Pre-Filter for Air Filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleDuster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg Anyone know of any Pre-Filters that are available for my style air filter on a Stihl MS261 C-M?
I've used Outerwears Pre-Filters on dirt bikes & atc's that I owned in the past and they were great in many ways, but they don't have the size I need.
This is my second saw that I purchased about month ago, last saw was an Echo CS 520 that I still have, but needs repairing. Anyway, I just want to do my absolute best in preventative maintenance on this chainsaw.

You should be able to buy a fleece filter that goes around the HD filter. Part of the HD filter system...if I'm not mistaken

I purchased a pre-filter for my MS-461R shortly after I bought it. When the pre-filter arrived, it looked good and all that, but I wasn't all that impressed with the way it fit the actual filter.

And, to add just a bit more frustration, it didn't allow the cover to properly fit back on the saw as it should. The top of the air filter and the cover that goes over it, is extremely close. The pre-filter added just enough height to cause issues.

I removed the pre-filter and put it back in it's package. Not saying you will have the same problem, just making you aware of the possibility. I too, have an MS-261 C-M. I'm not running a pre-filter on it and it's doing just fine.

When I used to ride enduros in real dusty conditions some used cut-up pantyhose over their air filter. Would change them out at gas stops and restarts. Seemed to work pretty good.

Why would one need a prefilter for a saw?

When I used to ride enduros in real dusty conditions some used cut-up pantyhose over their air filter. Would change them out at gas stops and restarts. Seemed to work pretty good.

Why would one need a prefilter for a saw?

The panty hose idea I might have to try. As to why on a saw, most firewood I get is 2-3 year seasoned oak or dead ash. Even with a brand new chain you get very fine dust because zero to little moisture in the wood.

It is very rare that I cut damp or green wood. So dust and fine saw dust is always an issue. I still have several sets of prefilters for my dirt bikes. There is all kinds of porous fabrics available besides outer ware that work well. A major part of this plan to keep them clean is filter oil and grease. Most filters will stop the dirt and dust with filter oil, but they have to be cleaned often. Thanks

I also used to buy cheap white panty hose at the dollar store and use them on the last couple enduro bikes I had. They worked great when it was real dry and dusty riding the sandy trails in the western part of northern Michigan. I don't think using a filter oil would be very good as it might do more harm than good, especially with m-tronic.
That fine dust is a pain to get out of the pleats on the air filter, even with compressd air and a tooth brush.
I'm going to call Outerwears and see how much for them to make one based on my filter size. I'll double check to make sure I don't have any clearance issues with the cover before I buy anything.
Thanks to all of you! I appreciate all the replies. :rock:

I run an outerwear pre filter on my ms261cm and it fits Greta and performs very well. Certain wood and certain conditions are worse than others (dull chains equal more fine dust for example and of course I use a sharp chain whenever possible). To me the pre filter has no downsides and only benefits, just like others have mentioned the off-road Motorsports industry embraces pre fillers, and if you think about it a chainsaw operated in a similar environment.

Wish I could help with sizing, I can't remember if I googled it or called outerwear, but I run them on all my saws.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run an outerwear pre filter on my ms261cm and it fits Greta and performs very well. Certain wood and certain conditions are worse than others (dull chains equal more fine dust for example and of course I use a sharp chain whenever possible). To me the pre filter has no downsides and only benefits, just like others have mentioned the off-road Motorsports industry embraces pre fillers, and if you think about it a chainsaw operated in a similar environment.

Wish I could help with sizing, I can't remember if I googled it or called outerwear, but I run them on all my saws.

Jason

I just went to their site. That make them for 3 Echo and 8 Stihl saws. That's all.

74aa897a65bffca760795fce762de008.jpg
5ab7cbbdf00ac33002af6c459d407f7e.jpg

I don't have a part number to help you, but here are some pics I just took of my ms261 for ya

Again very happy with outerwear products in general and for me, I will have one on every saw and piece of off road equipment I own

Jason

74aa897a65bffca760795fce762de008.jpg
5ab7cbbdf00ac33002af6c459d407f7e.jpg

I don't have a part number to help you, but here are some pics I just took of my ms261 for ya

Again very happy with outerwear products in general and for me, I will have one on every saw and piece of off road equipment I own

Jason

Thanks Jason! That's exactly what I'm looking for!! I really wish you had a part number, I was all over Outerwears website and could not find a pre-filter that is close to the size of our air filters.

I looked around and I think I found the part number I used.

Outerwears part # 20-1114

They make a black and an orange pre filter.

Hope this helps

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before seeing your reply, I actually called them yesterday morning and with the help of their salesperson, I ordered exactly what I've been wanting!
Thanks again Jason for helping out!!
I'll post a pic when it arrives.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Outerwear has tons of products that will fit many more applications than their search engine dictates. Sometimes if you know the dimensions and shape of what you need they will have you covered just not referenced as an exact fit for your application even though the fit is perfect.

Jason

I sent Outerwears an e-mail message in regards to the part # 20-1114. They told me the pre-filter is 3" in diameter and 1.5" tall.

Think I'm going to order one myself for my MS-261 C-M.

UPDATE: I tried to place the order on-line and had some difficulty. I had to call their toll-free number to find out how to place an order. :dizzy:

I also had to update my address on their website, I place the order, only to find out the updated address change didn't take. I printed out the receipt, to see the pre-filter was going to be shipped to the old address. :dumb2:

So, I called their toll-free number again, to correct the shipping address. New address was manually entered into their system by the sales guy. I verified the part # and the price. All now is good to go.

Oh yeah, and I chose the faster cutting color of orange. :rock2:

I purchased a pre-filter for my MS-461R shortly after I bought it. When the pre-filter arrived, it looked good and all that, but I wasn't all that impressed with the way it fit the actual filter.

And, to add just a bit more frustration, it didn't allow the cover to properly fit back on the saw as it should. The top of the air filter and the cover that goes over it, is extremely close. The pre-filter added just enough height to cause issues.

I removed the pre-filter and put it back in it's package. Not saying you will have the same problem, just making you aware of the possibility. I too, have an MS-261 C-M. I'm not running a pre-filter on it and it's doing just fine.
Funny you say this....I got 2-outer wear filters for my 461, hoping they would be great....well I am about to just "put them in the bag" myself, lol....they may keep some bigger pieces out, but hell the bigger pieces fall out when you tap out the filter anyway....

Are the pre-filters you have the outer-wear brand??

Funny you say this....I got 2-outer wear filters for my 461, hoping they would be great....well I am about to just "put them in the bag" myself, lol....they may keep some bigger pieces out, but hell the bigger pieces fall out when you tap out the filter anyway....

Are the pre-filters you have the outer-wear brand??

The pre-filter I ordered for my MS-461R was an Outerwears brand. The part # was 20-2471-05. The fit between the top of the air filter and the plastic cover that goes on the saw is extremely close. So much so, that I wasn't happy with the fit with the pre-filter on the air filter.

The space between the air filter on my MS-261 and it's cover doesn't look to be an issue.

Nothing but positive results from "Outerwear" brand pre filters in probably 20 different applications over the years. Pertinent to this forum I am thoroughly happy with the pre filters from outerwear on my ms441cm and ms261cm.

In my experience the pre filter allows the filter to do its job and concentrate on keeping the smaller stuff out. The outerwear helps block water and big chunks from taking up plete surface area.

Your mileage may vary, but nothing but positive results.

Please don't get me started on k&n that's a whole other story with not so great results... I'm not drinking yet so please let's not ruin this thread with another mention of the oiled purple filter company. My apologies...

Jason

I have a Craftsman shop vac. It's a 12 gal. model. I made a pre-filter for it. I went to Home Depot and bought some air conditioner filter material.

It comes packaged with two sheets approx. 24" x 15" x 1/4". My shop vac has a round canister type filter. I took one of the sheets and cut it slightly and wrapped it around the shop vac filter and secured it in place with two rubber bands.

Talk about doing a great job. It stops all the big stuff from getting tot he shop vac filter. It makes cleaning the filter so much easier and faster, it's unbelievable. The material I used is water proof and is reusable over and over. It dries in the sun in minutes, literally. You can shake it out if you like, vs. cleaning it with water.

I did think about using some of it on a saw filter. But, it's more open and coarse than an Outerwears pre-filter material.

http://www.sears.com/outland-ac-302...clsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI-Z-5mwzdUCFUt8YgodWd0JcA#

Latest posts

Back