Prescription Safety Glasses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Was wondering what you guys wear for glasses in the bush?
They seem to take a beating. I lost mine 2 weeks ago and ordered the best pair I could.
Are there any optic stores in the U.S or Canada that specialize in safety glasses where I could send my prescription for a spare pair?
Also, what's better, glass or plastic?
Thanks,
John

from what i understand any optimoligist can order the RX in safety glass,,i am not for sure because i have been wearing contacts for 32 years

We get prescription eye glasses provided at our job site. I'm not sure of the current provider but it was formerly Gibson.

from what i understand any optimoligist can order the RX in safety glass,,i am not for sure because i have been wearing contacts for 32 years

Contacts are not an option for me as I suffer from dry eyes, probably due to the cord of sawdust and needles that got in my eyes over the years.
I'm wondering if I'd be a candidate for laser eye surgery and if anyone else here has had laser eye treatment?
Regardless I would still need safety glasses, as squinting just doesn't cut it. Lol
John

Was wondering what you guys wear for glasses in the bush?
They seem to take a beating. I lost mine 2 weeks ago and ordered the best pair I could.
Are there any optic stores in the U.S or Canada that specialize in safety glasses where I could send my prescription for a spare pair?
Also, what's better, glass or plastic?
Thanks,
John

The Wal-Marts around here do safety glasses.

Any good optical shop should be able to get you prescription safety glasses without a problem. You can order them online but you need to have a measurement of the distance between your eyes. Even then, glasses will need a few final tweaks to be comfortable. I find it easier to just go to an optical shop.
If you looking for an impact resistant frame (meets ANSI Z87-2 standards ¼ steel ball at 150fps) it takes time to make them as only certain labs are allowed to mount the lenses. As far as style, go with lightest polycarbonate lenses you can get away with. Have the lenses coated for UV and scratch resistance. All the frames make you look like a geek but it beats a sharp stick in the eye or worse.

As far as style, go with lightest polycarbonate lenses you can get away with. Have the lenses coated for UV and scratch resistance. All the frames make you look like a geek but it beats a sharp stick in the eye or worse.

:agree2:

And whatever you do, do NOT get the self-darkening lenses! They get dark in the cold, whether you need it or not, and then they FAIL to get dark inside your vehicle because the windows block enough UV to keep them from darkening. So, when you really need it driving down the road, it's not doing a bit of good. :dizzy:

Don't get glass lenses either get the polycarbonate ones. I broke my glass one 15 years ago and the eye Dr said i was real lucky not getting glass in my eye. In fact he wanted my old pair to hang up to show people. I 2nd either walmart or even lens crafters...Bob

safety glasses

I had to wear them on one job, company provided but cheap plastic lenses.
I use 1.25 reading glasses for closer tasks, like viewing the screen on
this laptop. If I was using them outdoors in a chainsaw environment, I would want the best I could afford, the auto darkening lenses look great too.
Arc welders use these in their helmets these days.

I'm wondering if I'd be a candidate for laser eye surgery and if anyone else here has had laser eye treatment?

Only your optometrist can answer that. I am not a candidate, according to my dr., but I have several friends and/or their spouses who've done it and all but one like it. The one is a sad case where stuff went wrong and he, formerly a machinist, is now legally blind and cannot work or drive. That's why he is "formerly". The others are all happy with their laser outcome. I am probably talking about 8 people; every one of them needed glasses within a year or so of getting the laser surgery, but they have much milder prescriptions now than before and all of them were told by their doctors, prior to the surgery, that many people do need glasses again after a while. What some people do not consider is that their eyes continue to age and change and laser does not stop that process. It does, of course, start one out at a better stage than had they not had it. I can't afford it and am not a candidate, so I have interest in it only due to watching my friends get it. My optometrist told me, when I asked him about the continued aging stuff, that many patients think they'll spend mucho dinero and throw away their eye glasses, free at last, and are upset when they find out later on that they'll need glasses again. As I said, though, most of my friends are still happy they did it.

Last edited:
try a helmet with a steel mesh face screen

I have worn glasses for the last 45 years, and I sweat a lot when I'm cutting wood. I doubt safety glasses would work for me because of the fogging issues. You can get a strap at most any opticians office to keep your existing glasses on your face so they cannot fall off. I use a Stihl helmet with integrated ear muffs and a steel mesh flip-down face shield to protect the eyes. I used to use a polycarbonate shield but it fogs up too. The mesh works very well, and while I occasionally get a bit of sawdust in my eyes, nothing with any velocity will ever hit my face.

And or course if you keep your cutters sharp, you won't be in any sawdust to begin with!

Fogging wasn't an issue for you, but there is a product called "cat crap" that you can put on your lenses to help prevent fogging. I think it is essentially a wax that condensation cannot adhere to.

hey John, I've got some uvex safety glasses with a prescription insert. The insert is metal and very durable. It clips inside the safety lens. The arms, lens and everything else are replaceable and not expensive so you just take good care of the prescription insert and replace the other plastic parts as needed.

Regardless I would still need safety glasses, as squinting just doesn't cut it. Lol
John

I had laser surgery done in I think March or April this year. I previously had 20/20 vision with glasses but now have even better vision after the surgery (there are a few levels of 20/20).
No complaints at all mate. In Australia it cost me AUD$5200 (about USD$5000) but I'm sure you guys would get it cheaper than that.
It's only suited for people who are short sighted and you also have to get tested first as some people's corneas aren't thick enough for Lasik. I also got a 5 year warranty so that if I need further surgery in that time it is free.
I am absolutely happy as a pig in sh*t :)

I had mine done here...

http://www.aelc.com.au/lvc.htm

If you'd like to get yours done in Australia John I'll save you a bed and beer :cheers:

Nothing to be afraid of. Surgery only takes about 10-15 minutes and in that time the laser is actually only running for about 5 seconds. For those interested a vapourised cornea smells like burnt hair :D As soon as it's complete you leave the surgery like you're in thick fog and for about a week it feels like you've got dirt in your eyes. The instances of errors or complaints is very very small and less than 1%. I'm 36 y.o. and the surgeon has already told me that no matter what he does I may still need reading glasses in my early 40's. As a rule with younger people the surgery will be effective for around 8-10 years. I know numerous people that have had it done and all love it. Some have had it for over 7-8 years and still have excellent vision.

Last edited:
:agree2:

And whatever you do, do NOT get the self-darkening lenses! They get dark in the cold, whether you need it or not, and then they FAIL to get dark inside your vehicle because the windows block enough UV to keep them from darkening. So, when you really need it driving down the road, it's not doing a bit of good. :dizzy:

:agree2:I have had nothing but the same issues with my self-darkening,will not get again.

Any good optical shop should be able to get you prescription safety glasses without a problem. As far as style, go with lightest polycarbonate lenses you can get away with. Have the lenses coated for UV and scratch resistance. All the frames make you look like a geek but it beats a sharp stick in the eye or worse.

I was wearing my safety glasses and my Stihl helmet with the visor down but still got a sharp stick in the eye last evening, luckily no serious damage.

Pioneerguy600

I have been chipping brush with a helmet and face screen and safety glasses and I have had branches whip under both the face screen and under the glasses and hit me in the eye. Birch is great for this. I have also had the glasses pulled right off my face and into the chipper. Scary, but I know folks who run chippers without a helmet, hearing protection or safety glasses! I also get crap in my eyes all the time despite the face screen and glasses. Cutting tress is rough on you.

I too have done it so many times that our family doctor says he will shoot me himself if I go back to him with another, woods related, eye injury. It would have to be really serious before I step into his office again. LOL. Between welding, grinding metal and woods work there are just so many opportunities to get something in ones eyes even if safety glasses are worn, ricocheting debris always finds it way to me.

Pioneerguy600

I get migraines if the light is too bright. I use welding safety glasses frames with the mesh sideshields. My lenses are pretty dar to begin with, I also have anti-reflective coatings on the inside to prevent any additional light getting into my eyes.

They have always worked great for me.

Back