Preferred axe pattern for wedge banger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what your preference is in a axe used primarily for banging wedges? I’ve got a 3 1/4 pound Collins Dayton pattern axe head I’ll be hanging on a 26” WCS handle which is gonna be my dedicated wedge banger. Had to do a little cleanup on the head, back end was a bit beat up from being hit with a hammer or who knows what. Haven’t put a edge on it yet. Anyway would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• 7A6A6531-4E38-40CC-91D1-D6B8C3E04F43.jpeg
    7A6A6531-4E38-40CC-91D1-D6B8C3E04F43.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 3BCE8EE0-9DA3-478D-9FE1-D230632508F8.jpeg
    3BCE8EE0-9DA3-478D-9FE1-D230632508F8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Was wondering what your preference is in a axe used primarily for banging wedges? I’ve got a 3 1/4 pound Collins Dayton pattern axe head I’ll be hanging on a 26” WCS handle which is gonna be my dedicated wedge banger. Had to do a little cleanup on the head, back end was a bit beat up from being hit with a hammer or who knows what. Haven’t put a edge on it yet. Anyway would love to hear your thoughts.
My wedge banger is a two lbs dead blow hammer with a long handle, that hangs in my overalls. Wedges in my chaps pouch or hip pocket. I quit carrying an axe.. I always leave the double bit axe in the truck till I need it. When I carried an axe I had to paint it fox pecker pink so I could find it cause of not using it. As much as I like swinging the thing, was only using the hammer end. Used to swing it like a golf club,,,, now I use a saw.

you'll split the eye on an axe eventually assuming you are splitting wood. Sledge or a maul

My question, along the same lines as the OP, is What handle length do you like as a wedge banger? I never had a "dedicated" wedge banger, but I always used my trusty Collins that I've had for eons... but really the handle is too long for that, but it's what I always have with me. I was just in HF last weekend, and they had a hickory handled hatchet with I think a 1.5lb head... and with the clearance discount, I think I ended up paying 5.98 or something like that... so it followed me home. The handle looks like pretty good grain in it. I took it to my bench grinder yesterday and put an edge on it, and that thing seems to be made out of some pretty tough steel the way it ground... I think that thing will have triple duty... wedge banger, splitter hatchet, and It is almost exactly 16" from the top of the head to the end of the handle, so it can replace the 16" guage stick in my saw crate.

We'll see how it does...

I have a tree service. When I go to the job, I take a couple axes. I like a 28"-32" axe with a wider poll and a sharp-ish blade (not a splitter). Around 3 - 3.5 lbs.

I use the axe for any wedge driving, and for rolling logs, pulling rounds on to my two wheel cart, and picking up rounds. A sharpish concave blade means I can stick it into the rounds pretty easily, but remove it easily.

I prefer a straight handle, but I have some curved I like (not crazy, like a french curve). Hope this makes sense.

I have a tree service. When I go to the job, I take a couple axes. I like a 28"-32" axe with a wider poll and a sharp-ish blade (not a splitter). Around 3 - 3.5 lbs.

I use the axe for any wedge driving, and for rolling logs, pulling rounds on to my two wheel cart, and picking up rounds. A sharpish concave blade means I can stick it into the rounds pretty easily, but remove it easily.

I prefer a straight handle, but I have some curved I like (not crazy, like a french curve). Hope this makes sense.
This is exactly the kind of information I wanna hear. Seems like a straight handle would be better since it will swing like a bat. 3 to 3.5 pound head seems logical to me as well. Heavy enough to do the job but not so heavy as to make it harder than it has to be.

In the residential tree service trade a two or three pound hammer is fine with a 14" or 16" handle. In the woods I prefer a full size splitting maul around 6 or 8lbs. You can split wood, drive wedges or just about anything with it. Plastic/fiberglass handle with nice contours adds to it. Mine is never far from the truck unless it's out in brush. Red handle is best to find it after dark. They didn't offer orange or pink. It's pink now :) so I should paint the head orange. It does need to be replaced because some fool decided to use it as wedge right after he jammed the chipper and grounded a few chains. That guy didn't last a week and was fired. I'll get you a pic. I'm tall with long limbs.

The usual suspects and one universal tool. The top is now cracked in two places and the epoxy is crushed and loose. It's time for semi retirement for this tool.

Only good for a wedge now. As you see the proper tool was available to split large chunks or just use a big saw not ruin tools. Still prefer a short hammer myself on the overalls loop or a large hatchet in the brush.20230208_142900.jpg

Attachments

• 20230208_142838.jpg
    20230208_142838.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_142952.jpg
    20230208_142952.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_142927.jpg
    20230208_142927.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_142918.jpg
    20230208_142918.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_142855.jpg
    20230208_142855.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_142913.jpg
    20230208_142913.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
The usual suspects and one universal tool. The top is now cracked in two places and the epoxy is crushed and loose. It's time for semi retirement for this tool.

Only good for a wedge now. As you see the proper tool was available to split large chunks or just use a big saw not ruin tools. Still prefer a short hammer myself on the overalls loop or a large hatchet in the brush.

Here's my mini Monster maul. It's quite the durable piece and rides in my chainsaw support 4 gallon milk crate along with 5 quarts of fuel mix, a gallon of bar oil, a paint brush for cleaning around the fill lids, a chain tool and two plastic wedges.

Chain Saw support system 002.JPG

I forget what brand of head it is, but I carry a 4lb axe...I recently rehandled it with a 27" Council straight handle.

4lbs is the "goldilocks" weight for a falling axe for me. A lot of guys at work carry 5 pounders, I prefer the speed I can get with the 4. Anything smaller than 4 and it's inadequate when driving wedges in large conifers.

IMG_20230212_153617722.jpg

I forget what brand of head it is, but I carry a 4lb axe...I recently rehandled it with a 27" Council straight handle.

4lbs is the "goldilocks" weight for a falling axe for me. A lot of guys at work carry 5 pounders, I prefer the speed I can get with the 4. Anything smaller than 4 and it's inadequate when driving wedges in large conifers.

View attachment 1057438
Nice. I’ll see how this axe performs, if I need a little extra weight I got another head I can hang.

4 lb head, 26” straight handle is what I prefer. It also depends how far you have to carry it and exactly what type of tree work you are doing. A good axe comes in handy for sure. I recommend painting the handle bright colors so you can find it easily if you lay it down.(Ask me how I know)

Back