::: Power vs Torque :::

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

::: Power vs Torque :::

• Power

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Torque

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • Depends [on the application]

Votes: 35 43.2%

• Total voters
True that you cant have hp with out torque. In the application of a chainsaw torque is nothing more than the heat generated when your sprocket is turning at a fraction as your crankshaft. Do you honestly think torque is an issue at 13,000 rpm? Look at any dyno. It is below the chart at that point! That is why Stihl reports brake horse power. HP under load.

It's a simple equation. No torque equals no power. So yes, it is therefore an issue at any rpm.

In the application of a chainsaw torque is nothing more than the heat generated when your sprocket is turning at a fraction as your crankshaft.
Not true. Torque is never heat. Torque is defined as a rotational force. That is why it is always expressed in length x force. 1 foot * pound is equal to one pound of force at a distance of one foot from the center of rotation.

Last edited:
heat is a result of energy loss, not because of torque.

if there was minimal torque at 13000 rpm the saw would stall as soon as it touches the wood because of a lack of turning force.

Not true. Torque is never heat. Torque is defined as a rotational force. That is why it is always expressed in length x force. 1 foot * pound is equal to one pound of force at a distance of one foot from the center of rotation.

Or newton meters!!!!!!!!:givebeer: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

See what you started Adrian!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I will drink beer untill the room spins and then I am am torqued. Whats the formula for that?

Seems ta me we got to the heart of the torque question last year, and the year before........................................GAH!
I think if ya wikkipedia it or go to 'Howthingswork.com' most of you would stop arguing about it as its put pretty concisely, if I am not mistaken the links to several articles will be here if you do a 'torque vs. hp.' search here, not sure what the thread name was right now, somethin' like that lol.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers:

Serge

So RR2, did you find out anything on the power to torque of a biggin yet?

Seems ta me we got to the heart of the torque question last year, and the year before........................................GAH!
I think if ya wikkipedia it or go to 'Howthingswork.com' most of you would stop arguing about it as its put pretty concisely, if I am not mistaken the links to several articles will be here if you do a 'torque vs. hp.' search here, not sure what the thread name was right now, somethin' like that lol.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers:

Serge

That's why I put the link in Post #3! but most would rather argue than read :monkey:

Someone PM chowdozer and tell hm there's another torque/power thread....

In any case SAE HP sucks. We need RAC HP. Lot's more people would be torqued-off with the later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back