PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubba and Joey will use the stone on the chain they already have...

if it is possible it is inevitable. I'm just curious if shrapnel would result?

Nothing breaks but the 91 VG chain "sharpened" on the bar mounted sharpener will be sharp enough to barely produce bug dust.

The guys like Joey one tooth are the reason the bar mounted sharpener does not come with a stone installed. If he tries to sharpen his 91VG with a new sharpener nothing will happen because there is no stone. The chain and stone are sold together to help Joey not make a mistake, but Joey can get creative and sooner or later will be making bug dust. Joey will call our service department to complain and one of the nice ladies will kindly explain the problem and solution.

Last edited:
The 91 PowerSharp and regular 91 chains had the same cutting speed in our comparative testing.

Thanks for breaking a sweat to test the PowerSharp system and stopping by the OREGON booth at GIE.

i was there saturday was talking to mcculloch guy from kansas he may be calling me sometime

if you were there saturday i was the one who sat on the bench stool had to get off my feet from all the walking lol

Nothing breaks but the 91 VG chain "sharpened" on the bar mounted sharpener will be sharp enough to barely produce bug dust.

The guys like Joey one tooth are the reason the bar mounted sharpener does not come with a stone installed. If he tries to sharpen his 91VG with a new sharpener nothing will happen because there is no stone. The chain and stone are sold together to help Joey not make a mistake, but Joey can get creative and sooner or later will be making bug dust. Joey will call our service department to complain and one of the nice ladies will kindly explain the problem and solution.

Now that's funny, nice sense of humor PS-ENG.

so where is the 'review' part of this thread. I'm tired of reading through **** chat already.

I would've bought one of these at Lowes but they didn't have my size there.:mad:

small minded talk right there.

not really. It is a gadget for the lazy and inexperienced. Those unwilling to learn to sharpen. Learning to file a chain is part of owning a chainsaw. Checking your oil and tire pressure is part of owning a vehicle. None of these things are difficult but there are always those who won't. Thats called lazy.

not really. It is a gadget for the lazy and inexperienced. Those unwilling to learn to sharpen. Learning to file a chain is part of owning a chainsaw. Checking your oil and tire pressure is part of owning a vehicle. None of these things are difficult but there are always those who won't. Thats called lazy.

by your logic tire pressure sensors and low oil level indication sensors have no place on cars. Just another small minded post in this thread.

Do you call yourself lazy for using a television remote control? Didn't think so. It's all about freeing yourself up to do the things in life you WANT to do, not the little pesky things you HAVE to do. These types of inventions make our lives better. If you can't see that, you are small minded.

I was skeptical about this system working but I'm a believer, in it after actually using it.
I was sent a demo one of a 16" to fit a Stihl to fit my MS211. I went out and used it like a typical consumer ran it hard
cutting some red oak logs next to the shop. When it stopped cutting well I put on the sharpener, and it sharpened right up,
and went back to cutting. I ran it for 45 minutes or better, it still was cutting.
For consumers, the price has been the main issue not if it works or not, they have a hard time swallowing 65-75$
for a system designed for use on 250$ and less saw. Even with the 10$ rebate there is a bit of sticker shock.
Anyone interested I let them demo my MS211 and it helps relieve any fears about the investment in it.

The setup at the shop

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0569.jpg

The chain after much use and some abuse.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

Just another gimick to break, who needs it, my manual oiler works just fine - grandpa naysayer way back when.

I can file a chain, but until someone good showed me, I was clueless. For the target market, this may just be the hot ticket. The twice a year user want to grab his saw, clean up the branches and move on. 4 seconds to tune up a chain that accidently hit the dirt will be appreciated.

I agree, too much$ for me. If Harry happy homeowner agrees And does not buy them, Oregon will quit making them, and you guys will have been right.

Look at it from the homeowner point of view. To replace a worn out bar and chain from the dealer it would run about $50 depending on the saw. If you have the shop sharpen the chain at $5-10 each time, the $75 up front doesn't sound too bad.

:agree2:

Seems like it would be a good thing for a homeowner, casual firewood cutter.

$75!!?
first I thought it was silly, now I think its terrible.

$75 vs. the cost of two files and a raker height gauge? just crazy, even more so for the guy who runs a saw once or twice a year

It is not a cheap system, but you need to be a bit more fair on the math. Two files and a depth gauge tool should be under $10, but that does not include the cost of the bar and chain that are included with the starter kit.

In round numbers: a bar ($25), a chain ($15), plus 4 sharpenings at a local saw shop or hardware store @ $8 ($32) - rounds out somewhere close to $70.

Yeah, you can get better prices on sale, but this system is it is not designed for the guy that knows a lot about saws or sharpens chains by himself. What he gets is the ability and the convenience to keep working, and not having to stop to take his chain in periodically.

Not for everyone, but could be a convenient system for the right type of user.

Philbert

Plus, not having to take the chain into town, drop it off at a shop, and
hope they sharpen it correctly in a few days wait.

Or you could just sharpen it in the field in under a minute, and keep on cutting!!!

Sounds like simple math to me, well maybe a little Algebra....

Back