Powering Down....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffontap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't read already...

I've had a 272xp for a while that I really like and I remembered that my friend said he had a rebuilt 272xp head sitting in his shop. I came over and looked at it--looked cared for--so I offered him $50 which he reluctantly took. He told me that he had taken the saw in to rebuild it after a year of use because he wanted a more powerful saw and he could move up to an engine 10cc's bigger on the same case (I assumed he was talking about a 281).

Well, the saw has great compression and starts and runs like it's new, but it can't be a 281 if it's on a 272 case--which it is. So, until I look into it more, I'm milling with a $50 mystery saw and every time I've said I was using a 281xp I was actually using what I suppose is actually a run-of-the-mill 272xp. At any rate, not a bad head for $50. :)

J. D. Duff

In case you haven't read already...

I've had a 272xp for a while that I really like and I remembered that my friend said he had a rebuilt 272xp head sitting in his shop. I came over and looked at it--looked cared for--so I offered him $50 which he reluctantly took. He told me that he had taken the saw in to rebuild it after a year of use because he wanted a more powerful saw and he could move up to an engine 10cc's bigger on the same case (I assumed he was talking about a 281).

Well, the saw has great compression and starts and runs like it's new, but it can't be a 281 if it's on a 272 case--which it is. So, until I look into it more, I'm milling with a $50 mystery saw and every time I've said I was using a 281xp I was actually using what I suppose is actually a run-of-the-mill 272xp. At any rate, not a bad head for $50. :)

J. D. Duff

nice, milling cheap. Like me, your proof that you don't need a 660 or 395 to mill.

nice, milling cheap. Like me, your proof that you don't need a 660 or 395 to mill.
No you don't for logs under 15-20 inch range, which in my case would be about half of the logs I mill slabs off of to get into cants. I've milled 32 inch oak with a 60cc saw though, and it was pretty painful. Got through it, but the saw was pouring it's little heart out non-stop for 15 minutes. I just don't like working a saw like that for that long. But 8-12 inch wide boards using say a 24 inch bar with .375 LP chain... no problems for a 272 or even a 60cc like my 365.

Last edited:
The funny thing is, until I started thinking about it, I was under the impression I was using a 281. I was happy with the results I was getting and I didn't really have the impression that I was underpowered. Now that I realize I have been milling with 10cc's less than I thought, I'm doubly impressed with this saw.

The truth is, until I have a 395xp or 3120xp, I'll probably always secretly wish I had a saw 5cc's bigger. That's one of the burdens of my personality. But, with a rapidly-growing pile of lumber in the back yard and good times in the field--it's hard to complain about what I've been given.:)

J. D. Duff

The funny thing is, until I started thinking about it, I was under the impression I was using a 281. I was happy with the results I was getting and I didn't really have the impression that I was underpowered. Now that I realize I have been milling with 10cc's less than I thought, I'm doubly impressed with this saw.

The truth is, until I have a 395xp or 3120xp, I'll probably always secretly wish I had a saw 5cc's bigger. That's one of the burdens of my personality. But, with a rapidly-growing pile of lumber in the back yard and good times in the field--it's hard to complain about what I've been given.:)

J. D. Duff

Use it, its working for you. My thoughts are this. Use what you have if its working for you. Don't pay any attention to what anyone says if its working for you. When you make enough money that you can get a bigger saw and pay cash for it, not charge it, then go for it. Untill then , sounds to me like its working for you, and you are happy milling with it.

Latest posts

Back