powerstroke or cummins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitsubishi Fuso makes many different models of cab over medium duty trucks, all but the FG are two wheel drive. The FG model usual configuration is a 4.9L I-4, 5sp manual with a 10Ft dump body. The 4 wheel drive has hi and low and if I recall the low is a real 4 locker. New FG (2008+) are available with an auto transmission but you need to get the 14ft bed to get the auto. If you flip up the cab and put up the dump body everything on the truck is exposed for the easiest maintenance I have ever seen on a truck. Most of the dump beds I have seen on this truck have fold down sides so you can quickly convert it into a flat bed. Lots of municipalities/contractors in my area use these things as plow/sander trucks. They remain the only “old school” diesel left on the market and if the EPA has its way, they will disappear soon. I am almost positive that Mitsubishi fuso makes its own diesel motors. Only an old fart like me would want a truck like this.

Yep they do make their own motors. I hear ya about the old school deisels. It's the same in the fishing fleet around here. Almost all the refits are electronic controlled (chip) deisels now a days. Very few manual old school motors left out there. Some of the old timers will insist or rebuild versus swap out refit with the new hi tech deisels. They like too be able too do something besides change the oil. Mitsubishi makes a nice marine engine :cheers:

i drive a 6.0 550 at work and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. and to those who say the body is better i have to dissagree. we have all three brands at work and the chevys have the best design and quality. ive got maybe 50k on it and probably $10k worth of uncovered by warranty service. it also has maybe 60 percent of the power it had when new(but thats another story). nobody wants a work truck you cant work.

I have had all three chevy, ford and dodge. ford is a great truck but fuel mileage sucks and i would hate to see anything break there is no room under the hood (2008 3/4 ton diesel) chevy was a piece no power and an uncomfortable ride (2005 3/4 ton diesel) dodge was a great truck not the best ride but the best motor by far and over 20mpg on the highway empty 16 loaded (24ft enclosed trailer about 8 thousand pounds) (2003 3/4 ton diesel) These trucks are all provided by my employer and were all used on the same trip to florida pulling a 24ft enclosed trailer. when you pull that large of a trailer that far you get a good understanding of a truck (all nonstop trips auxilery fuel tank added)

Last edited:
i have had every diesel engine ford ever put in thier truck.

1985 f-250, 6.9 L - great motor if you dont need to go anywheres in a hurry.
1991 f-250 7.3 L - great motor, got you there a little quicker. transmissions where a big dissapointment though.
1995 f-350 7.3 DIT - fastest truck i ever owned. no complaints with that one while i owned it, but once it went to fleet it got destroyed. stopped running good around 200K.
2001 f-350 - no complaints, still running good with about 170K.
2005 f-350 - i guess i am the only one in the free world that got a good one? some minor issues, egr valve, cracked flex pipe on the exhaust. still running good at 90K.
2008 f-350 - only 248 miles so far and i love it. nicest ride in a pickup i have ever been in. period.
in my honest opinion idiling the new diesels is a big no-no. i never let my truck idle, and as you can see, i have very few trips to the dealer. the twin to my last truck has the same miles, but twice the hours on it. that truck frequents the dealer often. the driver of that vehicle wont hear anything i have to say about not letting it idle. he is another one who just doesnt understand what idling does to the newer engines. the one thing i have learned with the 7.3's and above - the oil fires the injectors. change your oil at 5000 miles. big mileage in between oil changes is whats wiping out the injectors.
i really feel any truck you buy now will be a crapshoot. we have a newer GMC that was a like a test truck, what a big dissapointment that vehicle has been. the days of just keeping oil in it and filling it with fuel are long over. i have no real dodge experience, but like stated earlier, good motor surrounded by dodge product. after decades of making a crappy truck, dodge finally made one a little less crappy that everybody drools over...i cant figure that one out.

i have no real dodge experience, but like stated earlier, good motor surrounded by dodge product. after decades of making a crappy truck, dodge finally made one a little less crappy that everybody drools over...i cant figure that one out.

I think you answered this one yourself... :buttkick:

There are plenty of reputable shops that convert Fords to Cummins power.Fordcummins has a reputation for doing sub par conversions,selling inferior parts,and not delivering them on time.

FYI,if anyone is serious about a conversion,go to someone who knows there stuff,

http://destroked.com/

http://www.cumminsstuff.com/conversion.htm

http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/store/cummins-conversions/cat_30.html

Do some reading here if interested in a swap

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

I have a 6.0 F550 2006 and I wouldnt trade it for anything -pulls like a mull with no complaint, both worry and trouble free...

I dont have to rely on others referrering to theirs buddies buddies who have issues - the F550 does a great job and handles weight over the 19k rated with ease-

cummins all the way. i have a 06 cummins with the six speed and wouldnt trade it for anything. my cousin has a 6.0 powerstroke and besides it being sick compared to the cummins it is his second one because ford had to buy back the first one due to major engine problems more than one time.

I have early build 03 ford with the 6.0L. I drive it everyday pull a 34' foot 5th wheel and no problems yet. I use the truck hard pulls good hasnt let me down yet.

First of all it's a Cummins, not a CUMMINGS. Also, the cummins is a medium duty rated engine. The ford and chevy are LIGHT duty rated engines. Wonder what that means?

Cummins rates the engine to have a service life of 500,000 miles and there are many million mile motors out there.

When was the last time you heard about someone removing a cummins motor to install a stroke or a max? Probably never, and if you did, then it is proof that crack kills brain cells.

The Dodge trannys can't just hold the power the motor makes. Plain and simple. The 48re is an improvement, but any mods will tear up any of the trannys. It is a simple fix to have the trannies built. Problem solved.

I have a 12 valve and it just works and works and never complains. KD

Last edited:
I have a 6.0 F550 2006 and I wouldnt trade it for anything -pulls like a mull with no complaint, both worry and trouble free...

I dont have to rely on others referrering to theirs buddies buddies who have issues - the F550 does a great job and handles weight over the 19k rated with ease-

i had power too until it started blowing the air tubes off, fords fix for that was taking half my power away and telling me they didn't. i used to be able to haul our jd 110 backhoe on a triple axle trailer (15k combined) up a particular hill at 65 with the cruise on. now i have to mash the throttle down to keep 50. ive hauled a 9t excavator, its just fords service is crappy and the truck is in the shop all the time.

i had power too until it started blowing the air tubes off, fords fix for that was taking half my power away and telling me they didn't. i used to be able to haul our jd 110 backhoe on a triple axle trailer (15k combined) up a particular hill at 65 with the cruise on. now i have to mash the throttle down to keep 50. ive hauled a 9t excavator, its just fords service is crappy and the truck is in the shop all the time.

When they reprogrammed them they took away some power and fuel economy on most of them. Just as mentioned above we have alot of them with problems and some have never had a single problem.

One reason I have not had any problems w/ mine. I refuse to let them re-flash it, which can cause more problems than you took it in to start with.
Ford's answer to all problems...re-flash.

Dodge transmissions can't handle the cummings power.But ya can't kill the motor

Think Fords 4r100 is any better? they aren't. At least the Cummins,(BTW there is no G in Cummins),is a great engine.The 7.3 PSD is a decent motor,nothing next to the 5.9 Cummins,and they still have a crappy transmission.At least you can throw $4000 at the Dodge trans and it will be strong enough to turn up the power a bit.You have a solid powertrain,easy and cheap to maintain.Down the road,if you need a whole new fuel system injectors,pump,transfer pump,your out 2000,if you needed it all.With a PSD,your out over $5000 for the same parts alone,no labor.Labor will be 3x longer ona PSD as well.Same deal for head gaskets,3x the time to do them on a PSD.

I have a 94.5 7.3 Powerstroke in a F250 extended cab 5 speed with 4:10 rear end. I bought her new in August of 94 and she has been a dandy. 117K on it now and use it to pull my camper a few times a year and my flatbed for firewood. If I had to buy a new diesel truck now I have no idea what I would do, probably buy a gas truck. With the high cost of diesel fuel and the crazy engine option cost it just doesn't work out to any savings, especially when you drive one like I do.

ive got almost 500,000 miles on my two dodge cummins p/u's never had trans problems . i do gc work -pulling ,towing, plowing these trucks dont have nice easy days . ive ripped a class 5 hitch in half pulling 30 yard roll offs out of the mud on sites and when its clean it pulls my 31 foot aft cabin 300 miles to lake george so i can sun my bald head while rocking back and forth on the lake ( the only thing i catch on the boat is a buzz)

CUMMINS- THE 361 OF DIESELS:givebeer: :givebeer:

Back