Pre-Filter for Air Filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this filter / pre-filter talk got me to thinking about my MS-461R again.

I went out and got my 461 out. I removed the cover and it's air filter. I then dug out the Outwears pre-filter for it and removed it from it's package. I did some close looking at the inside of the saw cover and the space for the air filter.

I removed the air filter from the saw, installed the Outerwears cover on the air filter, and then inserted the air filter back into the inside of the cover and positioned it correctly. THEN, I put the cover back on the saw.

Now, it fits much better and the cover feels "right" when I put it back on the saw. I made sure that the seams on the Outerwears cover doesn't extend over and onto the sides of the air filter, insuring a good and proper seal against the throat of the carb and the back of the cover.

My Echo CS352 brush saw was getting dust in the carb inlet. I made a prefiilter from thin oiled foam filter material. On that saw most of the air that reaches the filter enters the airbox through the carb adjustment screw holes. I cut a small piece of foam that fits along that side of the airbox. It helps quite a bit.

The filterskins are probably better though. I might get one for the 362CM

image.jpeg I ordered the Outerwears Pre-Filter with the water repellent material. I've run two tanks of gas through my MS261 and I pretty happy with the results since it kept out a lot more of the dust allowing me to run my saw longer before having to clean and swap out filters. My only gripe is that that 1.5" height is actually 2.25", so it a little baggy - not a big deal though.

Back