER BACK FEED!!!!

Some tired lineman who's been working 20 hours straight to restore your power forgets to hang his meter on a line...you kill him.

Double ended cords are dangerous and illegal.

Do it right, fellas'. Got this entire rig...wires, box, breakers for less than $500. Did my own work...

attachment.php

my father has a patented battery backup (UPS) for oil burners that would seamlessly integrate with OWB's. Its no different than a standby generator, but runs off deep cycle batteries, it kicks on automatically if there is a power failure and recharges itself after power is restored. In bad situations it can also be recharged by hooking up a traditional generator for a few hours. Run time can be 3-12 days I believe depending on how big of a battery bank you hook up. If anyone's interested I'd be happy to put you in touch with him.

Some tired lineman who's been working 20 hours straight to restore your power forgets to hang his meter on a line...you kill him.

All it takes is a little attention to detail and some common sense. A simple thrown breaker to isolate the circuit avoids the problem you outline. Naturally, you could easily kill someone, burn your house down, overload your generator or all three at once if you don't.

Ian

Common sense...I concur. Does everyone have it?

Your adolescent son who's watched you do this before?

Your panicking wife who's worried about the food...or the neighbor she calls to help her?

I can not be responsible for the actions of others...therefor I will idiot proof my rig as much as possible.

Power goes out here a lot...each family member takes a turn with the switch and the generator...

I'm very comfortable that everyone knows what they're doing...and can have all the power they need even if I'm golfing in Myrtle Beach...

Latest posts

Back