Powerhead up or down when saw is verticle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 5 foot bar as a hedge trimmer mounted on a garden tractor. I need

to mount the powerhead either up or down. I'm trimming the branches of an

untrimmed orchard growing into a driveway. Any ideas?

Also would a horizontal or verticle Stihl cylinder be better?

Many thanks.
Rob

If you mount it on a truck maybe.......and you will absolutely need a hedge trimmer guard but I have never seen one that large so you would have to make one.

You still stand a good chance of breaking the chain and smashing up the truck windshield

I can't imagine that using a pole saw would take more time to do the job than it would take you rigging up your idea

If you mount it on a truck maybe.......and you will absolutely need a hedge trimmer guard but I have never seen one that large so you would have to make one.

You still stand a good chance of breaking the chain and smashing up the truck windshield

I can't imagine that using a pole saw would take more time to do the job than it would take you rigging up your idea
A couple of thousand trees, the orchards aren"t used. Its about keeping the rows open for the guy that owns it. He is a good guy that has had a run of health problems.

The trees are semi dwarfs, close planted 10 ft between rows

I remember you talking about this at the GTG last Dec 8th.I would like to see pics of it!

I'd mount a couple of 5 foot diameter circular saw blades (drive from the PTO), one on each side of the the tractor. You can use it for chariot races after the trees are done. Polish them so they are mirrors - then you can come "out of the sun" ;)

I dount your idea is practical.. you won't be able to control the rpm "in the cut" and as PES says... you'll need to fabricate a fingered hedge trimmer-like blade guard to grab the branches.

There are of course the hydraulic bush cutters for such work.. but they make a real mess.

I'd mount a couple of 5 foot diameter circular saw blades (drive from the PTO), one on each side of the the tractor. You can use it for chariot races after the trees are done. Polish them so they are mirrors - then you can come "out of the sun" ;)

I dount your idea is practical.. you won't be able to control the rpm "in the cut" and as PES says... you'll need to fabricate a fingered hedge trimmer-like blade guard to grab the branches.

There are of course the hydraulic bush cutters for such work.. but they make a real mess.
We had the big orchards trimmed with a rig that had 4 foot circular saw blades, about 5 I think for the sides and a boom with a like set up for the tops, at about 25 ft.

In the cut problem is with a hand brake from a bike, with an in line spring I made.

the Granberg attachment does the hedge trimmer problem, friend has used one on a chainsaw for about 20 years. Multifloral rose and vines no problems, apple trees don't seem too bad.

Next Problem??????????

I don't know if this is any help. But I have used a ford 8n with the center mount sickle bar mower. It would run almost strait up and as kids we used to run through the woods with it running. I would cut anything up a inch thick. Although we would get a lap full of branches really quick. It was all cedar and pines. It is a little hard to rember how well it worked as it was 25+ years ago.

Billy

So no inertia chainbrake

At best...........

YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT KID

at worst.............don't wanna even guess.

It is one thing to carry the saw with the mill atached and use it as a hedge trimmer......quite another to have a saw running flat out mounted on a lightweight tractor and not inertia chainbrake

I don't know if this is any help. But I have used a ford 8n with the center mount sickle bar mower. It would run almost strait up and as kids we used to run through the woods with it running. I would cut anything up a inch thick. Although we would get a lap full of branches really quick. It was all cedar and pines. It is a little hard to rember how well it worked as it was 25+ years ago.

Billy

The branches are so thick that the sicklebar can't get to them, got to be front mounted. And it beats the hel0 out of the tractor.
Thanks

Back