Price of stihl bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I stocked up a little on the premix also, his prices are $5.50 for the 6-pack 1 gallon, and $7.50 for the 6-pack 2.5 gallons. 20" yellow chains $15, 18" were $14 and my 20" bar was $33, all Stihl. It is about a 30 minute country drive to Chamois Missouri, but when we go we stock up. I see why they are voted 'best Stihl dealer in Missouri'. They greet you at the door, and work on your saw while you wait, plug, tunes ups, etc. Kind of neat 'ol farm place.

It seems like your dealer had good prices all the way around. I would be stocking up too!

It seems like your dealer had good prices all the way around. I would be stocking up too!
:agree2: I was thinking it might have been a bit pricier like when I go in the local dealerships. Everything on the shelf seems to be full retail. It just gets better'n better.

I pay $7 and a few pennies for the normal Stihl oil and the winter oil. I saw talk a while back of people paying $14-16 per gallon so I got a case of the regular and a case of the winter oil.

vegetable oil , does it work? i have gallons of the recycled veg oil for my diesel car that is filtered. Do you all that that would work for bar oil???

Are you guys running the blue stihl bar oil in the winter? I picked up 2 jugs @ $14.95 each at my dealer--:dizzy:

vegetable oil , does it work? i have gallons of the recycled veg oil for my diesel car that is filtered. Do you all that that would work for bar oil???

As previously stated I have been running this stuff for about 2 years now and have not noticed any excessive wear on the bars or any excess heat when cutting. In the winter I usually mix it about 80/20 veggie/stihl winter to keep the oil from getting to thick until the saw warms up. I had a 24" bar on the 441 buried in some 28" red oak the other day no problems what so ever.

Seems to me that the $ 16.95 a gallon store is doing some price gouging and Stihl should be called in to intervene. I am sure they don't want their dealers charging more than list price......if there is one for oil.

That day I bought the bar oil at $40 per case, I asked another dealer his price, and he told me "all Stihl dealers should be selling it at the MSRP of $14.99". I think the manufacture and distributors want Stihl prices to be somewhat the same at all places. Brandt can probably get away with it cause they have been a dealer in business since the early 60s, and sell a ton of saws, bars, chains, parts, and their service is the best. Old tin building next to their home place, down a gravel county road (317).

5-6 , and a quart of Dextron tranny fluid to mix with some for the VI Super 2. Not all of it is for firewood. Jacket weather is a good time to go after cedars.

Why is this stuff so expensive? Space age polymers? Magic? What?

I dare say the Stihl brand is spendy because you are paying for the name stamped on the bottle.
I have used many different brands over the years, and have never found one oil that was signicantly better than the rest.
I did buy some cheap stuff one time from our local Western Auto store, it was in the neighborhood of 3 bucks a gallon, and it flung right off the bar. After 10 minutes of cutting I noticed a very thin blue line on the rails of the bar developing, and threw the junk back in the truck and dragged out what was left of my old bar oil to finish for the day.
Other than that, it seems that most bar oil is just that, bar oil.

How much do I really want to spend over the 5-6 year life of the bar trying to preserve it anyway ? Bars, chains, drums, and rims or sprockets are consumable products like the oil.

Thank you for speaking up, my thoughts exactly! Not worth debating over. Spend the $40 and buy a new bar and chain when it wears out!!! I just don't see getting the "premium" bar oil.

I dare say the Stihl brand is spendy because you are paying for the name stamped on the bottle.
I have used many different brands over the years, and have never found one oil that was signicantly better than the rest.
I did buy some cheap stuff one time from our local Western Auto store, it was in the neighborhood of 3 bucks a gallon, and it flung right off the bar. After 10 minutes of cutting I noticed a very thin blue line on the rails of the bar developing, and threw the junk back in the truck and dragged out what was left of my old bar oil to finish for the day.
Other than that, it seems that most bar oil is just that, bar oil.

Same thing I found. I bought this oil called chain pro from our local farm and fleet. It smelled like drain oil. It worked when it was cold but when it got warm(above 50f) it nearly ran out of the saw.

I use poulan, husky and woodland pro oil. At all flies off the bar, no since in spending too much $$ for it.

5-6 , and a quart of Dextron tranny fluid to mix with some for the VI Super 2. Not all of it is for firewood. Jacket weather is a good time to go after cedars.

My FIL told me once that back in the 70's he used to run 30 wt and stp mixed together. An old logger at the local saw shop told him about the mix. He used all the time.

I went to the local true value hardware store the other day after reading this thread and the summer or winter grade Stihl bar oil was $19.99 a gallon.

I then happen to stop at my local gas station to buy gas this morning and get windshield wash and surprisingly enough, in front of the register, under the counter I spot both kinds of Stihl bar oil and checked the price............

$9.99 a gallon! :jawdrop:

Yup, I bought one of each.. I am thinking of going back and buying the other 2 gallons he had there... and funny thing is, that gas station charges more for gas than anyone around here because the next gas station (and the true value) are 10 miles away. LOL

score! :greenchainsaw:

Thanks for the thread! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back