PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A neighbor, just across the alley, decided to have a massive Silver Maple removed from his backyard. So, I had to spend part of the day watching how the crew worked, and had to ask for some free firewood, even though I don't have space to store much more.

I cut up about a face cord of 6 inch to 16 inch diameter limbs (it's a huge tree - we are not even near the big stuff yet) with a new PowerSharp chain on my Makita UC4000 electric saw (16" bar, 13 amps). Did not need to sharpen it yet.

Got very fast cuts and very smooth edges cross cutting/bucking the green maple. I noodled and ripped a few crotch sections, and the chain did OK, but did not seem to do this as well as I remember with the PowerSharp chain on a STIHL 021. Might be the different saws (power, chain speed); might be the different wood (I think that the other was Ash?).

Anyway, so far I like this electric saw/PowerSharp combination, and it seems to fit with the homeowner type user combination.

Philbert

(EDIT - replaced lost photos - should be similar to originals)

P5052415.jpg

P5052413.jpg

PS - It noodles really well too!

P4172338.jpg

manyhobies posted this in another thread - I am linking it here to help people find related posts.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/167869.htm

Another PowerSharp thread!

Well at Grandpatractor's (JD) GTG last weekend philbert had the Orgagon Reps come out. They were looking for guys that had saws below 50cc to try their PowerSharp system on.

My first impression was “okay….I’ll try it……I’m sure I will not be impressed”…. Boy, was I wrong! That chain really does cut! I had ran it at the GTG and thought it cut fine. Today I used it on a black walnut. I put the sharpening stone to the chain and had wished I’d done that sooner! It cut even better.

IMHO the system would be best for people who do not have a clue on how to sharpen a chain, and use their saw for the occasional storm cleanup. This would have been great for me before joining AS. I really didn’t know much about sharpening a chainsaw.

My opinion may change as I use the system. If it does I'll post that too. The only payment I got was the FREE system.

I know there were quite a few systems given out. The other guys that got them feel free to post your findings in this thread.

If anyone has a question about the system, I’d be happy to try to answer it.

More experience with the PowerSharp

Well I've got some more time on the PowerSharp system..

Things I like.....

I got my system free....was asked to share my findings so here I am.

It does sharpen up fast! I do wish I had ran the sharpener on the chain right out of the box! I did find it to cut better after the first sharpen. I don't find myself trying to get through a cut and wait to sharpen. I just shut off the saw, pop on the sharpening unit and have at it. Then it's back to finishing the cut. Not having to spend the 2-10 mts filing is nice!

It's been mentioned to put the sharpening "unit" on the same way every time. I didn't remember what way I put it on the first time so I haven't kepted to this rule. I haven't seen any ill effects. The diamond stone dresser appears to keep the stone groove shaped up.

If having a sharp chain to make a couple of key cuts say like on a construction site....possibly demo work....is important to you and time is more important than money....BUY THIS SYSTEM! IMHO...you'll never look back!

Things I don't like:

Longer bar. I'm using the system on my little Pouland 2550. I was using a 12" bar and I don't like the longer 16"....

Heavy spring in the sharpening unit. They put a very heavy spring in the sharpening unit almost to the point of over kill. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be lightened up! The spring is strong enough to flex the bar when pushing against something. I really don't see the average "JOE" being careful about not flexing the bar!

I've broken off one or more cutters cutting up pallets. I probably hit a nail. I think the cutters could have a bit more material put into them.

The cost is higher than buying a regular chain.....Time will tell if I buy a replacement chain/stone when this one is dead. On the plus side, I can run regular chain on this bar.

The cut is as smooth as a regular chain (as smooth as a chainsaw can get). With this I'm thinking about someone like my BIL who's in construction. He has built log homes. Here is where a "smooth" cut is important.

If you'd like more info, drop me a PM. I'd be happy to answer your questions. If you live in SW MN and would like to try a system. Drop me a PM.

Regards,

Dan

I'm posting this out of my free will. The only interest I have in PS is that they gave me the system and asked to give feedback.

Thanks for your input Dan,

I have gone through more than a full cord of wood now with this system on a few different saws - gas and electric. I was also surprised at how smooth the finished cut was.

I am assuming that the broken cutters can be replaced the same way as any other cutters, but that most saw shops do not carry these parts or this chain by the loop, so it might not be a practical possiblity, unless you have a couple of damaged chains to piece together.

Interesting question - how you would grind down a new replacement tooth to match the existing ones on a chain . . . .

I would like to see them offer, and would like to try, a heavier gauge system for larger saws and disaster clean-up, which might also be good for the construction use you mention.

For the record - the only consideration I have received for my input has also been the chance to try the system and to speak with some of their reps in exchange for feedback.

Philbert

Don, thanks for your 2¢. I presume you meant that the cut ISNT as smooth, right? since you're listing it in the "cons" ?

Justin

Yes...you are correct! A typo on my part!

I've used the PS system a bit more. I'm getting close to what I believe the end of the life of the chain. I need to count the number of teeth that have broken off. Now it's a "skip" chain. I really did try to be careful not to hit the nails in the pallets! REALLY!

Larger size in the works

Currently, the PowerSharp chain is limited to smaller displacement saws (up to 45 cc?) running 3/8 low profile chain.
According to their website, Oregon is working on a version for mid sized saws - .325 / .050. This will work on saws such as a STIHL MS 250 and MS 260, and others (50 - 60 cc).
Based on my experience with the 3/8 LP chain, I would be very interested in trying this for storm clean up work where we work with volunteers and we hit a lot of junk. The current size has been limiting because we only use a few of those smaller saws for this work.

*** They have posted a 'Notify me; link if you would like to be notified when it becomes available. ***

ATTENTION: PowerSharp® is currently available for 3/8" low profile pitch, .050" gauge saw chain; a .325" pitch saw chain is being developed. If you would like to be notified when it's available, please provide your contact information. Notify me

Find the PowerSharp® part for your chainsaw.

I have recently seen the 16" 'starter kit' (bar, sharpening cassette, chain, stone) at a local home center for as low as $53, with the replacement kit (chain & stone) going for $29. I still think that this will take off better when it is packaged as an OEM upgrade with new, consumer saws.

Philbert

Update on my PowerSharp

Well.....I've used my first PowerSharp chain all most all up. There are a lot of cutters that have broken off. This happened when I used the chain to cut up pallets. I tried to avoid the nails....I guess I hit more than I thought I did. The chain will still cut...however, it doesn't cut like it was new(er). I think a little thicker material could be used for the cutters.

My conclusion:[/B] This system is great for the guy who uses his chains until they don't cut anymore and then puts on a new one. I probably got around 10-15 sharpenings (just a guess) from this setup.

I probably will not buy a replacement chain/stone.

OREGON PowerSharp Chainsaw Sharpening System High Speed Video

On YouTube

EDIT - original video no longer available? Here is a similar video of the PowerSharp chain on Oregon's 40 V battery chainsaw with the built in sharpener.

OREGON PowerNow CS250 PowerSharp High Speed Video

OREGON PowerSharp - Check out OREGON PowerSharp chain in the high speed video when it is contacting the sharpening stone at full speed. Look for the little white balls the move slowly around with the chain. These are sparks shot at high speed. Some of the seem to even explode in the video. Pretty cool. Obviously, don't try this at home with the cassette open. So check it out.

Philbert

On YouTube

‪OREGON PowerSharp Chainsaw Sharpening System High Speed Video‬‏ - YouTube

OREGON PowerSharp - Check out OREGON PowerSharp chain in the high speed video when it is contacting the sharpening stone at full speed. Look for the little white balls the move slowly around with the chain. These are sparks shot at high speed. Some of the seem to even explode in the video. Pretty cool. Obviously, don't try this at home with the cassette open. So check it out.

Philbert

Are they all 'skip tooth'? That video beats the hell out of this one, tho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVGn2bSlfk
You can't cut no metal with a chainsaw!

Last edited:
Are they all 'skip tooth'?

Mine aren't. The ones in the YouTube video are also full comp. They might look funny as the cutters are very different from conventional chain: the bevel is on the top of the top plate, and each cutter has 2 depth gauges. Each drive link has a low kick-back hump at the front. And there is one dresser link on each chain loop. Hope that helps.

Philbert

Is there a case for professional use of this chain/system?
Something along the lines of it saves X amount of time at $Y/hr, cuts W x as fast as standard chain, and will cut Z times as much wood per chain/block compared to a conventional chain?

If it stacks up on a cost per unit production (whatever that unit happens to be for the user - cord, tonne, bundles, stumps per day, etc) then let's hear it. If it doesn't stack up for pro use, which is my gut feeling, let's hear that too. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Depends.

I was skeptical at first. I considered it as a homeowner focused product for casual use. But I was impressed at how well it cut.
If someone is performance oriented, meticulous about sharp chains, knows how to sharpen effectively, etc., then they will not be satisfied with this system. Case closed. It will not cut as fast or as clean as square ground chisel chain. It will not outlast conventional chain (my opinions). It costs more to buy.

But I have seen guys in the tree removal business who didn't have the sharpest chains. Guys who are not production cutters and don't need a super clean cut; they just want to cut through stuff to remove it, make some firewood, do utility work, etc. I do volunteer storm clean up and the Oregon guys pointed out how we tend to hit a lot of debris in the wood, so there is a potential advantage to being able to quickly sharpen and return to cutting. Depending upon the work one does (fence line clearing, etc.), the situation could be similar. Some of your buddies tell me that you guys have tough wood over there - not sure how it would handle that.

Currently, the chain is only available to replace 3/8 Low Profile, which limits it to smaller displacement saws (up to 45 cc?), but could be handy to have up in a tree. Word is that they are in the process of developing a .325 version which will work on 50 - 60+cc saws - more in line with some professional use.

From a cost standpoint, once you have the system (bar, sharpening cassette, chain, sharpening stone - $55 to $75 around here) replacement chain&stone combos go for about 1.5 to 2 times the cost of conventional chain. I don't think that you will cut 1.5 to 2 times as much wood, but you will definitely save time sharpening. Depending upon the skills of your crew, and your wage rate, there might be a payback or break even deal. If you only sharpen at the shop, or have to walk back to the truck, there could be some advantages.

So there can be a case, depending upon your situation. Don't mean to be evasive, but you'd probably have to find a way to demo it to see if it meets your needs.

Philbert

PowerSharp OEM on Efco

Looks like Efco is offering PowerSharp as OEM on some saws. I thought I would have seen it first on Craftsman saws, as Sears likes to promote features, like tool-less chain adjustment, in their ads and product descriptions. Also, as an earlier version of PS chain came on the Sears saw I bought 20+ years ago.

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-03-15 at 9.02.49 PM.png

Chainsaws | efco Power

Something along the lines of it saves X amount of time at $Y/hr, cuts W x as fast as standard chain, and will cut Z times as much wood per chain/block compared to a conventional chain?

If it stacks up on a cost per unit production (whatever that unit happens to be for the user - cord, tonne, bundles, stumps per day, etc) then let's hear it. If it doesn't stack up for pro use, which is my gut feeling, let's hear that too. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

We have had many requests from arborist/tree service companies for PowerSharp units, but the problem is compatibility, like Philbert mentioned, PowerSharp being currently limited to 3/8" low profile severely limits its application among professional users, who use saws like Stihl MS260, Husqvarna 346XP etc. Word is, around March they will have the .325 version out, adding compatibility for Oregon K095, D025 and D009 bar mounts. (I'm not 100% on the D009 mount, it may have been a typo, I don't know as I've ever seen a saw with a D009 mount that uses .325, although you could always convert it). Also, there's a big price drop on PowerSharp units being rolled out.

As soon as there is one Available for a Husqvarna 365, 3/8 20", i want one... i will buy it as a gift for the young guy up the road that brings me his 2 chains every bloody Ute load (1.5m3) of wood he cuts for a grind... I think every time the rocks hear him pull up in the bush, they quiver with fear... This system "WILL" serve a purpose regardless of how many negative's some of you have gone out of your way to find.

Back